U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-10-2011, 12:06 PM
 
17,538 posts, read 19,712,218 times
Reputation: 7291

Advertisements

I think the bus driver is at fault... I think suing however is FRIVOLOUS... the bus driver needs disciplinary action but firing is an overreaction... I know babies can really scream when they cry so I am understanding that it can play havoc on your nerves... cool heads prevail... I think there should be an apology and small monetary gift to soothe over the tension but nothing excessive... I am tired of frivolous lawsuits... having hurt feelings isn't a reason to sue...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-10-2011, 12:19 PM
 
Location: Atlanta metro
5,645 posts, read 4,119,634 times
Reputation: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I think it would be ridiculous to sue. What is the point? What did she lose? A dollar? A half an hour of time while waiting for the next bus?
Her sanity perhaps? It's hard enough when you cannot comfort your child, but to be embarrassed in public and then have to get off the bus either b/c you are so embarrassed or b/c you are kicked off is damaging to one's mental status, esp as a new mother when hormones are haywire as it is.
Quote:

If the baby was out of control screaming, (which we will not know unless there is a video tape otherwise it's a "he said, she said" deal), then it's not just about this woman, it's about the other passengers on the bus.
But that wasn't the case. It seems the driver was the only one with the probvlem.

Quote:

I used to drive airboat tours. If a child got out of control screaming, (and this happened a few times), I would turn around and make them remove that child. In one case, the kid was having an all out fit, thrashing around on the floor of the boat. This became a danger for the child. Not only was it unbelievably irritating for everyone else who paid money to go, it was to the point the child was going to injure herself.

I couldn't say much over her screams so I simply started the boat up, went back to the dock, she and her mother got off, the mother handed the child to the dad, the mother got back on and I told everyone they had a choice to continue or get off there. They all opted to retake the entire tour because of this kid.

In the end, that was about the best bunch of tips I ever received because everyone was thankful. Even the mother tipped me big because she was embarrassed about her kid and she knew I did the right thing.
TOTALLY different. What you did was understandable and the child did indeed pose a danger in your situation.
Quote:

In this case it's a bus ride. Even if it's only a few bucks, those other people paid to be on that bus as well as that mom. Do you say one person gets off and calms the baby down or do you make everyone suffer because of the screaming kid?
It's not a joyride, it's a means to an end. Most people don't enjoy riding public transit.

Quote:

I think the bus driver did the right thing.

Even if his boss decides he did not do the right thing, what grounds are there to sue? Why the hell is everyone in this country so quick to say, "I would sue!!!!" Sue for WHAT!!!!! There is nothing she lost but a half an hour.
I am one of the last to say one should sue. This woman was not only embarrassed but put in harm's way by having to get off the bus.

Quote:

Or should I sue in the future because a bus driver doesn't kick them off and I suffer "emotional pain and distress"? Give me a break with suing over every little thing.

Edit: What you claim as facts are not facts. One person said that everyone got off in protest, there is no proof that the reason everyone got off was in protest. You also said, "middle of the night"...it's fricken 8pm. It's still light out in Oregon at 8pm at this time of year. It also did not say "every single passenger" it said "several". How many is several?
Note I did NOT say people got off in protest. I was very careful to present the known facts, I said they disembarked. I presented 3 links so you all can make up your own mind as to what you believe. I am not the one who said midle of the night, either. It WAS dark out, though. 8pm anywhere this time of year. I'm pretty sure the articles did state every passenger got off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2011, 12:24 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
34,599 posts, read 33,585,802 times
Reputation: 51703
It's not like she was going to be on the bus forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2011, 12:25 PM
 
Location: Atlanta metro
5,645 posts, read 4,119,634 times
Reputation: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I think the bus driver is at fault... I think suing however is FRIVOLOUS... the bus driver needs disciplinary action but firing is an overreaction... I know babies can really scream when they cry so I am understanding that it can play havoc on your nerves... cool heads prevail... I think there should be an apology and small monetary gift to soothe over the tension but nothing excessive... I am tired of frivolous lawsuits... having hurt feelings isn't a reason to sue...
It's not frivolous IMO. As someone who has been thisclose to postpartum depression, I can say it only takes one incident to put one over the edge. And having a colicky baby is hard enough. What if that was the last straw for this mother? I don't think she should get some crazy amount if she sued but I think she does have a case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2011, 12:26 PM
 
Location: Atlanta metro
5,645 posts, read 4,119,634 times
Reputation: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurac View Post
it's not like she was going to be on the bus forever.
exactly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2011, 12:29 PM
 
Location: somewhere in the woods
16,885 posts, read 12,997,657 times
Reputation: 5211
according to some people, public transportation only applies to everyone but mothers with children.

maybe the driver should have had more of a heart or gotten another job somewhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2011, 12:30 PM
 
4,126 posts, read 4,453,699 times
Reputation: 1615
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I completely disagree. The passengers are saying it was not bothersome, how is it that the driver was so distracted by it? Yes, talking on a cell phone is distracting but so is carrying on a conversation in the car with someone else, which if I'm not mistaken, was also going on on that bus. The bus was full. It was probably pretty loud on the bus, actually. To say the baby crying was the most distracting thing going on is disingenuous.
The passengers aren't driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2011, 12:37 PM
 
3,064 posts, read 2,236,019 times
Reputation: 967
Its a baby! Babies cry. Kicking the mother with baby off the bus was wrong. This wasn't a pleasure cruise. Her tax dollars pay for that public transportation also.

Maybe the bus driver needs to start kicking off all distracting, irritating people like the stinky, smelly passengers or guys with their baggy pants drooping down around their knees or the gals with cleavage down to their navals or the homeless guy singing to himself or the guy who's yapping on his cellphone or the little old lady with the ringing hearing aide...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2011, 12:37 PM
 
Location: Atlanta metro
5,645 posts, read 4,119,634 times
Reputation: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
The passengers aren't driving.
The point is that there are other distracting things going on, including overhearing others' conversations and any thoughts the driver has about what she is overhearing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2011, 12:42 PM
 
17,538 posts, read 19,712,218 times
Reputation: 7291
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
It's not frivolous IMO. As someone who has been thisclose to postpartum depression, I can say it only takes one incident to put one over the edge. And having a colicky baby is hard enough. What if that was the last straw for this mother? I don't think she should get some crazy amount if she sued but I think she does have a case.
I see... so suing would solve this? I didn't think so... the bus driver isn't responsible knowing your medical history and shouldn't be liable for your own problems... their job is get from A to B, anything else would be a perk... it is indeed frivolous... the lawsuit doesn't solve anything and is a sign of greed, hence frivolous...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top