U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-09-2011, 01:18 PM
 
Location: Pacific NW
9,309 posts, read 5,446,577 times
Reputation: 7771

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Nobody mentions that the reason gun crimes go down is because the economy is better. Besides if you own a gun you are more likely to use it against somebody you know than some random criminal trying to rob you.
So how do you explain crime rates dropping while the economy has tanked over the last several years? Crime rates continued to drop, even though the economy did not improve when gun laws were relaxed. Crime did not increase, as predicted by anti-gun liberals, when those laws were removed. This pattern is repeated over and over, when laws prohibiting law abiding citizens from owning or carrying firearms are removed crime drops and the left just can't stand it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-09-2011, 01:58 PM
 
Location: Miami, FL
58,651 posts, read 32,096,873 times
Reputation: 9441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
So how do you explain crime rates dropping while the economy has tanked over the last several years? Crime rates continued to drop, even though the economy did not improve when gun laws were relaxed. Crime did not increase, as predicted by anti-gun liberals, when those laws were removed. This pattern is repeated over and over, when laws prohibiting law abiding citizens from owning or carrying firearms are removed crime drops and the left just can't stand it.
I think you are speculating when you say the rates dropped because gun laws have been relaxed under Obama era. I mentioned earlier that there has been no change in gun laws in FL, yet the crime rates plummetted. Could it be that the fluctiations have nothing to do with changes in gun laws? It would be interesting to know the real reason for the drop, but I have to conclude it is not related to gun laws.

During the Clinton era homicide fell 39 percent,rape rates fell 41 percent, and robbery fell 44 percent, but no one seems to know why. I do not believe it was because of Clinton bans on magazines or semi-automatic rifles. Criminologists can't explain it, so when someone at CD claims it is because of a change in this and that law, you can pretty much say it is nothing but personal opinons.

We know NYC saw huge drops in crime rates when Giuliani cleaned up the city, but it was not because he put a gun in everyone's hand.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 10-09-2011 at 02:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2011, 02:06 PM
 
30,794 posts, read 17,121,363 times
Reputation: 6804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You oppose Obama relaxing gun laws?
Not what I said....I said, since it will help obama (you even stated that it would) why not have the media talk about it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
So, basically you are saying if you were a news source, you would do all you can to support Obama. You are not making much sense to me.
Are you saying that you would not support obama when something good happened under his watch? That's what it sounds like to me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Drop in crime rates has been mentioned in the media, but you seem to be saying it has not been mentioned ENOUGH, so I am asking you how often it should be repeated.
We are not talking just crime rates, we are talking gun crime rates....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
PS The Florida law you mention became law in 2011 AFTER the major drop in crime rates in 2010. I like that law BTW
BTW, you did not give dates when you posted your original response, if you are going to change your argument mid-stream, how can I give proper response? Just in case you forgot your response..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
For example here in Florida, the gun laws have not changed, yet rates are down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
This thread is pretty funny if you think about it. When Obama was elected, the right wing said he would ban guns, but when he did the opposite, they are now trying to prove that......wait a minute....what are you trying to prove?
What did he do that was opposite?

What's funny is, when someone from other than the left tries to give obama a compliment...the left goes crazy.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2011, 02:08 PM
 
30,794 posts, read 17,121,363 times
Reputation: 6804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I am also not sure what the point here is. They are trying to turn the lower crime rates into an argument against Obama, but they do not seem to be sure how to go about it. I am sure we will see more organized line of thinking after the next Glenn Beck show (if Beck talks about this).
As usual, the left cannot figure out when a compliment is given....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2011, 02:13 PM
 
Location: Sarasota FL
6,551 posts, read 8,669,765 times
Reputation: 6110
Working its way through the U.N. right now, a gun/weapons control treaty. A back door attempt to get around the U.S. Constitution amendment # 2 ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2011, 02:14 PM
 
Location: Miami, FL
58,651 posts, read 32,096,873 times
Reputation: 9441
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Are you saying that you would not support obama when something good happened under his watch? That's what it sounds like to me...
If I was the media, I would not care who the president is, I would report the statistics when they come out, as opposed to repeating them on daily bases. I would also NOT pretend to know WHY the rates drop. Criminologists can't explain the drop, and FBI says people should not jump into conclusions about why the rates are dropping or why they dropped in the 1990's, and I tend to agree with that. If you want to compliment Obama, you go right ahead I agree the drop reflects positively on him, but I don't think he had anything to do with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2011, 02:20 PM
 
30,794 posts, read 17,121,363 times
Reputation: 6804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
If I was the media, I would not care who the president is, I would report the statistics when they come out, as opposed to repeating them on daily bases. I would also NOT pretend to know WHY the rates drop. Criminologists can't explain the drop, and FBI says people should not jump into conclusions about why the rates are dropping or why they dropped in the 1990's, and I tend to agree with that. If you want to compliment Obama, you go right ahead I agree the drop reflects positively on him, but I don't think he had anything to do with it.
I have been the entire time....and you and west have been trying to blow this up as some damn right wing conspiracy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2011, 02:24 PM
 
11,987 posts, read 10,731,551 times
Reputation: 9899
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I have been the entire time....and you and west have been trying to blow this up as some damn right wing conspiracy...
Why are you dragging me into this, chuck? The only point I have made on this thread is that some think crime rates have been dropping due to legalized abortion. I'm not saying that is the case, but it makes more sense than anything else given the time frame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2011, 02:48 PM
Status: "Tioli: Troll exterminator" (set 3 days ago)
 
Location: Arizona
12,828 posts, read 7,413,710 times
Reputation: 6773
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Working its way through the U.N. right now, a gun/weapons control treaty. A back door attempt to get around the U.S. Constitution amendment # 2 ?
Give me a break. That old horse hockey has been floatin in the punch bowl since early on in the Bush Administration. I frequent various gun forums more than I do C-D and the old chestnuts the chicken little gun crazies always bring up when there are no pending gun laws to fight are as follows,

1. The U.N. will effectively ban all guns in America any time now.
2. Obama is "thinking" about re-instituting the assault weapons ban.
3. The McCarthy Bill will get dusted off and brought out of committee
4. Reasonable restrictions as stated by the Supreme Court in the Heller
decision are "not reasonable" because they are restrictions.

It's all patented BS designed to galvanize gun owners against the Obama administration when in fact the Obama administration has made no attempt to subvert the 2nd amendment. The only people benefiting from the propaganda are the gun makers and sellers. When it looked like Obama was going to get elected, an AR15 was going for between 1200 and 1500 dollars. Now the price has dropped to around 600-750 for a decent AR15.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2011, 07:13 AM
 
Location: Massachusetts
10,032 posts, read 6,895,794 times
Reputation: 4207
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I'm surprised the OP is starting this thread now as 20 people were shot in Chicago this weekend.
I've only read one article about that but I bet many of them have a common theme.

Quote:
Police said that at least two of the victims had gang affiliations
Cops: 3 teens shot in Rogers Park neighborhood - Chicago Tribune

How do you figure tighter gun control on law abiding citizens will stop this sort if thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top