U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 05:11 PM

4,510 posts, read 4,103,077 times

Advertisements

Secret panel can put Americans on ‘kill list’

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – American militants like Anwar al-Awlaki are placed on a kill or capture list by a secretive panel of senior government officials, which then informs the president of its decisions, according to officials.
There is no public record of the operations or decisions of the panel, which is a subset of the White House’s National Security Council, several current and former officials said. Neither is there any law establishing its existence or setting out the rules by which it is supposed to operate.
The panel was behind the decision to add Awlaki, a U.S.-born militant preacher with alleged al Qaeda connections, to the target list. He was killed by a CIA drone strike in Yemen late last month

The White House is portraying the killing of Awlaki as a demonstration of President Barack Obama’s toughness toward militants who threaten the United States. But the process that led to Awlaki’s killing has drawn fierce criticism from both the political left and right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 05:34 PM

17,027 posts, read 9,522,940 times
Remember when we had "Due Process"?

Old 10-10-2011, 05:38 PM

44,924 posts, read 28,123,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
That would b Due Process for citizens who hadn't declared their desire to destroy us, though, wouldn't it? I fear this crap, but really don't think that al Awlaki was included in that part of our law.

Would we have tried to kill Hitler with the same method we used to get him? I think we would have.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:39 PM

17,027 posts, read 9,522,940 times
I didn't say he was cool!

Old 10-10-2011, 05:57 PM

4,510 posts, read 4,103,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Yes, but I guess we can be judge, jury and executioner all in one nowadays, depending how your politics roll. That Obama, he's a baaaaad man! LOL!!!

Old 10-10-2011, 06:03 PM

25,059 posts, read 23,087,058 times
Have liberals been outraged over this, or because Obama did it, it's somehow ok?

Old 10-10-2011, 06:11 PM

5,886 posts, read 4,176,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Secret panel can put Americans on ‘kill list’

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – American militants like Anwar al-Awlaki are placed on a kill or capture list by a secretive panel of senior government officials, which then informs the president of its decisions, according to officials.
There is no public record of the operations or decisions of the panel, which is a subset of the White House’s National Security Council, several current and former officials said. Neither is there any law establishing its existence or setting out the rules by which it is supposed to operate.
The panel was behind the decision to add Awlaki, a U.S.-born militant preacher with alleged al Qaeda connections, to the target list. He was killed by a CIA drone strike in Yemen late last month

The White House is portraying the killing of Awlaki as a demonstration of President Barack Obama’s toughness toward militants who threaten the United States. But the process that led to Awlaki’s killing has drawn fierce criticism from both the political left and right.
"He pulls a knife you pull a gun, he sends one of yours to the hospital you send one of his to the morgue! That's the Chicago way."

Old 10-10-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
That would b Due Process for citizens who hadn't declared their desire to destroy us, though, wouldn't it? I fear this crap, but really don't think that al Awlaki was included in that part of our law.

Would we have tried to kill Hitler with the same method we used to get him? I think we would have.
Was Hitler an American citizen? Besides there's a BIG difference between Hitler and al-Awlaki. One, used a blog, words to criticize the American government and allegedly, possibly collaborated to carry out attacks. The other one rose to the top of an actual government and carried out the genocide of a targeted group of people and also invaded several nations. They are not equal.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:16 PM

12,263 posts, read 9,412,569 times
Eff him, I don't care how Obama did it. Anwar al-Awlaki was a bad person and I'm glad he's dead.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Eff him, I don't care how Obama did it. Anwar al-Awlaki was a bad person and I'm glad he's dead.
America, hell yeah! The ends totally justify the means, morality, due process, and principles are completely overrated anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies