Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 05:15 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,443,926 times

Advertisements

Five myths about voter fraud - The Washington Post

The article uses statistics gathered at the state and local level to paint an accurate picture of voter fraud in this country. And this voter thinks there are FAR more serious problems to worry about and deal with than instances of true voter fraud.

Here are the first two myths, and a sample of the accompanying text:

Quote:
1. We need state voter ID laws to prevent fraud.

Prosecutable cases of voter fraud are rare. For example, a 2005 statewide study (http://www.cohhio.org/alerts/Election%20Reform%20Report.pdf - broken link) in Ohio found four instances of ineligible persons voting or attempting to vote in 2002 and 2004, out of 9 million votes cast. An investigation of fraud allegations in Wisconsin in 2004 led to the prosecution of 0.0007 percent of voters.

2. Requiring identification at the polls affects all voters equally.

State photo ID restrictions disproportionately affect African Americans, Latinos, young voters, people over 65 and people with disabilities. Advancement Project studies show that 11 percent of eligible voters, or about 21 million people, don’t have updated, state-issued photo IDs: 25 percent of African Americans, 15 percent of those earning less than $35,000, 18 percent of citizens age 65 or older and 20 percent of voters age 18 to 29.
Gee ... African-Americans, the young, and the poor ... and what percentage of these groups would be voting Republican??

There's a lot of effort in various states to make it more difficult and expensive for certain groups to vote. To me, the efforts are nothing short of state-mandated voter suppression.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 06:52 AM

4,882 posts, read 5,009,818 times
1. Because only 4 were found, doesn't mean that only 4 instances occurred. Would it be fair to compare shoplifters to people who commited voter fraud? If only 4 shoplifters were caught in Ohio would you say that was all that occurred?

2. If the government said we didn't need to prove identity before voting. Should there be a ban on asking for proof of identity before using checks and credit cards?

Old 10-09-2011, 08:47 AM

3,204 posts, read 2,866,246 times
I agree Creekcat. Ad I also noticed the comparison in the comments section to illegals in this country. It's amazing that we were led to believe illegal immigration wasn't a problem then suddenly it's so out of control there is just no possible way to deal with it.

In the article they state that Kris Koback says it wouldn't disproportionately affect certain groups and they dismiss his opinion and run with the opinion of a left wing group. Their opinion is that it would disproportionately affect minorities, the poor, the elderly and those with disabilities. If anyone in any of those groups gets any kind of subsidies they have to have ID. My father had a drivers license that was expired and it was still allowed because it had his picture on it. Expired or not, it still proved who he was. And the states doing this are offering a free ID card for those that don't have ID.

The arguments on the left are very weak. It's too bad they think the only way to win an election is to stuff the ballot box. And it's hilarious that they don't understand what the 2010 elections signified.

Also, I don't usually consider an article "excellent" when it only shows one side of an issue. Stating a source from the opposing side and dismissing that viewpoint without expounding on it doesn't make it an unbiased article IMO.

Last edited by Isitmeorarethingsnuts?; 10-09-2011 at 08:52 AM.. Reason: Additional point

Old 10-09-2011, 08:53 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,839,210 times
I think its funny... the young and poor are without a doubt the largest population of stupid... yet, the liberals want them to vote because they vote democrat.... stupid people vote democrat... and the democrats wonder why anyone would want to prevent stupid from voting...

Old 10-09-2011, 08:59 AM

23,951 posts, read 15,052,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I think its funny... the young and poor are without a doubt the largest population of stupid... yet, the liberals want them to vote because they vote democrat.... stupid people vote democrat... and the democrats wonder why anyone would want to prevent stupid from voting...
Just like yourself, they may not consider themselves stupid. Stupid people have the same civil rights as smart people.
That must be why the conservatives want to go back to the original Constitution days.
The way I see it, rich white men still control the country. Nothing has changed but the way they do it.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Just like yourself, they may not consider themselves stupid. Stupid people have the same civil rights as smart people.
That must be why the conservatives want to go back to the original Constitution days.
The way I see it, rich white men still control the country. Nothing has changed but the way they do it.
Sorry... but your excuse is lame... but nobody is really surprised by that...

Old 10-09-2011, 09:06 AM

662 posts, read 1,449,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post

Well, if the conservatives on this forum are a slice of what's out there in conservative land, I don't think the Republicans have a shortage of stupid either.
In fact, why would a simple middle class person vote Republican unless he or she had a shortage of common sense? Tax breaks for the rich; tax increases on the middle class and agreeing that a 3-4% raise on the tax rate for millionaires to the level it was under President Clinton is somehow "class warfare".

I think this non-issue detailed in the WP article posted by the OP is just another example of Republicans trying to disenfranchise people.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:09 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,435,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Five myths about voter fraud - The Washington Post

The article uses statistics gathered at the state and local level to paint an accurate picture of voter fraud in this country. And this voter thinks there are FAR more serious problems to worry about and deal with than instances of true voter fraud.

Here are the first two myths, and a sample of the accompanying text:

1. We need state voter ID laws to prevent fraud.

Prosecutable cases of voter fraud are rare. For example, a 2005 statewide study (http://www.cohhio.org/alerts/Election%20Reform%20Report.pdf - broken link) in Ohio found four instances of ineligible persons voting or attempting to vote in 2002 and 2004, out of 9 million votes cast. An investigation of fraud allegations in Wisconsin in 2004 led to the prosecution of 0.0007 percent of voters.

FYI I did the math and it works out to 24 people prosecuted in Wisconsin for voter fraud.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:18 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,435,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post

In the article they state that Kris Koback says it wouldn't disproportionately affect certain groups and they dismiss his opinion and run with the opinion of a left wing group. Their opinion is that it would disproportionately affect minorities, the poor, the elderly and those with disabilities. If anyone in any of those groups gets any kind of subsidies they have to have ID. My father had a drivers license that was expired and it was still allowed because it had his picture on it. Expired or not, it still proved who he was. And the states doing this are offering a free ID card for those that don't have ID.

I assume you need ID to sign up for subsidies, but once signed up, you don't have to show ID again every month.

A free ID isn't much use to someone who doesn't have a copy of their birth certificate and needs the birth certificate in order to get free ID.

I'm confident a lot of people will be turned away at the polls if they show up with "expired ID proving who they are." If proving who you are were truly the issue, expired ID would have been allowed.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonexpat View Post
Well, if the conservatives on this forum are a slice of what's out there in conservative land, I don't think the Republicans have a shortage of stupid either.
In fact, why would a simple middle class person vote Republican unless he or she had a shortage of common sense? Tax breaks for the rich; tax increases on the middle class and agreeing that a 3-4% raise on the tax rate for millionaires to the level it was under President Clinton is somehow "class warfare".

I think this non-issue detailed in the WP article posted by the OP is just another example of Republicans trying to disenfranchise people.
Ahhh...at last, an intelligent response... Yup, the Republicans don't have a shortage of stupid as well but I didn't say there wasn't... I just said that the "stupid" people can be found in great majority among the poor and young...

Why would they vote Republican? For the same reason that a great percentage would vote Democrat... They want THEIR issue to be the most important issue... and I say, that is wrong on BOTH political parties... I am not interested in helping the middle class out, the poor, or the wealthy... I am interested in helping ALL Americans... and the liberals have played the opposite hand, help some people out and punish other people (otherwise where would they get the money and I think it is odd that punishment, by liberal terms, ALWAYS involve money).... what tax breaks for the rich? I see it mentioned many times but I wonder if you liberals actually know something or just spouting rhetoric... raise income taxes... but only on the last two brackets, that's not class warfare? What do you think class warfare is, exactly? I think the term disenfranchising is a bit strong... consider what the democrats do... send out shuttles, have OTHER people fill out your registration forms, etc... they say they are trying to increase the voter turnout... to me, they are targeting stupid to vote... although we are all allowed to vote but making it easier for stupid to vote isn't actually making America better just so Democrats can win...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies