Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 03:48 PM

23,541 posts, read 17,216,356 times

Advertisements

I cut my grass to find any arrows that may have penetrated the target.

Even among lawns are the differences with the chemically treated monoculture lawns vs the, it's on it own lawn.

Lawns as fire breaks and open fields of fire are a good thing.

I have done my part to eliminate as much lawn as possible but still desire sufficeint lawn to provide diversity for insect, bird and animal life and esthetics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 04:54 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,522,627 times
Though I don't water my lawn, I do sometimes run my sprinkler for certain types of fire ant poison. I do spray Round-up around my trailer's skirting (even the smallest and weakest weedeater will damage skirting). I tried Scott's Weed-n-Feed. Works too good. Grass was growing faster than normal. That's a problem when your yard has rain water drainage issues. Sometimes go 2 or more weeks before I can safely cut. If our yard was smooth and level I'd love to use a reel mower. Cities can pas lawn restrictions because of excessive water usage in dry areas of the country but they should be fair about those restrictions and include all private businesses as well as all municipal properties.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:17 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,120,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
"Lawns are wholly irrational and ridiculous, enact large social and environmental costs, and waste space that could be used for other things - vegetable gardens, micro-habitat patches of native plants, stream restoration, you name it! Oddly, it's done entirely via an odd form of adult peer pressure (sometimes legally enforced via ridiculous HOA regulations).

I understand it often isn't legally or socially possible to rip out your lawn. That being the case, we need to address this on a large scale, all at once. There needs to be a movement to remove all of the lawns of the West, except for shared sports fields and parks. If we don't do it now, we surely will have to do it later, during the next drought - and we'll end up with a bunch of brown, flammable grass everywhere instead of something better."

The "Slow Water" Movement: West Coast Post: The Insanity of Lawns

What do you think? Let's see if we can go the WHOLE THREAD without blaming the Libs.

Just watch the video before you start to hyperventilate and pound on the keys:

Your Yard Is EVIL - YouTube
I am socially conservative and fiscally quite liberal. In drier climates, I do think lawns are somewhat ludicrous, especially in native desert habitats. However, in places which receive sufficient rainfall, I think they're more acceptable.

(Back on the riding John Deere lawn tractor)

Old 03-24-2012, 05:26 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,077,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
Better to obsess over a lawn than over whiskey or wild women.

Does Boomhower ever come over and help you mow?
Come over hell,I married his sister

Old 03-24-2012, 05:29 PM

24,509 posts, read 33,303,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
This is what I'm talking about

That's just one corner of my yard, I got berms and plantlife everywhere. And a brick patio for my grille and a place to sit and drink my beer
That looks very well-kept. Lawns do look nice when they are a healthy green. There is a lawn at my house, but it's not large in size, so it's easy to keep watered and cut.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:59 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,688,729 times
I live in a resort area where there are many small lakes with houses on every inch of shoreline. The residents insist on a well manicured lawn spraying herbicides, pesticides, and fertilizers on a steady basis. These same residents water their lawns with the lake water by pumping from the lake and spaying their lawns on a timely basis. Interestingly, they also complain about the excessive algae growth and other marine vegetation clogging the shoreline. The lakes are available to all residents but over the years of excessive chemical use have become almost devoid of marine life.

The lawn industry is one of the worst polluting industries in America. The overspray carries into neighboring properties where it is inhaled by children and pets and absorbed topically. These same chemicals used to control weeds kill neighboring gardens as collateral damage. Many of these lawn chemicals have been linked to various maladies in children, adults, and pets.

The price paid by the environment and health is far too great just to have a nice lawn. If you are one of those that have a pristine lawn where no weed dares to grow you need to look at the cost you are imposing on the rest of the world.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:48 AM

20,715 posts, read 19,355,286 times
Quote:
Charming. I bet that an arrogant punk like you has friends everywhere you go.

Consistent. You'd like things all nice, tidy and polite. Lawn worshipers spraying crap in their yards that give people cancer. I have seen people die from it including puking their bile into a bucket. I am sure you have a circle of friends who wouldn't tell you have bad breath, but just as soon dump you over board when you are not convenient.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:03 AM

20,715 posts, read 19,355,286 times
Quote:
I assume you're joking...

Uh , no. We are eating the surplus of WW2 where explosives were converted into fertilizer and chemical agents were converted to pesticides. Our nuclear power is military surplus given the option for the Uranium power cycle because you can make bombs out of it unlike Thorium. This here Internet is a military spin off, DARPA. All those war material factories where converted to make dish washers. Military surplus is the American way.

However lawns go back much further than this. Its actually British nobility that used to maintain lawns with peasant labor and was a sign of status. It was status seeking then and its status seeking now.

Now I get to enjoy the charms of noise pollution every week end. If I played music that loud people would call the police. But hey, in the one case everyone is doing it. I was thinking of playing mower noise on the stereo to see what happens.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:09 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,077,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Uh , no. We are eating the surplus of WW2 where explosives were converted into fertilizer and chemical agents were converted to pesticides. Our nuclear power is military surplus given the option for the Uranium power cycle because you can make bombs out of it unlike Thorium. This here Internet is a military spin off, DARPA. All those war material factories where converted to make dish washers. Military surplus is the American way.

However lawns go back much further than this. Its actually British nobility that used to maintain lawns with peasant labor and was a sign of status. It was status seeking then and its status seeking now.

Now I get to enjoy the charms of noise pollution every week end. If I played music that loud people would call the police. But hey, in the one case everyone is doing it. I was thinking of playing mower noise on the stereo to see what happens.
Geez...Im glad I don't have any neighbors....sounds like even mowing your grass is a major inconvenience to some....and folks wonder why neighbors fight each other all the time

Old 03-26-2012, 09:17 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,723,822 times
I love my lawns, both of them. Especially when I hire the chesty but out of work gal with the phd to mow them for me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies