Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 02:47 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,163,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
No, I don't at all, and I would quit if I were you. Please don't assume to know anything about my life or my career kthx.

Btw a "great deal" is what they get in Canada, the UK, France, etc. etc. etc. where they pay nothing.

It is a myth that they pay nothing for their health coverage in Canada and other countries with socialized medicine. Nothing in life is free and certainly nothing the government 'gives' you. They pay for that coverage through taxes one way or another and their healthcare is not nearly as good as our in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 03:02 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,438,243 times
Quote:
It doesn't show on your pay stub, but your employer actually is contributing to your premium. Same with social security and medicare. You only see YOUR deductions, but your employer is paying those taxes on you too.

Hate that Obama is gonna lose the election based on what people like you don't realize...

My employer was not paying ANYTHING for employee health insurance because employees didn't have any.

Have you never worked a minimum wage job with no benefits?

Yes I know that my employer paid the same payroll taxes as the payroll taxes deducted from my paycheck. But do you believe that burger flippers and others working for minimum wage would see one dime of the employer's payroll taxes if employers no longer had to pay them?

(Hint: Let's say you're a McDonald's franchisee and your employee payroll taxes (Social Security and Medicare) are eliminated. Do you reduce your menu prices, do you increase management compensation, do you increase your profits, or do you increase hourly employee wages. Unlikely the burger flippers see it.)

Old 10-09-2011, 06:29 AM

27,113 posts, read 15,295,953 times
Burger Flippers without ambition remain Burger Flippers.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:44 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,648,952 times
Even before the healthcare crisis came upon us, I never understood why healthcare was the responsibility of the employer. Oh, I know how it came about, but it just never made sense to me. It is even worse now that costs are so high--it is very hard on the employer. I do agree that employers would be more apt to hire if they didn't have that hanging over their heads. Where I live, the employment rate is fairly zesty so they do provide it to be competitive.

I also realize that NOTHING is free. If the responsibility for healthcare was taken off the employer and put on the federal or state goverment, I would see a rise in my taxes. Just as they do in other countries where the government handles health insurance. They pay a lot more taxes.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:48 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,846,493 times
Quote:
I get health insurance benefits through my employer, as do most Americans with health insurance. The total premium per month is about $400, of which I pay $60 and my employer picks up the rest of the tab.

Where I work, we are woefully understaffed and have been on mandatory overtime for a while now.

I think they'd hire more people if they weren't paying $340 per month per employee (and way more for those with family coverage) on health insurance.

If the government provided free health insurance to all Americans, employers would have a LOT of money to hire more workers.

I will never understand why "Medicare For All," a majority opinion among Americans, hasn't been adopted yet. Well I understand why, but if I think about it too long it makes me sick.
There is a little thing called the Health Ins Lobby that has vested interests in keeping the Country from dealing intelligently with HC delivery. They spend a lot of time and money buying Congress people, on both sides of the aisle, to make sure that does not happen.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:50 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,586,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
It is a myth that they pay nothing for their health coverage in Canada and other countries with socialized medicine.
Canada doesn't have socialized medicine; it has universal health care.

There is a huge difference.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:18 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,592,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
None of my employers ever paid a dollar per employee on health insurance, so why does your employer pay more than they have to?
To attract better quality employees

Old 10-09-2011, 07:59 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,447,879 times
Umm... It's pretty simple. You see the elected officials you have now. You see how well they compromise together and how nonpartisan they are.

And you want them legislating your health choices to you?

Talk about void from any logic.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:07 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,587,930 times
Quote:
It doesn't show on your pay stub, but your employer actually is contributing to your premium. Same with social security and medicare. You only see YOUR deductions, but your employer is paying those taxes on you too.

Hate that Obama is gonna lose the election based on what people like you don't realize...
You are wrong. Employers do not pay health insurance costs unless they provide it for their employees.

The only monies taken out on a pay stub on the employer end is the matched taxes and SS and medicare.

I know, I employee people and do their payroll.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:11 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,438,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Burger Flippers without ambition remain Burger Flippers.

What does a burger flipper do if he has ambition but doesn't want to become a burger flipper manager?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies