U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-10-2011, 09:16 PM
 
Location: NW Las Vegas - Lone Mountain
15,756 posts, read 32,491,985 times
Reputation: 2661

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
Oh yes, and fork over as much money as they tell you to or say goodbye to your job.
Yeah all us indenpendent contractors have that problem...

Again...most if not all UW have a policy against compulsion. If you are dumb enough to work for a corporation that ignores that policy you should pay up or get fired which you obviously volunteered for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-15-2011, 09:10 AM
 
181 posts, read 260,697 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
This is one of the perplexing conundrums that comes around every year, and I can't figure out what's behind it. It's about the United Way, and the strong-arm tactics employers use to force employees to contribute.

My employer is a large and typically cut-throat Big Business. It does NOTHING for charitable reasons, and the employees themselves are worked to death while losing more and more of their compensation every year in cost-shifting of benefits. The corporation is so tight with money that when it keeps people working 24 to 36 hours straight on a "plant emergency," it won't even subsidize meals (the managers generally pay for meals for the team out of their own pockets). In order to circumvent labor hour laws, we are "off the clock" (unpaid) for anything over regular hours--which is "legal" since we're "exempt employees."

Every year the United Way drive comes up, and employees are blackmailed into participating. If you don't participate at all, you WILL be laid off in the annual reviews, no matter WHAT your job level or performance (yes, it happened more than once). The higher up, the more money you are expected to contribute, and for those of us in our peak earning years, the amount is VERY painful. Especially when you have your own charities that you like to support directly, and you don't approve of the United Way.

My question is this (and I ask this to those who have INSIDER KNOWLEDGE): What does the employer (the Big Business) get out of the United Way Campaign? It is NOT just goodwill, since this corporation has none, and could care less how people view it. Is it a direct payment to the greedy CEO and his top-level executives? Is it simply a power play, that the Narcissistic executives get a power-kick from forcing employees to give up their very hard earned money? Or does it have something to do with the fact that the corporations get to charge the employees bi-weekly, while only handing money over to United Way once or twice a year (a tactic used by UPS to get large amounts of interest on money that belongs to clients?)?
It really don't matter what reason the Corporation has, you do not have to give if you don't want to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2011, 09:12 AM
 
181 posts, read 260,697 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
I am skeptical of this claim because if you do work for a big corporation, as you claim, this would be grounds for harassment and there are laws against that.

But yes, United Way is basically a scam- a way for businesses to create a positive image for themselves in the public's mind, to get their big important business' name in the paper, and for the CEO to be awarded an important-looking plaque for their fund raising efforts.

The Annual United Way Campaign: So Why Again is HR Stuck With This?
United Way relies upon corporate leaders to collect donations from their employees. Successful CEOs who raise millions of dollars are lauded by an organization called The National Corporate Leadership Program.

It's a status thing. It's always a status thing. If you know anything about human nature, you know that it looks good to get a plaque from your buddies. When your fellow CEOs recognize you as an exemplary leader because your employees donated cash to The United Way, you feel great.
Inappropriate corporate sponsorship of charities
Right on the money,so to speak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2011, 09:13 AM
 
181 posts, read 260,697 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
1) That's awful. Should be illegal.

2) I wonder if this would happen in a unionized workplace... Along with other conditions you mention.
Oh yes it does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2011, 09:20 AM
 
Location: SW Missouri
15,527 posts, read 29,240,196 times
Reputation: 21263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
What if you don't want to throw away any of your money?
I do not believe that supporting charities is "throwing away" money. I believe that it is necessary that those of us who have should help those who cannot help themselves.

Unfortunately, I am not wealthy, so I cannot donate as often or as much as I would like to, however, when I do, I find a good animal rescue, no-kill animal shelter, humane society to donate to. Either that, or an agency such as Meals On Wheels that assists the elderly to have a better quality of life.

I do not support any of the United Way charities.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2011, 09:21 AM
 
Location: NJ
15,912 posts, read 10,962,018 times
Reputation: 10113
Default self promotion for companies that are sometimes controversial

Companies that have CREDO SURVEYS like J&J do it so everyone will answer the question about the company's committment to the community in a positive way.

Many companies that are heavily regulated by federal laws pay homage to all sort of nonsense floated by the government in an attempt to curry favor and avoid law suits by the activist fringe. Companies that might have public relation problems are all on board with United Way.

If someone wants to donate, fine but the heavy handed approach has covert intentions of self promotion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2011, 03:43 PM
 
Location: NW Las Vegas - Lone Mountain
15,756 posts, read 32,491,985 times
Reputation: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I do not believe that supporting charities is "throwing away" money. I believe that it is necessary that those of us who have should help those who cannot help themselves.

Unfortunately, I am not wealthy, so I cannot donate as often or as much as I would like to, however, when I do, I find a good animal rescue, no-kill animal shelter, humane society to donate to. Either that, or an agency such as Meals On Wheels that assists the elderly to have a better quality of life.

I do not support any of the United Way charities.

20yrsinBranson
Meals on wheels in Las Vegas is run by Catholic Charities and heavily supported by United Way. I will agree I don't think the UW here does any animal stuff. But people stuff I don't know how you would find a competent agency they don't help...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2011, 04:51 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,884,971 times
Reputation: 6517
The question begs. If you know your choice in charity why would you use a middleman that only dilutes your contribution?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2011, 05:37 PM
 
3,404 posts, read 4,139,310 times
Reputation: 2397
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I do not believe that supporting charities is "throwing away" money. I believe that it is necessary that those of us who have should help those who cannot help themselves.

Unfortunately, I am not wealthy, so I cannot donate as often or as much as I would like to, however, when I do, I find a good animal rescue, no-kill animal shelter, humane society to donate to. Either that, or an agency such as Meals On Wheels that assists the elderly to have a better quality of life.

I do not support any of the United Way charities.

20yrsinBranson
That is your opinion. It should not be a forced thing that makes employees feel obligated to explain themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2011, 07:41 PM
 
Location: NW Las Vegas - Lone Mountain
15,756 posts, read 32,491,985 times
Reputation: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
The question begs. If you know your choice in charity why would you use a middleman that only dilutes your contribution?
The argument is that the process is efficient cheap and yields well. It allows you to specify or opt out if that is your desire.

YOu and your employer should both appreciate the fact it prevents the weekly drives that would otherwise occur and drive you and your fellow employees up the wall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top