U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 03:10 PM

14,095 posts, read 22,963,452 times

Advertisements

I give to charity, my wife and father-in-law. When I was single I'd donate to the United Way charity of my choice. However, now I'm supporting a wife with spinal problems and her 86 year old father who lives with us and is on home oxygen in our 14"x48" two bedroom mobile home. We're trying to pay off debt at the same time as trying to put aside money to help get a bigger home we can afford. A new mobile home is our best option because we can custom order the home with doors wide enough for wheelchairs, handrails in the bathrooms, and high toilets surrounded by handrails. If anyone would like to give to charity, let me know and I'll send you my address where you cane send a check or money order.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 03:19 PM

29,988 posts, read 35,842,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
But then you lose a large amount to the administration of both the corporation and United Way--and United Way has HUGE administrative costs. No way they send my entire check to a specified recipient, and in fact I have ZERO confidence that they pay any attention AT ALL to those provisions. If they did, it would make the administration costs even more ridiculous.

I tend not to support the charities that are HEAVILY funded by our government already. After all, taxes are my family's #1 cost, and those largely go for the millions of social service "programs" (e.g., to help spoiled rich kids get off their designer drugs, or to help young single mothers who I do NOT want to encourage).

The charities I support get very little (if any) help from government: Planned Parenthood and other women's health services that the Religious Right hate, the no-kill animal shelters, the nature preservation groups that try to stop the destruction of natural habitat--these need all the help they can get.

Talk about the OP contradicting himself within his own posts.

If you don' think the organizations in your last paragraph get significant government funding you are ill informed indeed.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:32 PM

6,950 posts, read 5,215,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural lady View Post
I know what you mean, I used to work for one of the huge giants and then the United Way time came around, they tried to make you feel guilty if you did not donate, finally i said no that I donate to my own charites.

I don't know what their deal is but I sure got tired of it.
It's not only big business. As a teacher, my donation to the United Way was monitored for almost all of my 37 years in the classroom. For many years, the "suggested" donation of a day's pay was pretty much mandatory.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:41 PM

6,950 posts, read 5,215,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Welcome to what the Obama's Federal Government has become... your donations are now taxes... and the United Way is the government social programs... don't like it... well, then, according to liberals, you are the problem... instead of firing you, they level massive fines if you don't pay... does the government care how much bills you have to pay?

For instance, if the government raises my taxes by 10%... can I call up all the bills and say, I will be paying them 10% less? If not, why isn't it made into law? I suspect the government would never raise taxes after that... that's why... just because the government raise taxes doesn't change my bills one iota...

And to answer your question.. the company gets LEVERAGE... they can use United Way influence to got new contracts... influence the government... etc etc... money simply doesn't disappear... they are getting leverage and with leverage comes money...
What a load of horse hooey! Obama was a child back in 1967 when every teacher in my school had to individually sign their UW donor form in front of the principal.

Why do you partisan hacks have to jump on every issue and then use it to demonize the opposition?

Old 10-09-2011, 03:49 PM

14,253 posts, read 14,736,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
It's not only big business. As a teacher, my donation to the United Way was monitored for almost all of my 37 years in the classroom. For many years, the "suggested" donation of a day's pay was pretty much mandatory.
I worked in public accounting and we used to get a lot of pressure to donate to United Way. Our company set great store in being a good "corporate citizen" and a big donation to the UW allowed our managing partner to preen himself at this dinners where people get "recognized".

There are many things that are "voluntary" in the work environment. We also used to get a lot of pressure to donate to the PAC and I got a personal call from my boss to donate to a specific presidential candidate. The problem, if you do not play the game, is you can easily get marked down as not being a "team player" or not sharing "corporate values". When corporate survival involves comparative reviews with your peers then this can make "voluntary" into "irresistible".

Old 10-09-2011, 03:55 PM

11,425 posts, read 16,659,834 times
Our company participates with the United way fund raising, I just tell them no thanks, theres nothing they can do about it.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:03 PM

1,137 posts, read 2,287,630 times
I worked at a non profit Detroit hospital where they had "Black United Way" drives. With some peer pressure added. Saving grace was noone knew whether or not you gave because that was payrole... Agree it should be illegal.
Recall Hillary Clinton getting funds indirectly from UW for something that dealt w children, used as a political ploy but cannot recall details.
Also read an blog article questioning why the UA would support MoveOn.Org
Link:A Disgruntled Republican: The United Way Funded Neighborhood Resource Center Promotes MoveOn.org’s Leftist Agenda.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:54 PM

526 posts, read 412,003 times
The amount of ill-will generated by the annual United Way campaigns at my company is amazing. The situation is very similar to what many of you have posted- lots of pressure to donate at the "suggested" level. The fact that many people are very generous donating to the charities of their choice outside of work is completely ignored. I am a manager and the pressure to get 100% participation is enormous. There have been times in the past where I have given employees $5 for them to donate so we could hit our goal of 100%. Then one year I was asked (told) to head up the United Way campaign! They made me do this for 3 years and I was so glad when a younger, ambitious colleague who was frothing at the mouth to get promoted mentioned that he was interested in helping me. I made the suggestion that it would be a great opportunity for him to show his stuff if he would take over from me. So they saddled him with the thankless job for the next couple of years. He never got the promotion.

The whole thing leaves a really bad taste in my mouth.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:08 PM

6,111 posts, read 4,862,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Our company participates with the United way fund raising, I just tell them no thanks, theres nothing they can do about it.

Oh contaire, in most states this is a "Right to Work" nation which says you really have no rights in the work place and the employer doesn't have to have a reason to send a worker packing. Having a bad attitude and failing to live up to your obligations is reason enough for a termination. So quit being a silly person and sign that UW pledge is your families support worth the risk?

Old 10-09-2011, 05:18 PM

738 posts, read 928,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
1) That's awful. Should be illegal.

2) I wonder if this would happen in a unionized workplace... Along with other conditions you mention.
At one place I worked, the union were the ones strongarming you for the United Way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or