U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 05:28 PM

22,553 posts, read 47,262,082 times

Advertisements

Today I noticed that the Occupy thread was closed down. I didn't think much of it, just kind of shrugged my shoulders and moved on. But now that I think about it there weren't any arguments, in fact people were very civil and actually coming to some sort of a consensus. Yet, someone must have complained. Originally I felt that the Occupy thread was indeed about the local protest but I figured, eh, it got off on a broader track so it was understandable to close it down. Then this thread was started. It kind of makes me wonder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 07:02 PM

964 posts, read 1,774,695 times
Yeah, for the most part there was a lot of healthy respectful debate that was actually intelligent for once. I was kinda sad....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Today I noticed that the Occupy thread was closed down. I didn't think much of it, just kind of shrugged my shoulders and moved on. But now that I think about it there weren't any arguments, in fact people were very civil and actually coming to some sort of a consensus. Yet, someone must have complained. Originally I felt that the Occupy thread was indeed about the local protest but I figured, eh, it got off on a broader track so it was understandable to close it down. Then this thread was started. It kind of makes me wonder.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:45 PM

376 posts, read 799,927 times
It's probably just my bad, but foreigners telling us what we need to do kinda' gets my back up. Must be my redneck streak...

Old 10-11-2011, 07:50 PM

964 posts, read 1,774,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobums View Post
It's probably just my bad, but foreigners telling us what we need to do kinda' gets my back up. Must be my redneck streak...
Well, I did say "For the most part..."

But truthfully now, hasn't the US been doing exactly that to other countries for almost as long as we've been in existence?

Old 10-11-2011, 07:57 PM

376 posts, read 799,927 times
Iz ~ I don't disagree with you, but still don't like people from other countries being so sure they know how to fix all of our problems. It is probably just my issue...

Old 10-11-2011, 08:47 PM

22,553 posts, read 47,262,082 times
Most people really go wrong when they think they are the smartest one in the room. Also, when you think that everyone is always up to something it is usually because you are the one that is the snake. It's kind of like a thief that always thinks that someone is stealing from him or a liar that feels that he is always being lied to. Just something that I've noticed. But continuous ramblings that go nowhere does not make you an intellectual and just because you think you are intelligent doesn't make it so.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:02 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,861,057 times
I have made my points - feel free to debate my right to make them, or ignore the posting ; - )

Old 10-12-2011, 06:36 AM

41,505 posts, read 51,269,072 times
I have concluded the principal problem with the US, and much of the rest of the worlds, economies is they have borrowed too much money from the people that they should have been taxing. A substantial amount of this borrowing has been to sustain and protect from both invasion and competition Middle Eastern petroleum exporters.

I think the best thing the US can do is stop borrowing money from our competitors to provide the mass market they require for their industries. Eventually their domestic market will become large enough to consume their own production and they will not have to pay us to buy their stuff. Without that money our country will undergo a huge economic shock.

We could prepare for this by paying more attention and spending more money, borrowed or taxed, on our domestic problems. Hiring US contractors to build roads in Afghanistan is even more absurd than being there in the first place. Those contractors should be bidding on rebuilding our infrastructure. The only reason I can figure for our wanna be empire is to borrow the money to pay for it. The world’s banksters are getting beyond wealthy loaning us money. This is a fool’s game and we are being taken for as much as they can get out of us.

What I suggest we do is close down our empire and spend the money on ourselves instead of our military. We need to protect ourselves not some feudal kingdom that cannot protect itself because they are too small and too greedy. Another thing we can do is drastically increase Federal taxes on the top 10% and use the money to pay off the debt so we can run a balanced budget on operating the government and only borrow to fund capital projects.

Aside – this would also be good for most Americans if they only borrowed for capital expenses like houses and their expansion and not for things like doctors (nationalized Single payer health Care), hospitals, cars and groceries.

Another possibility is to simply tell the banksters we will no longer be making any payments on the debt and if they don’t like it check out the size of our army. Every century or so the bankers have to be told that they are not in charge and they can only do business if we protect them.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:37 PM

5,936 posts, read 4,657,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I have concluded the principal problem with the US, and much of the rest of the worlds, economies is they have borrowed too much money from the people that they should have been taxing. A substantial amount of this borrowing has been to sustain and protect from both invasion and competition Middle Eastern petroleum exporters.

I think the best thing the US can do is stop borrowing money from our competitors to provide the mass market they require for their industries. Eventually their domestic market will become large enough to consume their own production and they will not have to pay us to buy their stuff. Without that money our country will undergo a huge economic shock.

We could prepare for this by paying more attention and spending more money, borrowed or taxed, on our domestic problems. Hiring US contractors to build roads in Afghanistan is even more absurd than being there in the first place. Those contractors should be bidding on rebuilding our infrastructure. The only reason I can figure for our wanna be empire is to borrow the money to pay for it. The world’s banksters are getting beyond wealthy loaning us money. This is a fool’s game and we are being taken for as much as they can get out of us.

What I suggest we do is close down our empire and spend the money on ourselves instead of our military. We need to protect ourselves not some feudal kingdom that cannot protect itself because they are too small and too greedy. Another thing we can do is drastically increase Federal taxes on the top 10% and use the money to pay off the debt so we can run a balanced budget on operating the government and only borrow to fund capital projects.

Aside – this would also be good for most Americans if they only borrowed for capital expenses like houses and their expansion and not for things like doctors (nationalized Single payer health Care), hospitals, cars and groceries.

Another possibility is to simply tell the banksters we will no longer be making any payments on the debt and if they don’t like it check out the size of our army. Every century or so the bankers have to be told that they are not in charge and they can only do business if we protect them.
The bolded part is a good point but I don't know how a politician can convince the electorate that what is needed now is both higher taxes and more borrowing.

I don't think Americans have come to grips with the fact that over the next 10 years we are going to have to spend trillions to both bail out student loans and fix our broken sewage, road and electrical infrastructure.

Without heavy borrowing and taxation we are going to be done as a nation financially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies