Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 04:03 PM

414 posts, read 907,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Well, Virginia is for Lovers, you know.
If Virginia is for lovers, then why are they going to Freedom Plaza, or anywhere else outside of VA, for said love? Hmmmm.. LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Are they doing that in DC or just NYC? Ironically, what's most likely to come out of a move like that is convincing rich people to move out to Virginia. I'm not quite sure that's what the protestors have in mind, but it's ok by me. If rich people want to move out to the burbs, we'll happily take their tax dollars.
Well, that might be good, but I think one of, if not THE major point behind the protests to begin with is to have said rich people paying their fair share (IE MORE) taxes, that they can obviously afford, instead of paying the same as, or less than those who are working 3 jobs and struggling just to make ends meet.

Moderator Cut

FWIW, I was just down town last night attending a National Weather Service class, and had to go through McPhearson Sq. on my way in and out. I saw all types of people. Many in their 20s, but many in their 40s/50s and some older folks too. I saw disabled people, people in suits, college kid types, professionals, families with kids, some hippie types too...etc. I know when I have attended actions and protests Im certainly not doing it because I think its "cool" I'm doing it because I truly believe in the cause I am protesting for. Almost everyone I come in contact with at these events feel the same.

I think those trying to paint this whole movement into a narrow demographic are the same more narrow minded people who would have us all believe that all liberals are dirty, jobless hippies looking for a hand out and will convert you to communism and enslave you in the blink of an eye. IE, those who listen to and believe the glen becks of the world.

Last edited by FindingZen; 10-13-2011 at 08:22 AM.. Reason: consult your preferred search engine; that is not an appropriate term for this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 07:07 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I don't have a problem with protesting Wall Street or the Federal Reserve. But to protest at the homes of millionaires I fail to see the reason. I am by no means rich and I doubt I ever will be rich. But most of the folks went out and earned their money proving capitalism in America works. Some of the protesters are morons on the highest degree.
Often desperate people do desperate things the less desperate think are moronic. As Mao said, revoution is not a dinner party.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:21 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,456,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Often desperate people do desperate things the less desperate think are moronic. As Mao said, revoution is not a dinner party.
And, not everyone would agree that the people the protesters are targeting made their money by simply being good at capitalism nor "providing it works." Many would point out that these targets engaged in or profited from bad behavior that has harmed others, and that culprits have not been held accountable, and that sufficient safeguards to prevent future problems have NOT yet been implemented. Even Adam Smith anticipated this could happen and suggested ways of controlling the system.

But I may be getting off-topic here. I didn't go to Freedom Plaza. From the sound of the WaPo writeup, there weren't many people there.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:32 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
But I may be getting off-topic here. I didn't go to Freedom Plaza. From the sound of the WaPo writeup, there weren't many people there.
I wouldn't expect them to target this area as much as New York. The people here were just the functionaries of their handlers who live elsewhere. I think it more likely the mobs with pitchforks and burning torches would be headed for the weatlthy suburbs of Gotham.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:58 PM

49 posts, read 77,765 times
I fit in better with the 53% crowd.

We Are The 53%

Old 10-12-2011, 09:20 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,684,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrmike View Post

We Are The 53%
!

Old 10-13-2011, 12:39 AM

596 posts, read 730,225 times
Quote:

We Are The 53%
Interesting site. I don't have strong feelings one way or the other about the OWS/Freedom Plaza protesters. But one thing I found strange about the "We are the 53%" site is how many of them made comments like "we worked hard and didn't ask anyone for anything," "the government doesn't owe me anything," and the ever so lovely "stop whining!" I don't see why people should be considered whiners just because they view things differently than you do. Or are they automatically whiners simply because they're out there protesting and attracting attention? If that's the case, are all protesters whiners, regardless of cause?

Also, have these people been asking for handouts of some kind? Perhaps I missed that part, but I was under the impression that they were protesting to draw attention to an unbalanced federal tax code, various problems within the financial industry, massive corporations, etc. So who exactly is asking for a hand out? I'm not being facetious, I'm just trying to figure out where the 53% people are getting this from and wondering if I missed something (which is certainly possible).

What I see is a bunch of people who want to be heard. Of course there will always be people who jump on any bandwagon because they think it's the cool thing to do for the moment, but I don't think that was the impetus for this. Agree with their views and politics or not, I would think that most human beings should be able to relate to feeling, at some point in their lives, like they just want to be heard. And they have just as much right to peaceful assembly as anyone else.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:48 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,091,039 times
Quote:

We Are The 53%
Irony is that this group has taken its inspiration from the "Sorry Everybody" web site that started after Bush was re-elected where various Americans photographed themselves holding up signs to the world. Ah, technology.

It definitely seems like there are more sirens and occasional street closings in DC lately than normal. We're not Athens or Paris yet, but we seem to be working on it. So, whether you're coming into DC from NoVa for Freedom Plaza or any other reason, don't be surprised if there are a few unexpected delays.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:48 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,029,568 times
There is a Starbucks across from Freedom Plaza, as well as a Potbelly, and other businesses of course.

I feel for these businesses, as they are surely where these people are flooding into to use the restrooms.
...Well, if they are not using flags or police cars.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:52 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,867,259 times
To clear things up there are 2 separate groups of protesters, the Freedom Plaza is the stop the machine org. which was formed last spring before the occupy wall street group and it's off shoots started up like the one at at McPherson Square.
the stop the machine or as it is officially known as the October 2011.org movement scheduled its occupation to begin on the anniversary of the Afgan War if soldiers were not out of that war.
Both groups do communicate and share in some protests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies