Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 05:22 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Oh contaire, in most states this is a "Right to Work" nation which says you really have no rights in the work place and the employer doesn't have to have a reason to send a worker packing. Having a bad attitude and failing to live up to your obligations is reason enough for a termination. So quit being a silly person and sign that UW pledge is your families support worth the risk?
Yeah that's probably what they would like people to think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 06:52 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
First off, you need to find a new employer.

Second, my company pushes the United Way too, no clue why all these companies push it so hard.
WHY do people always say if you have a problem find another job/employer???????

??????????????????????????????

First: There are no jobs.

Second. WHY do you think one employer is different from another????....one learns from another how to screw employees and the snowball rolls downhill....

Third: There are no jobs.

Fourth : Corporations don't like to hire people who have no job.

Fifth: There are no jobs.

Sixth : You must obey the ONLY GOD, Corporate Executives.

Seventh: There are no jobs.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:18 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,105,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
This is the other thing that totally turns me off to UW, why must I respond to their form?

The first time I refused to participate in any way shape or form I was called into the bosses office, that's when I decided to contribute $0.01 every year...

It's wrong, it's disgusting and un-American the way UW operates...
I was thinking something just like that. This thread makes me very happy that I am self employed.

Really it is just wrong. You shouldn't have to explain to anyone why you choose not to spend your money a certain way. Once it is paid to you it is yours.

A long time ago I did work for someplace that supported to UW. I think I was the only employee that didn't contribute.

Can someone tell me, what good does UW actually claim to do?

Old 10-09-2011, 07:27 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,029,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Oh contaire, It's "au contraire" in most states this is a "Right to Work" nation which says you really have no rights in the work place and the employer doesn't have to have a reason to send a worker packing. Having a bad attitude and failing to live up to your obligations is reason enough for a termination. So quit being a silly person and sign that UW pledge is your families support worth the risk?
I think there have been enough unlawful termination lawsuits brought up to suggest otherwise.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:37 PM

8,484 posts, read 6,891,592 times
For years I gave a small donation once a year to UW. I stopped when our company started strong arming us into having a bi weekly payroll deduction. Like others have commented our company at the same time was cutting benefits and limiting pay raises while increasing our workload. All done for public relations. They cared less about the welfare on their own workers.

Even after I retired I still get a donation request every year from my former employer which I ignore.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:37 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,481,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I give to charity, my wife and father-in-law. When I was single I'd donate to the United Way charity of my choice. However, now I'm supporting a wife with spinal problems and her 86 year old father who lives with us and is on home oxygen in our 14"x48" two bedroom mobile home. We're trying to pay off debt at the same time as trying to put aside money to help get a bigger home we can afford. A new mobile home is our best option because we can custom order the home with doors wide enough for wheelchairs, handrails in the bathrooms, and high toilets surrounded by handrails. If anyone would like to give to charity, let me know and I'll send you my address where you cane send a check or money order.
Hey, you've gotta take care of your own house first. We all do. I admire the fact that despite all that you still give to charity though.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:01 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
A company I work for doesn't quite strong arm us in to donating for the United Way but I resent that we "still have to sign the card" and hand it in.

For what reason? If I want to give to charity, I will give. If I do not want to give to that charity, it is no one's business.

I threw my paperwork in the trash.

Haven't heard anything yet.

Edit, I clicked that link provided earlier about finding the UW in your area. I found out that 99.8% of the money is used to cover expenses such as fundraising and programming expenses. wtf!

Also, their mission statement:

"Founded in 1929, United Way of Greater Portland's mission is to improve people's lives by mobilizing the caring power of our communities. We continue to ensure quality essential services, like affordable childcare, mental health counseling and elder care, and we also bring people together to help identify growing community needs and work toward innovative solutions with measurable results. We are working to advance the common good by focusing on programs supporting education, income and health - the building blocks of a strong community."

The common good? Oh hell no.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:14 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,078,177 times
My ex worked for a very large bank headquartered on the upper east side of Manhattan. As an employee, she was expected to contribute to UW and it was taken from her paycheck. This went on for years. We asked to see a list of the 'charities' that were getting our money. We were stunned and sickened to see where our money was going and had the 'donation' stopped. To show that we were not cheap, we offered to write a check in the same amount but we would pick the charities. We were told , no, can't do that. We want 100% employee participation. We told them we will no longer contribute to causes that are against our beliefs, values, morals, religion or politics. She was harassed every year at sign up time but she held her ground.
For all of you being forced to contribute, get the list of the so called 'charities' to see where your money is going. When you look at the list, have a barf bag available.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:19 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

Edit, I clicked that link provided earlier about finding the UW in your area. I found out that 99.8% of the money is used to cover expenses such as fundraising and programming expenses. wtf!

WTF is right! This should be illegal! A certain minimum percentage should be required to go for the intended purpose or they should lose their tax-exempt status.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:28 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,105,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
My ex worked for a very large bank headquartered on the upper east side of Manhattan. As an employee, she was expected to contribute to UW and it was taken from her paycheck. This went on for years. We asked to see a list of the 'charities' that were getting our money. We were stunned and sickened to see where our money was going and had the 'donation' stopped. To show that we were not cheap, we offered to write a check in the same amount but we would pick the charities. We were told , no, can't do that. We want 100% employee participation. We told them we will no longer contribute to causes that are against our beliefs, values, morals, religion or politics. She was harassed every year at sign up time but she held her ground.
For all of you being forced to contribute, get the list of the so called 'charities' to see where your money is going. When you look at the list, have a barf bag available.
Why do some of you think you have to make up for not lliking UW by giving to another charity and telling your boss about it? All of this is really disrespectful of employees to expect them to explain what they want to do with their own money. If enough people refused to put up with this it would stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies