U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-09-2011, 10:43 AM
 
1,942 posts, read 769,161 times
Reputation: 1110
You can check how efficient your local United Way is here:
Charity Navigator - Your Search Results Check out how much the Executive Directors make in some major metropolitan areas.

I choose to support causes that I believe in and they receive the bulk of my donations. Every year I just do a one time donation to UW of $5.00 so that my employer can keep their participation numbers up. I absolutely do not agree with the program but choose my battles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-09-2011, 10:50 AM
 
10,187 posts, read 2,176,770 times
Reputation: 2562
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
This is one of the perplexing conundrums that comes around every year, and I can't figure out what's behind it. It's about the United Way, and the strong-arm tactics employers use to force employees to contribute.

My employer is a large and typically cut-throat Big Business. It does NOTHING for charitable reasons, and the employees themselves are worked to death while losing more and more of their compensation every year in cost-shifting of benefits. The corporation is so tight with money that when it keeps people working 24 to 36 hours straight on a "plant emergency," it won't even subsidize meals (the managers generally pay for meals for the team out of their own pockets). In order to circumvent labor hour laws, we are "off the clock" (unpaid) for anything over regular hours--which is "legal" since we're "exempt employees."

Every year the United Way drive comes up, and employees are blackmailed into participating. If you don't participate at all, you WILL be laid off in the annual reviews, no matter WHAT your job level or performance (yes, it happened more than once). The higher up, the more money you are expected to contribute, and for those of us in our peak earning years, the amount is VERY painful. Especially when you have your own charities that you like to support directly, and you don't approve of the United Way.

My question is this (and I ask this to those who have INSIDER KNOWLEDGE): What does the employer (the Big Business) get out of the United Way Campaign? It is NOT just goodwill, since this corporation has none, and could care less how people view it. Is it a direct payment to the greedy CEO and his top-level executives? Is it simply a power play, that the Narcissistic executives get a power-kick from forcing employees to give up their very hard earned money? Or does it have something to do with the fact that the corporations get to charge the employees bi-weekly, while only handing money over to United Way once or twice a year (a tactic used by UPS to get large amounts of interest on money that belongs to clients?)?
First off, you need to find a new employer.

Second, my company pushes the United Way too, no clue why all these companies push it so hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2011, 10:52 AM
 
11,735 posts, read 10,595,093 times
Reputation: 4237
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
This is one of the perplexing conundrums that comes around every year, and I can't figure out what's behind it. It's about the United Way, and the strong-arm tactics employers use to force employees to contribute.

My employer is a large and typically cut-throat Big Business. It does NOTHING for charitable reasons, and the employees themselves are worked to death while losing more and more of their compensation every year in cost-shifting of benefits. The corporation is so tight with money that when it keeps people working 24 to 36 hours straight on a "plant emergency," it won't even subsidize meals (the managers generally pay for meals for the team out of their own pockets). In order to circumvent labor hour laws, we are "off the clock" (unpaid) for anything over regular hours--which is "legal" since we're "exempt employees."

Every year the United Way drive comes up, and employees are blackmailed into participating. If you don't participate at all, you WILL be laid off in the annual reviews, no matter WHAT your job level or performance (yes, it happened more than once). The higher up, the more money you are expected to contribute, and for those of us in our peak earning years, the amount is VERY painful. Especially when you have your own charities that you like to support directly, and you don't approve of the United Way.

My question is this (and I ask this to those who have INSIDER KNOWLEDGE): What does the employer (the Big Business) get out of the United Way Campaign? It is NOT just goodwill, since this corporation has none, and could care less how people view it. Is it a direct payment to the greedy CEO and his top-level executives? Is it simply a power play, that the Narcissistic executives get a power-kick from forcing employees to give up their very hard earned money? Or does it have something to do with the fact that the corporations get to charge the employees bi-weekly, while only handing money over to United Way once or twice a year (a tactic used by UPS to get large amounts of interest on money that belongs to clients?)?
Welcome to what the Obama's Federal Government has become... your donations are now taxes... and the United Way is the government social programs... don't like it... well, then, according to liberals, you are the problem... instead of firing you, they level massive fines if you don't pay... does the government care how much bills you have to pay?

For instance, if the government raises my taxes by 10%... can I call up all the bills and say, I will be paying them 10% less? If not, why isn't it made into law? I suspect the government would never raise taxes after that... that's why... just because the government raise taxes doesn't change my bills one iota...

And to answer your question.. the company gets LEVERAGE... they can use United Way influence to got new contracts... influence the government... etc etc... money simply doesn't disappear... they are getting leverage and with leverage comes money...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2011, 11:04 AM
 
47,586 posts, read 32,237,646 times
Reputation: 21458
The place I work pushes UW very hard also.

It does make you wonder but I think it's the top CEO types who get credit for the employees contributing. I think it's better to pick your own charity and donate directly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2011, 11:24 AM
 
14,986 posts, read 8,156,932 times
Reputation: 6589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
They do ask for a response which doesn't bother me. I respond and simply say that I choose not to participate.
This is the other thing that totally turns me off to UW, why must I respond to their form?

The first time I refused to participate in any way shape or form I was called into the bosses office, that's when I decided to contribute $0.01 every year...

It's wrong, it's disgusting and un-American the way UW operates...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2011, 11:36 AM
 
10,187 posts, read 2,176,770 times
Reputation: 2562
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The place I work pushes UW very hard also.

It does make you wonder but I think it's the top CEO types who get credit for the employees contributing. I think it's better to pick your own charity and donate directly.
They even send us in-company mail to remind us if we have not filled out our contribution forms yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2011, 11:45 AM
 
3,009 posts, read 1,674,613 times
Reputation: 1966
Oh man, you just brought back a long forgotten memory of being bulldozed into UW contributions by the large corporations that I worked for years ago. But it does look like they've gotten more into the strong arm techniques now. Back in the olden days, they just try to guilt you but now it sounds like they are threatening you with your job. Someone needs to do an expose on this. There are many charitable causes and we give to ones that make sense for our family. I have never supported UW. Also, what percentage of donations goes to feeding the machine as opposed to helping people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2011, 11:57 AM
 
7,541 posts, read 2,294,553 times
Reputation: 1820
Odd, I work for a international company (employs over 10,000) and I've never been forced to donate to United Way.

The only donation/charity we've done this year was to help Japan after the Earth Quake in March for disaster relief (and that went to Red Cross) and that was just, "If you would like to" message. Our office raised $10,000



Other than that, no United way or other charity proposition at my place of work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2011, 11:58 AM
 
1,942 posts, read 769,161 times
Reputation: 1110
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
Oh man, you just brought back a long forgotten memory of being bulldozed into UW contributions by the large corporations that I worked for years ago. But it does look like they've gotten more into the strong arm techniques now. Back in the olden days, they just try to guilt you but now it sounds like they are threatening you with your job. Someone needs to do an expose on this. There are many charitable causes and we give to ones that make sense for our family. I have never supported UW. Also, what percentage of donations goes to feeding the machine as opposed to helping people?
I posted a link to Charity Navigator at the top of this page.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2011, 12:08 PM
 
4,134 posts, read 2,593,897 times
Reputation: 1574
It's employee subsidized advertising. The United Way actively promotes donors.
It's really no different than paying money to buy a Tee-shirt that advertises someone else's product.
The first rule of business is to never spend your own money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top