Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 01:10 PM

1,459 posts, read 3,297,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Klato View Post
I am ok with someone making a lot of money just along as they put in the hard work.

Some of these CEOs make a insane amount of money and i just wonder exactly what they do to deserve it.

Send emails, rub elbows with other CEOs, politicians, delegate duties to subordinates, analyze figures, make projections, etc.

Louis Bacon = Annual salary $400 million
Bruce Kovner = Annual salary $800 million
Paul Jones = Annual salary $800 million
Steven Cohen = Annual salary $1 Billion
Edward Lampert = Annual salary $1.5 Billion

Edward Lampert???

dude got lucky on the Sears?kmart deal. he doesn't make $1.5 billion a year....and he is the CEO of his own private hedge fund.

matter in fact, most of the people you mentioned are hedge fund managers and do not make that much....unless you are including what their funds return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 01:10 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,945,330 times
Quote:
I am ok with someone making a lot of money just along as they put in the hard work.
Why the hell does it matter? Or we then to evaluate your "effort" and justify whether you deserve the pay you are given? I could select many that might view your efforts versus your pay as being insufficient. Is this what you desire?

Quote:
Some of these CEOs make a insane amount of money and i just wonder exactly what they do to deserve it.
And what do you define as "deserve"? Again, are we to evaluate what YOU deserve? By whose standard do we establish such?

Quote:
Send emails, rub elbows with other CEOs, politicians, delegate duties to subordinates, analyze figures, make projections, etc.

And I work on complex networks, establish the flow of information so society, so businesses can actually communicate their deals. If I shut you down, you lose millions of dollars, 20 seconds of lost transactions in my works can mean massive losses in business. Shall I then evaluate your contributions? Your ability to deal with issues? What you deserve for earnings? I see many people to which their job requirements would be considered a game, something I could teach a monkey to do in a couple of hours and yet they make 50k a year or more? Who pays idiots to do such stupid work that someone could learn in a week with some avid reading and a bit of effort?

What is that? I don't know your job? It takes a lot more than that? Well, until you fill the job of such people, why don't you excuse us from thinking your little rant about "who makes what and how much" is nothing more than an envious unskilled day worker going off about how he doesn't get paid millions for doing stupid repetitious pointless tasks? Maybe?

Seriously, until you have walked the shoes of those you judge, shut the hell up!

Why do you care anyway? Does their accomplishments somehow keep you from excelling? Or are you just too damn angry at what others make that you can't seem to manage to excel yourself?

Old 10-11-2011, 01:33 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,156,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahnyc View Post
Our company told us they could not afford to give out raises even if you took a 'promotion.' They would give you a title change as if it paid the bills.

All this while the CEO gave himself a 20% raise ontop of his bonuses to rake in record compensation exceeding 20 million for a company with a market cap of less than 3 billion.
How did your CEO give himself a raise? The CEO's compensation should be set by the board. Even if the CEO is the Chairman, he can't set his own salary. He can certainly ask for it - but it is the board that sets compensation.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:34 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,908,830 times
Quote:

They risk their own money and receive a return. They have proven to know how to choose investments wisely and other people will choose to let him invest their money. As a payment, he keeps a portion of the money made.

Four guys listed above have Forbes profiles that I could easily find. The common theme among them are "self made".
Steve Cohen - Forbes
Bruce Kovner, The World's Richest People - Forbes.com
Louis Bacon, The World's Richest People - Forbes.com
http://www.forbes.com/lists/2010/10/...pert_22YS.html

You may "get lucky" and make a few million. You aren't going to become a billionaire and have other people give you money to invest without being an expert in your field.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:39 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,920,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird2007 View Post
Edward Lampert???

dude got lucky on the Sears?kmart deal. he doesn't make $1.5 billion a year....and he is the CEO of his own private hedge fund.

matter in fact, most of the people you mentioned are hedge fund managers and do not make that much....unless you are including what their funds return.
wall street ballers. it was reported in 2004 or 2006 he was earning 1.5 billion.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
wall street ballers. it was reported in 2004 or 2006 he was earning 1.5 billion.

earned. past tense. that was his one and only deal.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:50 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,528,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Stockholders have to care enough to change the golden parachutes and other compensation packages. They have to be willing to not allow their boards to determine their own pay but to set it at a percentage be it of company earnings, stock yield, or other measure.

Unless one is a company stockholder, it is really none of his/her business as to what at any corporation anyone earns.

If these Marxist protestors and their astroturf organizers had a clue they would put the money they are spending in protests into stock aquisitions, become stockholders, and have a say in what happened.
What don't you get? We the 99% are sick of it. We are in debt up to out eyeballs keeping the rich wealthy. We have had it with life destroying health care cost. We are tired of getting road over by corporate America while they poison us and our children. We know that there are much better ways to power our cars and homes but those ways are being held back by greedy oil and energy companies. The rich don't work. Thats a crock. They set back and have an easy life because thats the way the system was built. Easy credit rip off and all the other BS has pushed the bottom to far America. We want decent hours for decent pay that doesn't suck the life out of us so we cant even enjoy our families. vacation like they have in the rest of the world. Not this two separate lame weeks BS.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
How did your CEO give himself a raise? The CEO's compensation should be set by the board. Even if the CEO is the Chairman, he can't set his own salary. He can certainly ask for it - but it is the board that sets compensation.

unless its privately held. Yeah, owner wanting to keep more money for himself.....oh the injustice.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:57 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,528,424 times
Maybe this will help you understand

“Unfelt” Misery of the American Workers « PHILOSOPHY

Old 10-11-2011, 02:01 PM

58,958 posts, read 27,261,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
First, we have two problems. Liberals and mainstream conservatives. Liberals believe you need the hand of government to have a maximum wage/salary, and you have the mainstream conservatives who think CEOs can never do no wrong. The problem is the Federal Reserve, which is eroding the purchasing power of the average American. If the Fed controlled the amount of currency, and the banks weren't in debt to the tune of hundreds of trillions, we wouldn't have this problem. The problem is a lot more complex than most people think
First IMO, you are brainwashed.

second, I and many of my conservarive friends do not agree with your statement, "mainstream conservatives who think CEOs can never do no wrong".

I always laugh at people who THINK they know what other people are thinking.

I am certain you have plenty of proof to back up your claim.

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
-John
Wayne
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies