U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-23-2015, 06:40 PM
 
285 posts, read 142,285 times
Reputation: 263

Advertisements

According to the 2015 Cato Human Freedom Index that assesses economic, civil and personal freedom, the United States is the 20th most free country in the world. It is outranked by several nations that Americans consider to be more "socialist".

Incorporating a greater share of socialism into the U.S. system will not bring about communism. However, Americans have been indoctrinated with that belief for decades. Culturally, Americans are conditioned to mindlessly defend crony capitalism.

The sad part is, people don't even realize it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-23-2015, 06:46 PM
 
23,860 posts, read 11,864,057 times
Reputation: 10069
Crony capitalism is better than the equal sharing of socialist misery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2015, 07:58 PM
 
285 posts, read 142,285 times
Reputation: 263
Those damn "socialists" sure are unhappy!

World Happiness Report (SDSN, a Global Initiative for the United Nations 2015):

1. Switzerland

2. Iceland

3. Denmark

4. Norway

5. Canada


...

15. United States
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2015, 06:44 AM
 
Location: Long Island, NY
19,715 posts, read 11,532,424 times
Reputation: 5606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool Krab View Post
According to the 2015 Cato Human Freedom Index that assesses economic, civil and personal freedom, the United States is the 20th most free country in the world. It is outranked by several nations that Americans consider to be more "socialist".

Incorporating a greater share of socialism into the U.S. system will not bring about communism. However, Americans have been indoctrinated with that belief for decades. Culturally, Americans are conditioned to mindlessly defend crony capitalism.

The sad part is, people don't even realize it.
...and that's from CATO, which is a conservative-leaning think tank.

History has shown that the masses of people do not do well under claw and tooth capitalism -- it's just dandy for the sliver at the top but not for those who must toil. We'd do well as a nation if we embraced a little more socialism, such as universal single-payer health care, mandatory sick and vacation time and more generous time off for mothers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2015, 07:34 AM
 
Location: Plymouth Meeting, PA.
3,987 posts, read 2,042,642 times
Reputation: 1897
Let's rephrase the question. Has a nanny state ever been successful anywhere in the long term? Examples?
Is it it beneficial to let the government do everything for you because it thinks your too stupid to take care of yourself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2015, 07:43 AM
 
Location: Long Island, NY
19,715 posts, read 11,532,424 times
Reputation: 5606
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
Let's rephrase the question. Has a nanny state ever been successful anywhere in the long term? Examples?
Is it it beneficial to let the government do everything for you because it thinks your too stupid to take care of yourself?
In other words, the OP's question, "has socialism ever been successful" hasn't achieved the desired conclusion that socialism is never successful, so a thumb must be pressed on the scale with an even more leading question.

To answer the new question, one must define "nanny state." Is having regulations that protect worker safety, hours before subject to overtime, and grievance rights the nanny state? Is having a social safety net, that keeps people from starving to death if they happen to lose their job or develop a disability that prevents them from working, the nanny state?

What we do know, is that many European nations that provide a far more comprehensive social safety net are very successful and have happier people than the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2015, 07:50 AM
 
4,588 posts, read 2,912,647 times
Reputation: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool Krab View Post
Those damn "socialists" sure are unhappy!

World Happiness Report (SDSN, a Global Initiative for the United Nations 2015):

1. Switzerland

2. Iceland

3. Denmark

4. Norway

5. Canada


...

15. United States
so you're saying it has been successful. just in places that don't allow diversity. the key to having it work appears to be making sure everyone looks the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2015, 07:53 AM
 
Location: DC
6,510 posts, read 6,434,844 times
Reputation: 3112
Canada just accepted a lot of Syrians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2015, 08:01 AM
 
Location: Long Island, NY
19,715 posts, read 11,532,424 times
Reputation: 5606
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
so you're saying it has been successful. just in places that don't allow diversity. the key to having it work appears to be making sure everyone looks the same.
You are remembering a world 50 years ago. There are many immigrants living in those countries. Sweden is not longer entirely blond and blue-eyed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2015, 11:54 AM
 
Location: Plymouth Meeting, PA.
3,987 posts, read 2,042,642 times
Reputation: 1897
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
In other words, the OP's question, "has socialism ever been successful" hasn't achieved the desired conclusion that socialism is never successful, so a thumb must be pressed on the scale with an even more leading question.

To answer the new question, one must define "nanny state." Is having regulations that protect worker safety, hours before subject to overtime, and grievance rights the nanny state? Is having a social safety net, that keeps people from starving to death if they happen to lose their job or develop a disability that prevents them from working, the nanny state?

What we do know, is that many European nations that provide a far more comprehensive social safety net are very successful and have happier people than the U.S.

Doyou feel that only the government knows best when it comes to fixing problem's? To we really need more government in our lives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top