U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 04:07 PM

29,518 posts, read 16,417,568 times

Advertisements

I agree and think we should work on reversing this trend. I DON'T agree with government telling people how to handle their yards.

Maybe we could start peer pressure movements that would reverse this habit over time.

On the other hand, as water becomes more scarce, the price will drive many to smaller lawns or to eliminate them entirely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 04:11 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,664,057 times
Our grass actully keeeps the soil form being washed away when we get alot of rain fall.I thnik we saw a example of what happens when nothing covers the dirty in the great depression.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:15 PM

3,064 posts, read 5,567,456 times
I don't mind if my neighbors waste their money on their lawns, it improves the value of my little dump.

I don't like hearing their sprinklers go on at 3a.m. and feeling like I live on a golf course, again.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:21 PM

1,082 posts, read 788,876 times
Where are kids supposed to play? The mall?

Old 10-11-2011, 04:27 PM

30,509 posts, read 33,322,731 times
I don't like people moving into an established neighborhood because they like it so much and it looks nicw then they immediately want to change everything and not have rules apply to them. I see in in HOA's alot and with so many housing choices they don't have to.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:39 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,469,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I have a lawn in the front and back of my house. They aren't huge and I have to water it but it's set up to be done with automatic sprinklers. And I pay a kid to mow it becaue I'm lazy but I have done it myself and could again. I like it and we hang out on it when the weather is nice. The kids used to run through the sprinklers and we'd play games, etc. I even have my own croquet set . It's the closest to nature that I usually get so it's important for my property to look nice and have a purpose. I don't get people who have a backyard and let it turn into an overgrown weed patch and junk yard though. They really aren't taking advantage of the property and probably paid an awful lot for that unused space. I think we all know people who have done that. My dad has a lawn that's only about 5 X 10. It's in a yard with lot's of plants and trees and rock and patio. He said it was silly but he liked looking out the window and seeing a patch of green. And it's super easy for him to maintain! LOL
When I lived a quarter mile from the ocean, we had a front yard of rock and desert plants. Lawns at the beach are really hard to keep from dying on you from the salt in the air. Everyone with grass loved our yard since it was different. The back we had random garden which suited us fine. But my dad wanted a little bit of lawn. His patch was about that size but he wanted dichondra to grow. Dichondra and salty ocean air don't do well together. He would tend it carefully and it would die and he'd reseed it. But no way did he want a 'lawn' after the quarter acre lot before.

It is my goal to, aside from a small area for the dogs and a picnic table under the tree where the grass doesn't really grow anyway to cover it with things which will keep it out, planters, walkways, etc. And our *normal* rain means not watering lawns. If you need to its drought conditions and your wasting water.

What I'd really like it to let it grow like it wants to, as a wild meadow, but the city won't let you. Someday I'd LOVE to live outside the city limits and have a yard that looks like I want.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:40 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,834,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyBaaBaa View Post
Where are kids supposed to play? The mall?
At your neighbors (the ones who are still members of the Lawn Nazis).

Also, the park, the end of the cul-de-sac, the schoolyard -- use your imagination and they'll get their exercise, too, by walking there.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:44 PM

12,504 posts, read 16,584,283 times
Being in rural west Texas, I have no water bills on my farm except for occasional well repairs which for the three years I have been here have been non-existent. I do not irrigate the five acres around my house or the 15 acres of pastureland that wraps the property. I do keep my few shade and fruit trees and a few shrubs watered in times of drought like we are currently having.

My Albuquerque house is located on a larger than most cul-de-sac lot but I call it a postage-stamp lot. That house has a sprinkler system in the tiny grassy areas although I have replaced the original water-loving Kentucky blue-grass in the larger rear yard with drought-resistant Bermuda. My rear yard is surrounded by a seven foot cinder block privacy wall that greatly hinders the Bermuda from spreading into my neighbors' lawns which are primarily blue grass. I have not replaced the front yard yet because there are no walls to keep the tougher Bermuda from spreading into my neighbor's blue grass.

I have always loved to mow but I find that a six foot swath is a lot more fun than a 36" one. If I ever have to raise my own food, I certainly won't be doing that on a cul-de-sac city lot.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:10 PM

19,248 posts, read 17,395,652 times
I like relaxing and cutting the grass. I let some weeds grow in it, dandelion and clover. honeybees like clover and rabbits do too.
I also like raking leaves. Some people actually hate trees because they freak over doing a little yard work.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:14 PM

460 posts, read 1,188,302 times
Default Leaf blowers

Sunday was a beautiful day but the men with the leaf blowers really did a job on destroying the tranquility of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies