Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2011, 02:25 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,897,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
Hmmmmm....

The Tumbler page account is at 85 for the 99 Percenters vs. 10 pages for the 53 Percenters.

This tells me that the Tea Party people have less to complain about because they love to be wage slaves.

Here's the thing: LIFE is more than making money and working three jobs to get by. I know conservatives love to work and they love to participate in the market economy. They feel that earning money is empowering and gives them a sense of meaning in life. Making more money than the neighbor, friend or old classmate is a status goal. Gotta pay your dues now so you could get rewarded in the end.

The problem is that conservative Americans are getting f#kked over just the same as the OWS/99 Percent people. They are getting screwed over with lousy health care and a lousy educational system. They are getting laid off during lean times or because of company mergers. The bills are mounting up like crazy and the debts are a chain on the neck. Bad fortune happens to people whether they are Republican or Democrat; Conservative or Liberal; Fascist or Anarchist.

The OWS folks pinned the blame on the richest and most powerful individuals. The most wealthiest Americans make the rules of the game of which we ALL play. The wealthiest Americans control the Congress and The White House. Instead, the Tea Party types blame the victims of layoffs, the disabled, the persons of color, the working poor; basically the most defenseless segments of society. This is plain madness.

If money ceased to exist.

If the market economy ceased to exist where there were no more owners and laborers.

If the land had no monetary value.

If there was no government where one can salute the national flag, sing patriotic songs and wreak violent destruction on foreign lands.

The "53 Percent" people would become lost souls.

They do not understand the beauty of art, music or nature. The status symbol comes crashing down because you no longer have money; you are no longer superior to me or to others. When everyone has no monetary value, trust begins to build between people. All you have is the Earth for food and shelter and not much else. It doesn't get more equal than that.

Until then...

I am a slave to your market economy. I am a slave to an undemocratic government that starves its people at home and commits violence abroad. My worth as a human being is tied to my salary and my bank account according to the rules promulgated by the wealthy elite and enforced by the Tea Party/53 Percent foot soldiers.

To hell with the United States government.

To hell with your insane money hustling system.

Ok.
I'm not a conservative, but I believe in going to work. I don't agree with our system, BUT, it is our system.

There are people who want things in life: Healthcare, vacations, the upgrade to an even bigger TV, nice clothes, good food, etc. But I have so much more respect for people who ARE working 2-3 jobs so they can provide themselves with how they want their lives to turn out.

It costs money to travel.
It costs money to eat.
It costs money to have shelter. No, a lot of people don't want to live in a hippie commune.. sharing a studio apartment with 5 other unwashed people. People want to own their OWN home so they can live, prosper, and provide for themselves. What is wrong with people wanting to take care of themselves??

Our system is basic.
The more money you earn, the better quality of life you have. If you don't participate, you really can't complain about "not having stuff". It can be easy as understanding "wants" vs "needs". It can easy as earning a wage, and living within your means. Do this, you can save money. You can also work to get promoted OR just gain experience and find a better paying job.

Why is this so hard for people to accept?

I hate my job for the work I do and the pay I get. But I go, I pay bills, and I'm still applying to different jobs so I can change the quality of my life. Why can't they?

These are the same people who go to college and only expect to work in the field of their choice. Sorry if Wal-Mart is hiring and they are only paying $8 an hour.. but the reality is $8 an hour is better than $0. In fact, $8 an hour would make me even more motivated to keep looking hard so I could spend as little time their as possible. What's wrong with sacrificing now, to gain better later?

I just don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 02:29 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,429,059 times
Default Question about this 53%

Does that only include people who actually write out a check to the IRS or does it also include people who get a refund because they paid too much?

(people who get refunds pay income taxes. They're just getting back what they overpaid)

Old 10-13-2011, 02:40 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,749,261 times
Net liability.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:42 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
Does that only include people who actually write out a check to the IRS or does it also include people who get a refund because they paid too much?

(people who get refunds pay income taxes. They're just getting back what they overpaid)
I used to believe what you just said till my tax preparer told me what that unearned tax refund really was. Too much of that 47% gets that and they haven't earned it.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I used to believe what you just said till my tax preparer told me what that unearned tax refund really was. Too much of that 47% gets that and they haven't earned it.
If your tax lawyer told you the refund is unearned then he doesn't know what the hell he's talking about and you need to get a different tax lawyer. The refund isn't free money. That's money that you paid in and you're only getting back the amount you overpaid

Old 10-13-2011, 02:48 PM

I used to do my own taxes. The EZ form, I'm know tax lawyer even though it seems I know more then some of them

First you figured out what your tax liability was
then you figured out how much you already paid via your paycheck

If the first was more then the second you owed money
If the first was less than the second you got money back

Old 10-13-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Net liability.
Is that a yes or a no?

Old 10-13-2011, 02:55 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,239,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
If your tax lawyer told you the refund is unearned then he doesn't know what the hell he's talking about and you need to get a different tax lawyer. The refund isn't free money. That's money that you paid in and you're only getting back the amount you overpaid
No, the post was correct. It is possible to get back MORE than you paid in taxes--in effect, using the tax system as an income source, but this is only available to people with children:

"In certain cases, though, you can get a child tax credit refund when the credit exceeds your tax liability. This means that you would get a check for the remaining tax credit after your tax bill has been reduced to zero. This refundable child tax credit is called the Additional Child Tax Credit...If you have one or more qualifying children and more than $3,000 of earned income (income from wages and other job-related compensation) in 2010, you may be entitled to a refund of up to 15 percent of your earned income (including tax-free combat pay) that exceeds $3,000." Federal Child Tax Credit

I remember this provision was put in the tax code because government wanted some incentive for low-income people to WORK, instead of just collecting government benefits. The tax code is in this case subsidizing the low pay that these parents generally earn, to offset the fact that working is MUCH harder than staying home and collecting government assistance.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:55 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,919,735 times
yes.

Old 10-13-2011, 03:01 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times
Here's all anyone needs to know about the so called "53%"...

Quote:
OK, now the conservative media flacks have launched something they call the “ We Are the 53 Percent” movement. I’ve seen better movements, usually after a high-fiber breakfast. “We Are the 53 Percent” is meant to counter the “We Are the 99 Percent” movement, but it doesn’t add up. Literally. What are they saying here? “We’ll see your 99 percent, and raise it to 53 percent!”

“ We Are The 99 Percent” is a website where people who have been victimized by banks and corporations can tell their stories. “We Are The 53 Percent” is a place where people who have been recruited by banks and corporations can tell their stories. And by “their stories,” I mean the stories of the banks and corporations. The “53 percent” part comes from the lie that 47 percent of Americans don’t pay any taxes. The actual percentage of Americans that don’t pay any taxes is more like 1 percent… the richest 1 percent that the 99 percenters are talking about.
Randi Rhodes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies