U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-14-2011, 09:58 AM
 
3,502 posts, read 1,819,888 times
Reputation: 646

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You're conflating federal income tax with local property tax. Very different taxing bodies.

.
Is one tax any less relevant than another tax? If someone in the 47% pays $8,000 in property taxes, are they a mooch on society?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-14-2011, 10:00 AM
 
66,447 posts, read 30,309,848 times
Reputation: 8662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
Is one tax any less relevant than another tax? If someone in the 47% pays $8,000 in property taxes, are they a mooch on society?
It DOES make a difference. Property tax is much more equitable, as everyone who resides within a taxing body pays. Federal income tax should be the same way, but isn't. Only 49% of income earners pay any federal income tax. That means 51% are freeloading at others' expense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2011, 10:15 AM
 
3,502 posts, read 1,819,888 times
Reputation: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It DOES make a difference. Property tax is much more equitable, as everyone who resides within a taxing body pays. Federal income tax should be the same way, but isn't. Only 49% of income earners pay any federal income tax. That means 51% are freeloading at others' expense.
So someone who pays $8,000 in property taxes is a freeloader, if they fall in the 47% group?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2011, 10:19 AM
 
66,447 posts, read 30,309,848 times
Reputation: 8662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
So someone who pays $8,000 in property taxes is a freeloader, if they fall in the 47% group?
51% of income earners pay no federal income tax. And yes, they are freeloaders getting freebie federal protection, benefits, and services at others' expense.

They are, however, paying their fair share for local protection, benefits, and services such as municipal services, police, fire protection, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2011, 10:30 AM
 
Location: Austin
29,546 posts, read 16,478,541 times
Reputation: 8087
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
If you ever listened to Randi Rhodes, you would be aware of the fact that she insists upon her listeners fact checking her and she provides reliable sources of information and facts, but since you are just repeating what you are told and bashing anyone that does not toe the right wing spin machine line, I wouldn't expect any more than this weak and sad rebuttal from your post.
No, that's not true and you don't know who I listen to. I read your link. She lies in that link. That's enough for me.

NOBODY says that 47% of the population pays NO taxes. NOBODY (well, maybe except Randi) is debating that issue. But the Federal Government says 47% pay no FIT. That's good enough for me.

So she lies on the link you provided.



Quote:
The cult behavior is apparent in the right within the Tea Party by the yutzes that took an oath to a lobbyist that actually had ties to Jack Abramoff, to never ever raise taxes on the rich. Get your accusations straight.
Last time I checked, this thread was about "we are the 53%", not the Tea Party. They are not the same or even close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2011, 10:35 AM
 
3,502 posts, read 1,819,888 times
Reputation: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
51% of income earners pay no federal income tax. And yes, they are freeloaders getting freebie federal protection, benefits, and services at others' expense.

They are, however, paying their fair share for local protection, benefits, and services such as municipal services, police, fire protection, etc.
so it's possible that someone who pays $8,000 in property taxes is a freeloader, yet someone who pays $7,000 in federal income taxes is not? I guess to me it doesn't really matter what type of taxes. Taxes are taxes, doesn't matter if it's local or federal. If the government is taking taxes out of your paycheck, what different does it make whether it's local, state, or federal? I fail to see how paying federal income taxes is somehow more a contribution than paying local or federal taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2011, 10:47 AM
 
66,447 posts, read 30,309,848 times
Reputation: 8662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
so it's possible that someone who pays $8,000 in property taxes is a freeloader, yet someone who pays $7,000 in federal income taxes is not?
Assuming the latter also pays property tax directly or indirectly via rent, as everyone does, yes.
Quote:
I guess to me it doesn't really matter what type of taxes. Taxes are taxes, doesn't matter if it's local or federal.
Indeed, it DOES matter. Local and federal governments provide different protections, services, and benefits, which is why your town's mayor ISN'T the President of the U.S.
Quote:
If the government is taking taxes out of your paycheck, what different does it make whether it's local, state, or federal? I fail to see how paying federal income taxes is somehow more a contribution than paying local or federal taxes.
Property taxes are not deducted from your paycheck. And how is it that you do not understand the difference between local and federal? I'm having a hard time understanding how you can be so uninformed as to the differences between the local and federal governments and how they appropriate their respective tax revenues.

Last edited by CaseyB; 10-14-2011 at 11:52 AM.. Reason: off topic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2011, 11:02 AM
 
3,502 posts, read 1,819,888 times
Reputation: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Assuming the latter also pays property tax directly or indirectly via rent, as everyone does, yes.
Indeed, it DOES matter. Local and federal governments provide different protections, services, and benefits, which is why your town's mayor ISN'T the President of the U.S.
Property taxes are not deducted from your paycheck. And how is it that you do not understand the difference between local and federal? Are you very young? I'm having a hard time understanding how you can be so uninformed as to the differences between the local and federal governments and how they appropriate their respective tax revenues.
Your having a difficult time because I never implied nor stated that I don't understand the difference between local and federal governments. What I stated was that I don't understand how one form of taxes is considered a bigger contribution than an other form of taxes. If 25% of your paycheck goes to the government, in the form of federal income taxes, and 25% of my paycheck goes to the government, in the form of property taxes, sales taxes, etc.. how are you a bigger contributor than I am. How does that make me a freeloader and not you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2011, 11:07 AM
 
Location: Austin
29,546 posts, read 16,478,541 times
Reputation: 8087
Quote:
Originally Posted by handog View Post
What these dummys holding up boastful signs don't understand is the system they support is screwing them over too. Nearly 3000 families lose their homes every single day in the US. Check out Daily Job Cuts.com

To claim you are above or immune to this global melt down because you work hard or you have a degree is laughable. Here's my sign-

Pride and arrogance precedes a great fall.

I think you missed the point entirely. It's not that we think we are above or immune to the global melt down. In fact, it scares the crap out of me. The 53% are all subject to things like that.

The point is we are trying to provide for ourselves and not be dependent on government handouts. We are trying to save for our own retirement. We are living within our means. "Trying" is the key word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2011, 11:10 AM
 
66,447 posts, read 30,309,848 times
Reputation: 8662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
Your having a difficult time because I never implied nor stated that I don't understand the difference between local and federal governments. What I stated was that I don't understand how one form of taxes is considered a bigger contribution than an other form of taxes.
Not necessarily bigger, but definitely different. Property tax payers pay for local protections, benefits, and services. Virtually all residents pay local property tax directly or indirectly via rent payments. THAT is an equitable tax.

The 51% of earners who pay no federal income tax receive federal protections, benefits, and services at others' expense. They're freeloading the federal protections, benefits, and services that the other 49% are paying for.
Quote:
If 25% of your paycheck goes to the government, in the form of federal income taxes, and 25% of my paycheck goes to the government, in the form of property taxes, sales taxes, etc.. how are you a bigger contributor than I am. How does that make me a freeloader and not you?
Local and federal governments tax separately and provide DIFFERENT protections, benefits, and services. HOW do you not know this? Serious question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top