Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 02:31 AM

1,337 posts, read 1,517,318 times

Advertisements

Two new firearms related laws.... "hot off the presses."

AB 144 and AB-809 - http://gov.ca.gov/news.php?id=17276

AB 144 is the anti-open carry legislation. This is the much more contentious of the two.

AB-809 can be found here. http://gov.ca.gov/docs/AB_809_Signing_Message.pdf

-------------------------

Gov. Jerry Brown makes it illegal to openly carry a handgun in public - latimes.com

But fear not, good citizens, by some reports it is said that legislator crafted an exemption for themselves within the text of the law. Where the exemption is specifically located in this abortion of piece of legislation is beyond me. I would like to get to the bottom of that particular claim. The Washington Times article touches upon some other areas of double-standards, though.

EDITORIAL: One law for us, another for you - Washington Times

California Senate Votes 28-8 to Exempt Itself from California Gun Laws

"... All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others."

This monstrosity seems to be chock full of other special interests exemptions throughout the text. That much is certain. Many of the special interest exemptions are quite clear. Many of them are more difficult to interpret without extended analysis.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/11-12/...9_enrolled.pdf - Text of the legislation from legalinfo.ca.gov.

Banning the "Open Carry" of Hand Guns in California | California Progress Report This is the fine gentleman who I guess sponsored this legislation. You can read his tale of mass hysteria and panic regarding why he introduced the legislation which is now law.

Last edited by FreedomThroughAnarchism; 10-10-2011 at 03:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 02:52 AM

61,289 posts, read 87,214,458 times
bottom line on gun control. sure you can have one, but god help you if you ever use it.
gun control is an attack, on not the possession of firearms, but on the inalienable right to defend yourself against unprovoked violence.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:54 AM

268 posts, read 240,462 times
I was planning to open carry when I got my next Handgun F%#@ you, Jerry Brown.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:34 AM

613 posts, read 1,052,644 times
Move to texas its ur only hope Cali's gone crazy

Old 10-10-2011, 05:32 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,878,348 times
You could also move to Pennsylvania too. PA already had some of the better laws on the books for Pennsylvania gun owners and they recently upped the ante. Previous to this you had the "duty to retreat" even in your home before using deadly force which of course is absolutely absurd.

Quote:
HARRISBURG - In Pennsylvania, as in most states, your home is your castle and you have a right to defend it.
Soon, you will be able to add your car. Or the sidewalk. Or anywhere you "have the legal right to be."
The state Senate, in a 45-5 vote, gave final approval Monday to the so-called castle doctrine bill to expand the right of people to use deadly force against attackers in places outside their homes.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:04 AM

1,097 posts, read 1,590,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomThroughAnarchism View Post

AB 144 and AB-809 - Office of Governor Edmund G. Brown Jr. - Newsroom

AB 144 is the anti-open carry legislation. This is the much more contentious of the two.

Gov. Jerry Brown makes it illegal to openly carry a handgun in public - latimes.com

But fear not, good citizens, by some reports it is said that legislator crafted an exemption for themselves within the text of the law. Where the exemption is specifically located in this abortion of piece of legislation is beyond me. I would like to get to the bottom of that particular claim. The Washington Times article touches upon some other areas of double-standards, though.

This monstrosity seems to be chock full of other special interests exemptions throughout the text. That much is certain. Many of the special interest exemptions are quite clear. Many of them are more difficult to interpret without extended analysis.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/11-12/...9_enrolled.pdf - Text of the legislation from legalinfo.ca.gov.

Banning the "Open Carry" of Hand Guns in California | California Progress Report This is the fine gentleman who I guess sponsored this legislation. You can read his tale of mass hysteria and panic regarding why he introduced the legislation which is now law.
I can say just one thing: I LOVE CALIFORNIA!
I'm still dreaming to relocate there, possibly San Diego.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:28 AM

15,913 posts, read 20,146,784 times
Did anyone expect any less from Governor Moonbeam and his fantasy state?

Old 10-10-2011, 06:49 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,325,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomThroughAnarchism View Post

AB 144 and AB-809 - Office of Governor Edmund G. Brown Jr. - Newsroom

Good news for the citizens of CA! I'm sure all of the gangbangers and other criminals are now in a tizzy as their criminal enterprises have been crippled because they are no longer able to move about in public openly displaying their guns!

Old 10-10-2011, 06:59 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,045,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Good news for the citizens of CA! I'm sure all of the gangbangers and other criminals are now in a tizzy as their criminal enterprises have been crippled because they are no longer able to move about in public openly displaying their guns!
I hope this is your attempt at sarcasm.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:14 AM

77,013 posts, read 47,418,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You could also move to Pennsylvania too. PA already had some of the better laws on the books for Pennsylvania gun owners and they recently upped the ante. Previous to this you had the "duty to retreat" even in your home before using deadly force which of course is absolutely absurd.
We got the "stand your ground" law in Florida as well. As a matter of fact I think we were the first to get it. It has led to some killings which did not need to happen, but law is law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies