Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 07:31 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,165,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKrab View Post
How do you get a babysitter for a newborn 0-1 year old who needs breastfed? Did you really have children? This sounds like something a person unexperienced with a baby would say.
Not all babies are breastfed.. Ever heard of Lactosis? Both of my children had it, and could not tolerate breastmilk, and had to have a special formula.

Ever heard of a breastpump for those babies that are breastfed?

There are ways to deal with the situation. It has nothing to do with being coldhearted, it has everything to do with taking control of a situation and dealing with it the best way possible.

Tell me, what happens when cabin pressure changes and the baby's sinuses are a bit clogged and the pressure in the eustation tube increases or decreases and the baby cannot equalize the pressure? What happens if it gets bad enough that the eardrum is damaged because you had to have the baby on an airplane? How about if there is a lot of turbulence and the baby or the carrier the baby is in, comes loose, or something falls out of an overhead compartment and strikes the baby? (Remember, there is a woman suing an airlines for a bumpy ride).

Tell me have you thought through the DANGERS of bringing the baby on the plane, let alone consequences that can take place? I am not even talking about a child crying or baby crying disrupting other passengers. I am discussing the effects of air travel on a child or baby?

Instead of focusing on accusing me of being coldhearted, MAYBE you should analyze my reasoning. I make decisions based on facts, and while you may believe them to be coldhearted, the facts are there are many risks to taking a baby on an airplane and that, coupled with the the fact that it can and most likely will cause others an annoyance, the responsible thing to do is to get a close family friend to help out so that my child is safe and others aren't burdened with having to put up with a crying child.

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 10-14-2011 at 10:26 AM.. Reason: Edited quote to reflect current version
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 07:47 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I call BS. I do fly a lot..... And every flight has the poor infant crying for hours at a time.
Ears will not equalize if you are congested. Chewing gum can help unless you are congested.
I was a navy diver yes a SEAL. I understand all to well the pressures on the ear drums. I know just about every trick in the book to as you say make the ears pop. Chewing gum or the pacifier will work fine as long as the throat isn't affected or the eustachian tube is clear.
Now that cabin filled with people recirculated air. hmmmm why not just invite strangers to breath in your baby's face. But hey its your child do as you see fit.
Out of state adoption. 1 flight is a not the issue especially in that case its a nessasary evil. But to take a baby for a funeral? I didnt make my kids go when they were 6 or 7. No point to it. But once again your call.
This has nothing to do with being a Navy SEAL, or the dangers of flying to the child. How do you propose to get from Denver to Pittsburgh, a distance of 1500 miles, and still have enough vacation time left to visit if you have to spend six days driving?

I've been on many an airplane. I don't keep a log of every crying baby. Often you can tell when the descent begins b/c a baby starts crying. Usually the flight is almost over by then. We flew with our oldest a lot. Sometimes the flight went well, sometimes it did not. ONce we had a second, we didn't fly as much.

As far as funerals, it's a personal decision. I won't criticize your parenting of not taking your kids to funerals at 6 and 7, if you don't criticize mine.

Quote:
[/b]
As I suspected some folks have no concept of what a real friend is..
No I wouldn't leave my child with an acquaintance. As that is what you describe.
A friend is someone I would trust with my life. I have watched the children of my friends for a weekend and once for a week. No problem.
I have cared for my nephews for a week no problem.
So kindly get off your own high horse.
I see you have absolutely no experience with having zero family within 500 miles of your home, and of being new in town and not having the type of friends you describe. How old were these kids you kept for a week?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Not all babies are breastfed.. Ever heard of Lactosis? Both of my children had it, and could not tolerate breastmilk, and had to have a special formula.

There are ways to deal with the situation. It has nothing to do with being coldhearted, it has everything to do with taking control of a situation and dealing with it the best way possible.

Tell me, what happens when cabin pressure changes and the baby's sinuses are a bit clogged and the pressure in the eustation tube increases or decreases and the baby cannot equalize the pressure? What happens if it gets bad enough that the eardrum is damaged because you had to have the baby on an airplane? How about if there is a lot of turbulence and the baby or the carrier the baby is in, comes loose, or something falls out of an overhead compartment and strikes the baby? (Remember, there is a woman suing an airlines for a bumpy ride).

Tell me have you thought through the DANGERS of bringing the baby on the plane, let alone consequences that can take place? I am not even talking about a child crying or baby crying disrupting other passengers. I am discussing the effects of air travel on a child or baby?

Instead of focusing on accusing me of being coldhearted, MAYBE should analyze my reasoning. I make decisions based on facts, and while you may believe them to be coldhearted, the facts are there are many risks to taking a baby on an airplane and that, coupled with the the fact that it can and most likely will cause others an annoyance, the responsible thing to do is to get a close family friend to help out so that my child is safe and others aren't burdened with having to put up with a crying child.
Oh, cut the crap! You obviously have no experience with breast fed babies who absoutely, positively WILL NOT take a bottle. If you want to argue that you can get any baby to take a bottle, be my guest. Even my then teenage daugter found out differently when she worked at a day care.

I work in pediatrics and we feel it is safe to take a baby on an airplane, despite your rant. It's far safer than taking a kid in a car. It's better than leaving the baby with kindly, but strange, to him/her anyway, people.

As for "lactosis", I did a google search and there is no such thing. I have worked in pediatrics 40 years and I never heard of it. You're making something up to justify your stance. And so what if an individual baby isn't breast fed? Some babies are!

Old 10-14-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

As for "lactosis", I did a google search and there is no such thing. I have worked in pediatrics 40 years and I never heard of it. You're making something up to justify your stance. And so what if an individual baby isn't breast fed? Some babies are!
Pardon my spelling, perhaps I can educate you.

Lactose intolerance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-14-2011, 08:50 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Pardon my spelling, perhaps I can educate you.

Lactose intolerance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Surprising as it may seem to you, I'm familiar with lactose intolerance, which can be remedied by the mom eliminiating dairy from her diet. It also has nothing to do with the thread topic.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Surprising as it may seem to you, I'm familiar with lactose intolerance, which can be remedied by the mom eliminiating dairy from her diet. It also has nothing to do with the thread topic.
It was in reference to another post, and no the mom eliminating dairy from her diet doesn't address the baby being unable to process lactic acid, which is in fact in breast milk. If you don't understand how that became a part of this, read previous entries as a part of this thread.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:21 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,279,445 times
Quote:
It was in reference to another post, and no the mom eliminating dairy from her diet doesn't address the baby being unable to process lactic acid, which is in fact in breast milk. If you don't understand how that became a part of this, read previous entries as a part of this thread.
Lactose is the sugar in milk, not lactic acid.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:28 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,107,072 times
Quote:
I call BS. I do fly a lot..... And every flight has the poor infant crying for hours at a time.
Ears will not equalize if you are congested. Chewing gum can help unless you are congested.
I was a navy diver yes a SEAL. I understand all to well the pressures on the ear drums. I know just about every trick in the book to as you say make the ears pop. Chewing gum or the pacifier will work fine as long as the throat isn't affected or the eustachian tube is clear.
The congestion would come after the pressure is equalized, though. Descent would be harder to deal with, in your scenario.

I have never been on a plane where an infant cried for any length of time.

Quote:
Now that cabin filled with people recirculated air. hmmmm why not just invite strangers to breath in your baby's face. But hey its your child do as you see fit.
You do realize that the baby has MY immunity for the first months and then the breastmilk she received also gives her a boost. I am not one that is opposed to my child getting everyday illnesses as I know it will strengthen her immune system for later in life. I personally almost never get sick. I'm really not concerned about recirculated air.

Quote:
Out of state adoption. 1 flight is a not the issue especially in that case its a nessesary evil. But to take a baby for a funeral? I didnt make my kids go when they were 6 or 7. No point to it. But once again your call.
So one flight is not an issue? But what if the child cries the entire time? That is excusable b/c it's only one flight and b/c the baby was adopted? Anytime I go anywhere, my child is coming with me, period. My child being with her mother (and father, for that matter) is a necessary "evil" that I don't find all that horrible.

I don't see why people don't understand that a child is part of the family, it's not supposed to just be left b/c it may start crying and *gasp* disturb strangers it will never see again. I'm starting to take a "who cares?" attitude b/c of this thread. If people are so insensitive about it, why should I care about their desire to not hear it?

ETA: Thank you for your service.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
[/b]
As I suspected some folks have no concept of what a real friend is..
No I wouldn't leave my child with an acquaintance. As that is what you describe.
A friend is someone I would trust with my life. I have watched the children of my friends for a weekend and once for a week. No problem.
I have cared for my nephews for a week no problem.
So kindly get off your own high horse.
I've done the same. I watched my old best friend's kid while she went to work several times each week and of course we have hosted our nieces and nephews for days at a time, sometimes weeks as was the case a few summers ago. The youngest was 3 years old and he only made it I think 4 days before he was crying for his mommy. Little kids have terrible separation anxiety starting around 5-6 months and that turns into just plain being homesick when they get old enough to realize mommy is not going away permanently.

None of this is the same as leaving a little baby with someone for days on end. And yeah, the separation anxiety can be pretty bad, as was evidenced in my mommy and me group a couple weeks ago when one of the moms went in the other room to get her eyebrows done. Anyone leaving their child for a period of time before object permanence is cemented is allowing their child to feel a real sense of despair when they believe their parent is not coming back. Separation anxiety can even continue into the toddler years, ever taken your kid to daycare and had them scream when you walk out the door?

I know most people without a background in psychology won't just understand this, so here is a link if you don't believe me: Separation Anxiety - Your Child's Development

Old 10-14-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:

So it is your position that a child who is exclusively breastfed and never had a bottle should have a bottle introduced just to avoid the possibility of irritating other passengers on a flight should the child start crying? That is completely coldhearted.

Quote:

1. I doubt a baby is at higher risk of "airplane ear" than an adult. If the parent is informed and is popping the child's ears by nursing, etc., there is little risk of this.

2. If the baby is being held by a responsible parent, there is no risk of the baby coming loose. If the baby is in his own seat, that seat will be properly installed and will not come loose. The chance of an overhead compartment coming open during a flight is very small, I've never seen it happen. In our case, my husband would likely be on the outside seat and I would be seated in the middle with the baby on my lap, so that minimizes the chances of something hitting the baby if the freak incident of something falling out of an overhead bin occurred.

It's all about common sense and being informed. A woman suing for turbulence deserves to never be on an airplane, crap happens. Flying is safer than riding in a car. I bet you would tell me I should drive down to FL if I had to take the child in the funeral example...that would be putting the baby at higher risk for injury, right? I would also ask if you have ever ridden for a length of time in a car with a child, it is not fun having to stop every couple of hours to feed and change diapers. And no, that baby is not coming out of her carseat while the car is moving. I was hit twice while driving during pregnancy, I am not about to take that risk with my child.

Quote:

See above. The alternative is the car, which is a no-go.

Quote:

Instead of focusing on accusing me of being coldhearted, MAYBE you should analyze my reasoning. I make decisions based on facts, and while you may believe them to be coldhearted, the facts are there are many risks to taking a baby on an airplane and that, coupled with the the fact that it can and most likely will cause others an annoyance, the responsible thing to do is to get a close family friend to help out so that my child is safe and others aren't burdened with having to put up with a crying child.
I am also making decisions based on facts. I have a new baby in the house. I know what is best for her. Every parent has to decide for himself what is best for his own child. Again, I do not have a "close family friend" to help out. But ya know what, even if I did, I am of the opinion that the child is safest and happiest with ME. Actually, that's not an opinion, that's a FACT. Maybe you should stop and analyze MY reasoning here instead of saying I'm basing it all on emotion.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
LLLI | Foremilk and Hindmilk

Take a look at the second half of this page, specifically paragraphs 4 and 5.
Quote:
Lactose intolerance is not a problem for babies.... True lactose intolerance in infants is called galactosemia, an extremely rare genetic condition (approximately 1 in 30,000 US births) that is present from birth and fatal if not treated; a baby with the disorder would not gain weight well and would have clear symptoms of malabsorption and dehydration. ... Although infants are not lactose intolerant by nature, a high volume of lactose can overwhelm a baby's digestive system.
Can't put more on here so you'll have to read it yourself. But suffice it to say, you are wrong about the lactose claim. The VAST majority of babies CAN breastfeed if the mother and baby try hard enough for long enough. The breastmilk itself is usually not the issue when BFing fails. Lactose intolerance is usually discovered when a child is on regular formula, as it is made from cow's milk. I say "lactose intolerance" loosely b/c we are all lactose intolerant as milk was not intended for adult consumption and thus we lack the enzymes to break it down as efficiently as a baby, but some people just have a bigger issue digesting it than others and have to take a lactase supplement when they eat dairy to help break down the sugars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies