U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2011, 02:57 PM

4,126 posts, read 4,446,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
It hasn't. That's exactly WHY colicky babies cannot be calmed.
Well, that certainly clears things up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 03:00 PM

5,645 posts, read 4,111,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
Well, that certainly clears things up.
What is your point here?

Old 10-13-2011, 03:07 PM

4,126 posts, read 4,446,221 times
Quote:
What is your point here?

Never Mind.

Old 10-13-2011, 03:15 PM

6,396 posts, read 4,383,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Maybe a man would think this. A woman would not.

But you can be flippant about this if you like. It shows us all that you're not serious about this issue, and certainly not serious about taking care of children.
Sorry, I raised two children as a single dad., one of the first men in my city/state given primary physical custody of their 2 children.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but seeing I have been in the exact situation you described, except it was my father who passed when my oldest was the only child and was less than 4 months old, and I dealt with it.

I can't help it you don't like my answer and I wasn't being flippant per se, I was telling you exactly what I did, and how I accomplished it. You can do something different as long as you respect others. Hauling a child on a 2000 mile plane ride is unsat, and shows a complete lack of respect for others and a lack of responsibility on your part.

Last edited by Darkatt; 10-13-2011 at 03:24 PM..

Old 10-13-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
That's ridiculous. People should halt their entire lives just b/c they have a child? We plan to travel back to FL around Easter when DD will be about 8 months old. I hope you're on that plane next to me and I hope my baby screams her head off.
I hope so too, because I will get multiple free tickets to various locations, and you may get asked never to fly again due to the fact you have no respect for others.

BTW which airline are you planning to fly so I can warn them of your proposal.

Old 10-13-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
You're kidding, right? I guess maybe you don't consider your children part of your family if you would go 2000 miles to a funeral of the child's grandparent and leave the baby home for days with a sitter. What kind of sitter stays for days, anyway?

Are you really serious? At 4 months old the baby has no idea who this person was, nor do they feel a loss.

If you have nobody you could find to help out in this situation, then I truly feel sorry for you.

Old 10-13-2011, 03:19 PM

5,275 posts, read 4,375,570 times
Quote:
That's ridiculous. People should halt their entire lives just b/c they have a child? We plan to travel back to FL around Easter when DD will be about 8 months old. I hope you're on that plane next to me and I hope my baby screams her head off.
I'm sure it will. But I certainly don't think our society has improved one iota by abandoning all standards of behavior, and failing to censure those who are proud of causing social disruption.

And I'm sure you'll be just as understanding if your child finally stops crying and falls asleep, only to have it blasted awake and into another endless fit when the people sitting next you turn out to have brought along their yappy little dog, who decides to bark incessantly for the entire flight.

Old 10-13-2011, 03:20 PM

39,948 posts, read 24,187,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Sorry, I raised w children as a single dad., one of the first men in my city/state given primary physical custody of their 2 children.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but seeing I have been in the exact situation you described, except it was my father who passed when my oldest was the only child and was less than 4 months old, and I dealt with it.

I can't help it you don't like my answer and I wasn't being flippant per se, I was telling you exactly what I did, and how I accomplished it. You can do something different as long as you respect others. Hauling a child on a 2000 mile plane ride is unsat, and shows a complete lack of respect for others and a lack of responsibility on your part.
You left your four-month old child with a babysitter for days????

You know, you may pat yourself on the back for having primary physical custody of your kids, and I'm sure you did the best you could. But a parent who goes out of town for several days and leaves their four-month old with a babysitter isn't responsible in my book. That it worked out for you shows that you were lucky. That you could do it shows that you have no understanding of the bond between a mother and a newborn.

I can't help it that you don't like my viewpoint. I'm certainly not being flippant. A woman left alone at a bus stop after dark with a child is a woman at risk. If you don't understand that, then I'm sorry for you.

Old 10-13-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
You left your four-month old child with a babysitter for days????

You know, you may pat yourself on the back for having primary physical custody of your kids, and I'm sure you did the best you could. But a parent who goes out of town for several days and leaves their four-month old with a babysitter isn't responsible in my book. That it worked out for you shows that you were lucky. That you could do it shows that you have no understanding of the bond between a mother and a newborn.

I can't help it that you don't like my viewpoint. I'm certainly not being flippant. A woman left alone at a bus stop after dark with a child is a woman at risk. If you don't understand that, then I'm sorry for you.
With a friend of the family, who offered to help out. You do have close family friends, right?

It's even sadder that you claim maternal bond as a right to haul a baby on a flight for someone they haven't a clue has passed, so you can feel better.

I am glad I have close family friends I can rely on in times of true need, and I feel bad you don't.

Old 10-13-2011, 03:42 PM

39,948 posts, read 24,187,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
With a friend of the family, who offered to help out. You do have close family friends, right?

It's even sadder that you claim maternal bond as a right to haul a baby on a flight for someone they haven't a clue has passed, so you can feel better.

I am glad I have close family friends I can rely on in times of true need, and I feel bad you don't.
So, you're not saying just leave the baby with a babysitter? You had a support network to help you out, and you just assume that everyone has a similar support network. Unfortunately that assumption is false. It's an extremely mobile society, and not everyone has close family friends that live nearby, that don't work, and that can volunteer to babysit infants for an extended period of time. And, no one is saying that the baby would know who the grandparent is. No one is that stupid. Babies know who their mothers are, who their primary caregivers are, and it can be very distressing to babies to have a stranger taking over their care, especially for an extended period of time. That distress can make the baby sick. So, as I said, you were lucky. You should appreciate that luck, rather than assuming that everyone has the same choices that you had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies