U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 12:57 PM

23,698 posts, read 16,014,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I know it should of been addressed years ago because I talked about it years ago... liberals at that time didn't care about foreign countries unless we didn't send them money or something... conservatives were fine with cheap goods... The US government does currency manipulation all the time, in fact, every country with a currency does it... even the Euro... So I think it is ironic that we ask China to stop their currency manipulation but we continue to manipulate the dollar... you want to know why? Cause the Chinese can manipulate their currency better than we can... that's why... sad, huh.... I am curious of how liberals would attack the situation since I know the liberal stance on spending and revenue... I wonder how receptive China is on buying more overpriced US goods and sending over even cheaper Chinese goods as well as paying an extra tariff... hehehe... we'll see... unfortunately, if the a democrat was to write this bill it would of been... doa... but it does leave a lot of time for good rhetoric...
Quote:
In 2010, the U.S. trade deficit with China was $252 billion. This was down slightly from the record of $268 billion set in 2008, the largest in the world between any two countries. The deficit means that the U.S. exported $82 billion in goods and services to China (double its 2005 exports), while it imported over $334 billion (second only to 2006 levels).
Quote:
The U.S. trade deficit with China means that U.S. companies that can't compete with cheap Chinese goods must either lower their costs or go out of business. To lower their costs, many companies have started outsourcing to India and China, adding to U.S. unemployment. Other industries have simply dried up. U.S. manufacturing, as measured by the number of jobs, declined 34% between 1998 and 2010. As these industries declined, so has U.S. competitiveness in the global marketplace.
US China Trade Deficit Explanation and Why the US Trade Deficit with China Is Important
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 12:59 PM

805 posts, read 1,190,321 times
Before Wal-Mart came to my little home town, I was forced to shop at substandard grocery stores, an outdated K-Mart which offered poor service and often didn't have things advertised in their circulars, and a small, dingy Ames (originally Hills) which didn't have all I needed in one spot. The local mom and pop shops were often dirty and expensive. Then Target came along several years later after Ames shut their doors.

Those places should have gotten their act together and offer customers something unique. Some didn't and failed. While I believe Wal-Mart contributed to some of this, most of the closures of smaller stores is not Wal-Mart's fault.

Old 10-09-2011, 01:01 PM

14,095 posts, read 22,963,452 times
On meat and vegetables I agree. However, you can get 250 or 300 thread count cotton sheets at Walmart as well as some name brand small appliances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
Driving to 4 or more places is good for the economy .. I do it .. H.E.B, Big Lots, Albertsons, Kroger, Sears ..

Walmart is much to cumbersome, what with their 90 acre parking lots and poorly managed departments .. not real big on the social mecca scale for sure.

The difference between me and a Walmart customer? .. I like my meat and veggies fresh .. I like real, functioning appliances and other accessories .. I like a 200 thread count or higher on things like sheets and towels .. I like quality .. if I were to ever want what Walmart has to sell, I'll by from those "as seen on TV" venues on the internet, or visit the local dollar store.

The writing is on the wall for Walmart, and they know it .. They are hemorrhaging money hand over fist, and haven't turned a bottom line profit in over 18 months .. the days of the "mega-store" are numbered.

Wal-Mart Stores to Begin Downsizing | AsItBreaks.com

Could we be seeing the end of Walmart altogether? I hope so .. I'd like to see them go the way of J.J. Newberry's to be quite frank .. They are a huge drain on the local economies across the nation ..

Old 10-09-2011, 03:29 PM

16,785 posts, read 19,628,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
But is there a difference between walmart and target or kmart or any fast food establishment?
Well the difference is Walmart was taking life insurance policies out on it's employees without their knowledge, and collecting the money if they died.
Here is a an example of just one.

"Jane Sims always knew her husband was a valuable employee to Wal-Mart. She just didn't know how valuable. Sims discovered recently that Wal-Mart, the company her husband, Douglas, worked for before he died, had taken out a life insurance policy in his name. When Douglas Sims died in 1998 of a sudden heart attack, Wal-Mart received about $64,000. She got nothing from that policy."

A great company!

Old 10-09-2011, 03:59 PM

32,798 posts, read 30,025,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
More demonizing WalMart because they are non-union?
You can find the same freaks, fatties and bizarre at the Big 3 here is SD.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:05 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,506,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Well the difference is Walmart was taking life insurance policies out on it's employees without their knowledge, and collecting the money if they died.

"Jane Sims always knew her husband was a valuable employee to Wal-Mart. She just didn't know how valuable. Sims discovered recently that Wal-Mart, the company her husband, Douglas, worked for before he died, had taken out a life insurance policy in his name. When Douglas Sims died in 1998 of a sudden heart attack, Wal-Mart received about $64,000. She got nothing from that policy."

A great company!
The hell? Maybe that's why they only hire the sick and the elderly.

But on a different matter, my sister has adopted this trailer park persona that it's okay to dress skanky to Wal Mart because everyone she knows does it. She tries to tag along with me when I go wearing daisy dukes and a torn tank top, and she's fat on top if it. Her husband doesn't seem to care since he's from that mold anyway, but it's disturbing that people get so comfortable in wearing just about anything when they go there.

Then again it reminds me of a convention back in '01 where people don't shower regularly.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:19 PM

11,425 posts, read 16,657,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

A great company!
Do you have a link to this? was this a long time ago? I don't think anyone can take out a life insurance policy on you without your permission. Many years ago I think you could but I thought it was changed. I could be wrong.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:32 AM

3,441 posts, read 4,983,184 times
There were two other very large corporations that destroyed a lot of "small business" and no one screamed about them ... Their names ?? Kroger and The A&P.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:57 AM

771 posts, read 827,806 times
No, those are just fellow Americans

Old 10-10-2011, 01:10 AM

19,269 posts, read 20,147,764 times
I think the people at Whole Foods are stranger.

Last edited by Yeledaf; 10-10-2011 at 01:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies