Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 02:17 PM

1,449 posts, read 3,159,630 times

Advertisements

South Park's Vote or Die episode sums up the feeling that our choices suck pretty well. Turd Sandwich or Giant Douche?

I also have a great cartoon from years and years ago - "Vote for Me. At least I'm not the anti-christ"

I would love to see a viable third party - one that isn't fronted by some total loon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 02:29 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,158,384 times
It's no secret my ties to law enforcement. I have friends in both NYPD and DC Police. I've talked to a few from both due to my position in the training community and the need to work with them. They are pretty much in agreement that the vast majority of protestors are just there because it is the cool thing to do. No problems from them and they tend to be friendly sorts. The small percentage are hard core with a number of them disgusting dirty people. If you haven't seen the picture of the guy defecating on the NYPD car just Google it. Maybe these are the most vocal of the bunch but the messages are mixed and the officers are not quite sure what they are protesting at times. One of the officers said if we could get rid of this small crowd it would be a fairly enjoyable time for all.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:59 PM

4,433 posts, read 4,845,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
It's no secret my ties to law enforcement. I have friends in both NYPD and DC Police. I've talked to a few from both due to my position in the training community and the need to work with them. They are pretty much in agreement that the vast majority of protestors are just there because it is the cool thing to do. No problems from them and they tend to be friendly sorts. The small percentage are hard core with a number of them disgusting dirty people. If you haven't seen the picture of the guy defecating on the NYPD car just Google it. Maybe these are the most vocal of the bunch but the messages are mixed and the officers are not quite sure what they are protesting at times. One of the officers said if we could get rid of this small crowd it would be a fairly enjoyable time for all.
People do not travel across country to sleep outside on the ground because they think it is a cool thing to do.
My experience in being involved in peace and social justice groups are that the people are highly dedicated and actually act on the call to love each other.
I have one friend in bad health who still gets involved, the last time he was being arrested he suffered a heart attack, others I know have spent much time in prison some in federal prison in solitary confinment.
I know it may sound odd to you but most people out there that do what they do because it is the right thing to do, there may be a couple people along for the ride but most people take these actions seriously.
Maybe some day you will understand.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:18 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,020,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
I know it may sound odd to you but most people out there that do what they do because it is the right thing to do, there may be a couple people along for the ride but most people take these actions seriously.
Mentally ill people take their actions seriously, too, so?

Look, I was down there and the people seemed nice enough.
Hippies for sure, entitled and whiny, yes.
Making Freedom Plaza look like a shanty town; hey, what a great idea a year before an election!
I hope they keep it up; they make the left look even more unfit to have a role in our leadership.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:25 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,711,012 times
Quote:
So D.C. is a hop, skip and jump or a swim for most people living in NOVA, so who has gone to Freedom Plaza in D.C.?
I went by on Saturday morning as I was in the neighborhood already. Does that count?

Old 10-11-2011, 04:34 PM

18,717 posts, read 30,954,453 times
Quote:
People do not travel across country to sleep outside on the ground because they think it is a cool thing to do.
LOL LOL LOL We did back in the 70s, why would kids today be so different. I remember a bunch of us hopping in a van to come out to DC and protest. And yes, it was to be cool (although we never would have admitted it at the time).

As long as the protestors are peaceful, they're ok by me. I have fond memories of those days. And yes I'm sure there are some people who are very dedicated to the cause, too. Am I going to go? Nah, it was the cool thing to do when I was a college kid but now I'm a middle aged mom and other things seem cool to me now. Besides protests in DC aren't where you find the people who have the most interesting things to say, IMO--DC draws people who want to express their rage and get media coverage but the gatherings in the smaller towns are where you can talk to people who are actually doing some brainstorming.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:17 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,462,904 times
I think the middle age guys who go to these protests just wanna hook up with some young hippie chicks who believe in free love

Old 10-11-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
I think the middle age guys who go to these protests just wanna hook up with some young hippie chicks who believe in free love

At Freedom Plaza. (Just keeping it on topic)

Old 10-11-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
My experience in being involved in peace and social justice groups are that the people are highly dedicated and actually act on the call to love each other.
I have one friend in bad health who still gets involved, the last time he was being arrested he suffered a heart attack, others I know have spent much time in prison some in federal prison in solitary confinment.
So you talked to everyone at Freedom Plaza to know this to be true? Didn't think so. If you're a serious protestor then my guess is you hang with those as serious as you leaving about 90 % of the people to have fun.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:24 PM

18,717 posts, read 30,954,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
Well, Virginia is for Lovers, you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies