Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 06:17 PM

545 posts, read 400,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Just because someone posted a video doesnt make it a credible source of information.
Thats what my point is.
Interesting that the usual suspects came in here and dogpiled up, making a whole lot of noise, but, as usual, not saying anything significant.
that may be true for written reports, they can be really easy to manipulate and distort...but video along with audio is kinda hard to argue with...

and the usual suspects here are doing their normal deflecting and spin...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 06:28 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,980,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGold View Post
that may be true for written reports, they can be really easy to manipulate and distort...but video along with audio is kinda hard to argue with...

and the usual suspects here are doing their normal deflecting and spin...
As far as the video, I suspect that its satirical in nature, and you sure are right about the usual suspects!

Old 10-11-2011, 06:38 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,939,027 times
That's the human megaphone. They aren't mindlessly parroting his words, they're repeating it so that people far away can hear what he's saying, since amplification has been banned. That's Slavoj Zizek, by the way.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
That's the human megaphone. They aren't mindlessly parroting his words, they're repeating it so that people far away can hear what he's saying, since amplification has been banned. That's Slavoj Zizek, by the way.
so why do people far away need to hear what he is saying?...so that they can finally hear the "message" and "purpose" for them being there?...no one in any Tea Party had to resort to something like that....but I can see and understand him making a "speech"....but it seems more like they needed to surround this guy, to repeat his words so that people "far way" can get his "message"...otherwise, how will they now whats going on if no one tells them?

Last edited by EricGold; 10-11-2011 at 07:10 PM..

Old 10-11-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
so why do people far away need to hear what he is saying?...so that they can finally hear the "message" and "purpose" for them being there?...no one in any Tea Party had to resort to something like that..
Because he's a famous activist and scholar who a lot of people are interested in listening to? Naomi Klein went down and they needed the human megaphone for her too. Lots of non-famous people spoke and required the human megaphone as well. The Tea Party speakers had microphones or other forms of voice amplification. This isn't about receiving marching orders, it's about hearing the opinions of those who come to talk.

11,466 posts, read 19,344,365 times
I think they want to have sex with animals, I've heard that was coming next from the left, I guess they were right. Baaaaaaaaah the sheep have spoken.

23,416 posts, read 36,980,794 times
Quote:
so why do people far away need to hear what he is saying?...so that they can finally hear the "message" and "purpose" for them being there?...no one in any Tea Party had to resort to something like that..
Here, let me highlight the salient points in dunks post that you must have missed.

Quote:
Now, what does the Tea Party have to do with the human megaphone?
Oh, thats right, nothing.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Here, let me highlight the salient points in dunks post that you must have missed.

Now, what does the Tea Party have to do with the human megaphone?
Oh, thats right, nothing.
but I can see and understand him making a "speech"....but it seems more like they needed to surround this guy, to repeat his words so that people "far way" can get his "message"...otherwise, how will they now whats going on if no one tells them? ...

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 10-11-2011 at 08:27 PM.. Reason: Discuss topic, not poster

Old 10-11-2011, 07:16 PM

Quote:
but I can see and understand him making a "speech"....but it seems more like they needed to surround this guy, to repeat his words so that people "far way" can get his "message"...otherwise, how will they now whats going on if no one tells them? ...
What don't you understand? A famous person came to address the occupiers. A lot of people wanted to hear him speak, but he can't use a megaphone or a microphone, so they repeated his words so that everyone could hear him. This is something that is being done at virtually every occupy _____ movement. I've seen it and participated in it myself. It's kind of annoying and ridiculous, but what can you do? It's not about receiving marching orders as you wish to claim, it's literally about being audible.

Also, here is the comment about "sex with animals" in fuller context, since you apparently have no interest in what he is actually saying.

Quote:
What do we perceive today as possible? Just follow the media. On the one hand, in technology and sexuality, everything seems to be possible. You can travel to the moon, you can become immortal by biogenetics, you can have sex with animals or whatever, but look at the field of society and economy. There, almost everything is considered impossible. You want to raise taxes by little bit for the rich. They tell you it’s impossible. We lose competitivity. You want more money for health care, they tell you, "Impossible, this means totalitarian state." There’s something wrong in the world, where you are promised to be immortal but cannot spend a little bit more for healthcare. Maybe we need to set our priorities straight here. We don’t want higher standard of living. We want a better standard of living. The only sense in which we are Communists is that we care for the commons. The commons of nature. The commons of privatized by intellectual property. The commons of biogenetics. For this, and only for this, we should fight.
I get it. You don't like occupy Wall Street, and you want to discredit it. That's cool, but don't resort to outright distortions and slimy insinuations to do so. It seems lazy.

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 10-11-2011 at 08:28 PM.. Reason: Edited quote to reflect current version

Old 10-11-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Because he's a famous activist and scholar who a lot of people are interested in listening to? Naomi Klein went down and they needed the human megaphone for her too. Lots of non-famous people spoke and required the human megaphone as well. The Tea Party speakers had microphones or other forms of voice amplification. This isn't about receiving marching orders, it's about hearing the opinions of those who come to talk.

Ok, I can understand that....if someone told me to repeat the words "you can have sex with animals", no way would I hesitant or second guess that...I would just say it because it so important people "far away" to hear it...

be honest with yourself...if you were asked to repeat "sex with animals"...wouldn't something in your head cause you to pause for a moment?...sounds mindless to me

with a microphone you are in total control of what you say....to use a human microphone, you have to control what others say...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies