U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 04:59 AM

2,654 posts, read 2,820,987 times

Advertisements

Some companies have more granular programs enabling employees to designate most any legitimate charity. Especially if they also match, they may not allow some types such as political and religious or others. Payroll deductions can even either be one time or per pay period. This all can be (and is) done, but requires more sophisticated HR and payroll processing.

Donating to only the United Way is easier and cheaper for a business. Management retains the (somewhat legitimate...) notion of 'spreading the wealth' across various needy groups via the UW and thus giving back to the broad community.

The 'blackmail' piece is unfortunate if and where it occurs. Not every business does this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 05:08 AM

1,853 posts, read 2,028,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
Some companies have more granular programs enabling employees to designate most any legitimate charity. Especially if they also match, they may not allow some types such as political and religious or others. Payroll deductions can even either be one time or per pay period. This all can be (and is) done, but requires more sophisticated HR and payroll processing.

Donating to only the United Way is easier and cheaper for a business. Management retains the (somewhat legitimate...) notion of 'spreading the wealth' across various needy groups via the UW and thus giving back to the broad community.

The 'blackmail' piece is unfortunate if and where it occurs. Not every business does this.
My company participates in the UW campaign but, there is no arm twisting to contribute. They do ask for a response which doesn't bother me. I respond and simply say that I choose not to participate.

Last edited by Bagger; 10-09-2011 at 05:17 AM..

Old 10-09-2011, 05:11 AM

6,237 posts, read 8,246,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural lady View Post
I know what you mean, I used to work for one of the huge giants and then the United Way time came around, they tried to make you feel guilty if you did not donate, finally i said no that I donate to my own charites.

I don't know what their deal is but I sure got tired of it.
I got tired of it too. I worked for a big retail company this summer, and two weeks before I had to quit and move out of state, my manager pressured me to donate to unted way so that they could say that they could have 100% participation. I found this really annoying. I mean, you already weren't paying me much as it is, and then you want me to siphon off part of my paycheck to make yourself look good? No thanks. Besides I was almost done working for them anyway. What's one paycheck going to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I put down $0.01 as my donation every year just to say I participated to get my office's numbers up.

I find the United Way highly offensive the way they go after money.
Me too. I give the bare minumum to United Way and give to my own charities.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:19 AM

21,044 posts, read 19,009,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
This is one of the perplexing conundrums that comes around every year, and I can't figure out what's behind it. It's about the United Way, and the strong-arm tactics employers use to force employees to contribute.

My employer is a large and typically cut-throat Big Business. It does NOTHING for charitable reasons, and the employees themselves are worked to death while losing more and more of their compensation every year in cost-shifting of benefits. The corporation is so tight with money that when it keeps people working 24 to 36 hours straight on a "plant emergency," it won't even subsidize meals (the managers generally pay for meals for the team out of their own pockets). In order to circumvent labor hour laws, we are "off the clock" (unpaid) for anything over regular hours--which is "legal" since we're "exempt employees."

Every year the United Way drive comes up, and employees are blackmailed into participating. If you don't participate at all, you WILL be laid off in the annual reviews, no matter WHAT your job level or performance (yes, it happened more than once). The higher up, the more money you are expected to contribute, and for those of us in our peak earning years, the amount is VERY painful. Especially when you have your own charities that you like to support directly, and you don't approve of the United Way.

My question is this (and I ask this to those who have INSIDER KNOWLEDGE): What does the employer (the Big Business) get out of the United Way Campaign? It is NOT just goodwill, since this corporation has none, and could care less how people view it. Is it a direct payment to the greedy CEO and his top-level executives? Is it simply a power play, that the Narcissistic executives get a power-kick from forcing employees to give up their very hard earned money? Or does it have something to do with the fact that the corporations get to charge the employees bi-weekly, while only handing money over to United Way once or twice a year (a tactic used by UPS to get large amounts of interest on money that belongs to clients?)?
Thank you for bringing up this yearly extortion by those scam artists, United Way, with the help of their scam artists tax cheating friends, corporate executives.

When I worked I never NEVER gave but knew some employees who felt guilty if they didn't...and the corporation took advantage of that.

Just another way corporations will wring every penny out of the average American worker...while using it to cheat on their taxes.

It's funny but years ago when the annual Extortion drive came around we were treated to a dinner!..as time passed it dwindled down to a piece of old candy!! But we still had to listen to the Sob Story and turn in our little cards...

I never understood the hold that United Way had over every corporation in America....who IS behind them, WHO are they blackmailing??

Old 10-09-2011, 05:42 AM

7,136 posts, read 10,667,768 times
Interesting responses. I too felt pressured to give and one year wrote out my check to the Salvation Army and submitted it. I was talked to because my check was "inappropriate". I explained that I wanted my donation to go to a charity I believed in, but they were not happy. That was the last year I donated to their campaign, but they definitely pressured us year after year and as time went on it was clearly stated that they wanted a donation from each pay check not a lump sum. It always felt dirty to me.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:42 AM

2,654 posts, read 2,820,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
My company participates in the UW campaign but, there is no arm twisting to contribute. They do ask for a response which doesn't bother me. I respond and simply say that I choose not to participate.
I meant to add this...administered this way, it is OK with me as well. I would opt for a one time gift to a charity of my choice.

I also think that between the economy and some changing tax laws, many (often worthy) charities are really hurting. Even small gifts help.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:00 AM

28,965 posts, read 15,527,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post

My question is this (and I ask this to those who have INSIDER KNOWLEDGE): What does the employer (the Big Business) get out of the United Way Campaign? It is NOT just goodwill, since this corporation has none, and could care less how people view it. Is it a direct payment to the greedy CEO and his top-level executives? Is it simply a power play, that the Narcissistic executives get a power-kick from forcing employees to give up their very hard earned money? Or does it have something to do with the fact that the corporations get to charge the employees bi-weekly, while only handing money over to United Way once or twice a year (a tactic used by UPS to get large amounts of interest on money that belongs to clients?)?

This happened to me back in the 1970s. I guess some things never change. I was young and didn't believe a company would do that, and almost got fired for not contributing. I caved in because I needed the job, but have not been a supporter of UW ever since.

It's not about the CEO or the corporation making money. It's all about their reputation in the local community. Upper management has to be viewed as good guys in their community. So if their reputation is bad, they will likely pressure employees even more.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:15 AM

18,107 posts, read 16,448,492 times
I think its good to donate for United Way, particularly if its for your own local area. My company promotes donations for the The United Way and I donate. But then I read how much my company has collected in contributions for them and they look so generous and a very large portion of that was through their employees. I think they could do a little bit more to give credit where credit is due, but the important thing is that those in need get helped.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:33 AM

21,044 posts, read 19,009,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I think its good to donate for United Way, particularly if its for your own local area. My company promotes donations for the The United Way and I donate. But then I read how much my company has collected in contributions for them and they look so generous and a very large portion of that was through their employees. I think they could do a little bit more to give credit where credit is due, but the important thing is that those in need get helped.
But do they?

DO the people it's intended for get the help? And how much help? After the money filters through the paper work, the administrative payroll of both UW and the corporation?

It's much more efficient and helpful to give to small local charities...or help out close friends and family personally.

And I wouldn't care how efficient or honest UW ever got, their tactic is extortion ....

Old 10-09-2011, 10:29 AM

9,782 posts, read 7,647,539 times
When DH worked for a big company he was told to contribute and pad his voucher. The United way pits companies against each other in competition.
When DH retired from the big company,he later went to work for a United way recipient. They were really pressured to contribute. I think they let him go because he would not. The recipient did not have to provide him with most of the benefits they gave younger employees because we still had health care from the former employer,etc. DH would not contribute because the CEO of the indigent senior citizens helper recipient company made $300,000 a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or