U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 09:35 PM

25,337 posts, read 16,284,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- The board of the United Way of Central Carolinas apologized Tuesday morning to the community for the compensation package given to its president.

"We made a serious mistake," Chairman Graham Denton said.

In June, financial records revealed the salary and benefits package the board gave to Gloria Pace King in 2007 amounted to $1.2 million. Many residents spoke out, telling the nonprofit they were outraged their hard-earned donations were going to what they called an inflated salary.
One of many reasons I refuse to give to UW. They keep 15% of what they take in as "operating expenses" and do no charatable work on their own. They are a clearing house (and skim a big chunk off the top) of donations, parceling them out to other charities that actually do something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 06:05 PM

15,527 posts, read 29,233,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Not allowed--any contribution less than the "Leadership Level" is the same as no contribution at all.

As you advance in this corporation (I've been here over 25 years), the corporation demands you donate a "Leadership" Amount. In terms of after-tax income, it is a MAJOR amount of money (which, with no pension, I really need for retirement).

Also, the very narrowly-defined United Way Charities are NOT the charities I wish to support--even if I wanted to dilute the contribution by adding on the administration costs of TWO separate middlemen. Therefore I find zero solace in supporting these charities.

Also, on the "local community goodwill" line, we are a nationwide corporation that really doesn't care about the people in the areas where the plants are located. And if you have followed my posts long enough, you know this is an industry that isn't going to get any local goodwill anyway.
So make a big donation to the charity of your choice and provide your boss with the receipt.

Tell him you cannot support United Way due to your religious convictions.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-10-2011, 06:19 PM

3,404 posts, read 4,138,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
So make a big donation to the charity of your choice and provide your boss with the receipt.

Tell him you cannot support United Way due to your religious convictions.

20yrsinBranson
What if you don't want to throw away any of your money?

Old 10-10-2011, 06:22 PM

15,756 posts, read 32,484,948 times
Default This is really a very sad thread.

United Way is basically an organized do good platform that in most places is run very cheaply and with very good yield. It is supported by big business to avoid dozens of drives and sorting all that out and because it is for the good of the community.

Most if not all UWs have an anti compulsion policy. Most corporations follow it.

Yes UW may get ripped off. However the Monsignor of our local parish just plead guilty to stealing $650K. Remember the shriners ripping off contribution to burn victims to throw good parties for themselves?

Does that mean the RC church is gone to the dark side? That the shriners are all despicable?

Comeon. Bad things happen.

But enjoy the good...which UW is pretty much.

And stop whining for goodness sake.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:26 PM

29,580 posts, read 31,907,081 times
I remember back in the early 80's my departments having contests with other departments to see who could claim "100% participation". I admit I caved but there were some who complained and by the time I left that place there was never any mention of the United Way. Or US Savings Bonds either now I think of it. Someone fought the fight and won on UW

Old 10-10-2011, 06:33 PM

11,672 posts, read 21,236,098 times
We do the United Way campaign at my Fortune 500 company, too. I discovered a little-known fact during the 2010 campaign-> you can direct your money to specific, designated charities of your choosing instead of choosing the "general campaign" bucket or their education/poverty/etc buckets.

I now designate my giving funds directly to 3 local charities whom I already support and know are well run & doing great things in my community.

I'd recommend everyone ask about this option as you can still get credit for being a team player but can get your money to someone you want.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:34 PM

15,756 posts, read 32,484,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I remember back in the early 80's my departments having contests with other departments to see who could claim "100% participation". I admit I caved but there were some who complained and by the time I left that place there was never any mention of the United Way. Or US Savings Bonds either now I think of it. Someone fought the fight and won on UW
Actually we kind of enjoyed it when I was a young engineer. Sometimes the contests got interesting and involved significant amounts of alcohol.

It all depends on how your run the railroad...can be fun.

The UW in upstate NY that I was familiar with was run almost entirely with volunteer labor including a high level HR type from one of the big companies who ran the UW for a year. Only operational staff was paid off the top. All the wheels came from the corporations for free.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:35 PM

8,161 posts, read 9,363,321 times
I must be lucky, I've never had an employer ask me to contribute to UW. I wouldn't do it. Here's the thing, if everybody in a work group got together, and decided together to not give in to such a ridiculous demand, they'd back off. What, are they going to fire an entire work group or department for not giving to UW? There's strength in numbers. Oh I forgot, that sounds too much like evil union talk. Anyway, in an ideal world, your boss would actually have integrity and refuse to participate in coercion of his/her subordinates in the first place.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:45 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,013,914 times
mine never actaulloy did nayhting to promote United way other than allow employees time. A group of employeees handle the entire campign every years. Compnay dnated their time as they reqausested to make meetings of United way board and to make presentations to employees.They alos allowed employeee with toehrs hours o the clock. Perhaps the largest was for meals on wheels which was weekly.It alos was by employee volunterring as they paid their gas. My wife for instance spent three hoursd a wek delivering meals.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:26 PM

3,404 posts, read 4,138,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
United Way is basically an organized do good platform that in most places is run very cheaply and with very good yield. It is supported by big business to avoid dozens of drives and sorting all that out and because it is for the good of the community.

Most if not all UWs have an anti compulsion policy. Most corporations follow it.

Yes UW may get ripped off. However the Monsignor of our local parish just plead guilty to stealing $650K. Remember the shriners ripping off contribution to burn victims to throw good parties for themselves?

Does that mean the RC church is gone to the dark side? That the shriners are all despicable?

Comeon. Bad things happen.

But enjoy the good...which UW is pretty much.

And stop whining for goodness sake.
Oh yes, and fork over as much money as they tell you to or say goodbye to your job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or