U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-10-2011, 03:18 PM
 
Location: somewhere in the woods
16,886 posts, read 12,619,055 times
Reputation: 5210

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
9% of Democrats think it means Grumpy Old People. I would have to agree with that one. Another 3% of democrats thought it meant God's own people, another good one.

It actually means grand old Party. I kind of think Grumpy old people is more applicable today.

49% Of Republicans Don


without googling it, it means the Gallant old party.


alot of people say grand old party, but it was Gallant before it was grand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-10-2011, 03:19 PM
 
Location: Indianapolis
3,895 posts, read 4,410,701 times
Reputation: 957
GOP=Grand Old Party. From the party that saved America Via Abraham Lincoln.

and yes i am a Conservative/Republican lol.

Also Gallant isn't as good as grand
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2011, 03:29 PM
 
Location: Orlando
8,221 posts, read 10,995,984 times
Reputation: 4022
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
It is telling that only 38% of the democrats were correct, while 51% of the republicans were correct.


Hardly,
The democrats while they should know it it isn't their party. Conversely, you have 49% of a party following a party they apparently don't have a good clue about...

In reality when both parties are tested they fail horribly with anything related to history. I bet far less than 100% can identify the current president and VP, much less any from the past..

Neither party has "stupid" locked up they both share equally in it.

As a nation we fail... face it most can't pass the exam required to become a citizen. (I'm sure most of us in CD can as we are so much more informed than the average).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2011, 03:39 PM
 
Location: St. Joseph Area
6,237 posts, read 8,280,710 times
Reputation: 3093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
GOP=Grand Old Party. From the party that saved America Via Abraham Lincoln.

and yes i am a Conservative/Republican lol.

Also Gallant isn't as good as grand
Yep, the GOP was the party of Lincoln, and now it's the party of the South. The descendants of southern secessionists are now the GOP's strongest supporters. Isn't history ironic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2011, 04:16 PM
 
31,059 posts, read 24,493,373 times
Reputation: 17939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
As I read these witty posts from the left it's easy to understand why the Democrats are represented by the symbol of a jacka$$.
he hits the three!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Hardly,
The democrats while they should know it it isn't their party. Conversely, you have 49% of a party following a party they apparently don't have a good clue about...

In reality when both parties are tested they fail horribly with anything related to history. I bet far less than 100% can identify the current president and VP, much less any from the past..

Neither party has "stupid" locked up they both share equally in it.

As a nation we fail... face it most can't pass the exam required to become a citizen. (I'm sure most of us in CD can as we are so much more informed than the average).
oddly enough for the most part i agree with this post. it has been my experience that the younger the person is, the less they know of american history, and history in general. the younger people also tend to be less politically astute as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2011, 04:32 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,656 posts, read 80,013,751 times
Reputation: 39030
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
9% of Democrats think it means Grumpy Old People. I would have to agree with that one. Another 3% of democrats thought it meant God's own people, another good one.

It actually means grand old Party. I kind of think Grumpy old people is more applicable today.

49% Of Republicans Don
I really don't think my kids and grandkids would appreciate being called "grumpy old men"

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2011, 04:33 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,656 posts, read 80,013,751 times
Reputation: 39030
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I always thought it meant gang of punks since that is what they are.
Don't give up your day job, you aren't ready for comedy yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2011, 04:37 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,656 posts, read 80,013,751 times
Reputation: 39030
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Yep, the GOP was the party of Lincoln, and now it's the party of the South. The descendants of southern secessionists are now the GOP's strongest supporters. Isn't history ironic?
oh, you are surprised, I guess you still think the civil war was fought to free the slaves and you might also think it is not part of the USA...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2011, 04:39 PM
 
12,439 posts, read 10,010,713 times
Reputation: 3129
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I really don't think my kids and grandkids would appreciate being called "grumpy old men"

Nita
I think they may see the humor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2011, 04:44 PM
 
Location: California
11,427 posts, read 16,733,396 times
Reputation: 12457
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Yep, the GOP was the party of Lincoln, and now it's the party of the South. The descendants of southern secessionists are now the GOP's strongest supporters. Isn't history ironic?
What does that matter? whats ironic about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top