Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2011, 05:06 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times

Advertisements

Except that what the driver did violated company policy and proceedure. She was suppose to pull over, call dispatch about the situation, and dispatch would send someone out to handle the situation as they see fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I agree with the above, especially the bolded area. Many parents especially of young, crying children/babies expect others to be understanding. I also have 2 children and when/if my children scream in a public place and I cannot get them to settle down, then I will leave.

I actually can be understanding in a lot of situations involving children. I expect toddlers to have tantrums when leaving fun places for instance. I expect them to say smart mouth things. I expect babies to cry. But the bus driver was bothered by the baby crying and if the baby was crying for a long period of time and it was bothering the driver, then all of the riders would be at risk. I don't see the harm in making the mother and the baby get off the bus. I also see the law suit as frivolous. I see it more as ridiculous.

And on the post partum depression thing I would roll my eyes. I had PPD twice (unmedicated because I don't believe in taking medication for depression unless one is in dire straights) and a driver telling me to get off a bus wasn't going to make me feel any worse. Also most mothers get "baby blues" and I don't see that as an excuse to treat them as if they are more important than the driver, or any other passenger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 05:07 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Really? When were you a kid? Back in the 1970s our parents took us to restaurants and movies regularly.

I grew up in the 80s and my parents did take me to movies regularly and we went out to eat sparsely but we didn't cry out in public. If we did, we would get a spanking right then and there and no one would call the police. Really in a lot of ways, that is the difference between then and now. People didn't allow their kids to misbehave in public from an early age and because of that, kids behaved.

I am similar and I don't even spank my kids often. I have a daughter who just turned 3 and she regularly goes out to eat. She has never been spanked. We don't do movies because they are too expensive and I don't think movies are worth my money anymore, but I expect her to behave and she knows that I will not stand for any tantrum business or any sort of crazy behavior so she acts appropriately. Too many parents make excuses for young children, like "they are just a little boy/girl" or "they are only (insert age) years old." As if that is a valid reason for the parent not doing their job and teaching their children how to behave out in public.

Also this is not directed toward the baby. Babies don't know any better, but once a child is (I'll even go higher than what I expect) 2.5 or older, they can understand how they are suppose to act when they go somewhere and if they are expected to, they can control themselves.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:08 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Except that what the driver did violated company policy and proceedure. She was suppose to pull over, call dispatch about the situation, and dispatch would send someone out to handle the situation as they see fit.
Well then they should be disciplined at work. None of it is a valid reason for a law suit. No one was injured or hurt as a result.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:25 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,240,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Do you realize how sexist this paragraph is?

As if men are never desensitized to the crying of infants?

As if only women on the bus got off in protest of the driver's actions?
Yes, I do realize. I am talking in generalities, which is how we understand the world around us. We humans learn by categorizing the things around us, while still understanding there are exceptions to the rules. When we enter into situations where have no personal knowledge, we can trust that, overall, certain groups will behave in certain ways.

While this approach to life is definitely not PC today, it would have saved me a LOT of money and hassle in my life if I hadn't been taught to believe that everyone else was as honest, as trustworthy, and as ethical as I was.

Men and women are VERY different in terms of sociology and psychology. Our innate biological and physiological differences are already present at birth, and society and culture treat males and females very differently during the formative years, as well as afterward.

I realize there are exceptions to these rules, and that some of the generalizations change over time. I, personally, am the exception to the rule for many (if not most) of the generalizations that can be made about modern society, as well as male/female differences. But that doesn't change the fact that both nature and nurture combine to create groups that behave in a relatively consistent manner--and I would say mothers would be one of the most uniform groups out there, due to the intensity of both biology and the mother-child bond.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:04 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,634,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
How many newborn infants have developed the ability to be quiet and control themselves?

The woman was on the bus because she had to be. She wasn't out joyriding with a crying infant. There was a reason she had to get out, she clearly doesn't have her own vehicle or she wouldn't have been on a public bus, and the driver of a public bus has to have some degree of imperviousness. Because I've been plenty uncomfortable in buses before, and you know what, when the smelly person sits next to you, or the drunk is holding on the rail and swaying with the motion, and going to throw up any minute, you are reminded that this is PUBLIC transportation, and unless the person presents a genuine disturbance, you put up with it. Bus drivers need to put up with a lot, and a crying baby is a MINOR nuisance compared to a lot of what happens on a PUBLIC BUS.
Whatever happened to good manners and common courtesy? Hopefully these qualities aren’t considered outdated but unfortunately it looks as if they are these days. Because this involves a kid then somehow this inexcusable behavior is supposed to be ok? Absolutely not! Where does the “right” to disturb and be a public nuisance to others end? The kid isn’t ready yet to be out in PUBLIC because it cannot do so without disturbing and bothering others. Leave the ill behaved and uncontrollable kid at HOME until when or if it is possible for the kid to behave and participate appropriately.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:25 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
So nice to see hatred of children on display here. Most likely the ones expressing support for the bus driver are liberals.
Uh, many of the people supporting the bus driver are known conservatives. This was an inappropriate statement.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I grew up in the 80s and my parents did take me to movies regularly and we went out to eat sparsely but we didn't cry out in public. If we did, we would get a spanking right then and there and no one would call the police. Really in a lot of ways, that is the difference between then and now. People didn't allow their kids to misbehave in public from an early age and because of that, kids behaved.

I am similar and I don't even spank my kids often. I have a daughter who just turned 3 and she regularly goes out to eat. She has never been spanked. We don't do movies because they are too expensive and I don't think movies are worth my money anymore, but I expect her to behave and she knows that I will not stand for any tantrum business or any sort of crazy behavior so she acts appropriately. Too many parents make excuses for young children, like "they are just a little boy/girl" or "they are only (insert age) years old." As if that is a valid reason for the parent not doing their job and teaching their children how to behave out in public.

Also this is not directed toward the baby. Babies don't know any better, but once a child is (I'll even go higher than what I expect) 2.5 or older, they can understand how they are suppose to act when they go somewhere and if they are expected to, they can control themselves.
Well, let's just spank this newborn!

Old 10-11-2011, 09:36 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,638,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
Whatever happened to good manners and common courtesy? Hopefully these qualities aren’t considered outdated but unfortunately it looks as if they are these days. Because this involves a kid then somehow this inexcusable behavior is supposed to be ok? Absolutely not! Where does the “right” to disturb and be a public nuisance to others end? The kid isn’t ready yet to be out in PUBLIC because it cannot do so without disturbing and bothering others. Leave the ill behaved and uncontrollable kid at HOME until when or if it is possible for the kid to behave and participate appropriately.

Unbelievable response. This was not a luxury pleasure cruise. This is PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION, which is supposed to accommodate ALL people, including those that may need to transport their BABY to, I don't know, maybe a MEDICAL APPOINTMENT!

Old 10-11-2011, 09:37 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well, let's just spank this newborn!
In this day parents seem to feel that everyone should just tolerate their kids. No thought of controlling the child.
In this case we don't have all the facts. The infant was in distress and was crying. I would have got off the boss. If my kids cried in the store we left the store. Go to the store today and kids run in the aisles. If I can teach a severely autistic child to behave why cant parents control so called normal kids?
I suspect that for this bus driver it was less about this infant and more about unruly kids in general. accumulative trauma.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:43 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
In this day parents seem to feel that everyone should just tolerate their kids. No thought of controlling the child.
In this case we don't have all the facts. The infant was in distress and was crying. I would have got off the boss. If my kids cried in the store we left the store. Go to the store today and kids run in the aisles. If I can teach a severely autistic child to behave why cant parents control so called normal kids?
I suspect that for this bus driver it was less about this infant and more about unruly kids in general. accumulative trauma.
According to the article, the kid is about 1 1/2 years old. Also, it was around 8 pm. The mother had trouble with the English language (Spanish). So would you get out with a baby at that time of the night, not speaking the local language, and probably not very familiar with the area and so you don't know if the area is safe or when the next bus will pass?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies