U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2011, 04:12 PM

12,870 posts, read 13,138,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I realize we're going with the thread title, but according to the U.S. Congress, only 49% of income earners pay any Federal Income Tax. http://finance.senate.gov/newsroom/r...1-ffc00b5c00ef
and i never got a thank you from anyone.

i guess the government's way of thanking me is spending it on stuff i don't agree with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 04:14 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,310,897 times
I don't think free loading has any to do with how much taxes you pay. You pay what the government says you have to pay. If you don't make enough, should you insist on paying something if you don't have to?

A free loader, in my opinion is someone getting services from the government that shouldn't, food stamps, housing assistance, utility assistance, child care assistance, disability(and faking it), free lunch program etc.. Meanwhile they have plenty of cigarettes, their nails done every week, every new gadget you can think of, c'mon, ya know what I mean. A free loader is out to "take" from everyone else. That is not necessarily someone that just doesn't make enough to pay income taxes.

Old 10-14-2011, 04:17 PM

66,447 posts, read 30,309,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
I don't think free loading has any to do with how much taxes you pay.
In fact, it does. We ALL receive federal government services and benefits. All earners should pay Federal Income Tax, even if it's just a little. The flat tax works well, here... earn very little; pay very little. Earn A LOT; pay A LOT.

Old 10-14-2011, 04:46 PM

15,400 posts, read 19,565,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Um... where does that graphic show the freeloading 51% actually PAYING for what they get, for a change?
Feel free to post your economic facts/data from the Government!

Old 10-15-2011, 12:56 AM

6,791 posts, read 7,109,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
I don't think free loading has any to do with how much taxes you pay. You pay what the government says you have to pay. If you don't make enough, should you insist on paying something if you don't have to?

A free loader, in my opinion is someone getting services from the government that shouldn't, food stamps, housing assistance, utility assistance, child care assistance, disability(and faking it), free lunch program etc.. Meanwhile they have plenty of cigarettes, their nails done every week, every new gadget you can think of, c'mon, ya know what I mean. A free loader is out to "take" from everyone else. That is not necessarily someone that just doesn't make enough to pay income taxes.
They aren't freeloaders, they are hard working Americans who pay lots of taxes, and a large percentage put their ENTIRE earnings into the economy, not a dime left over for savings, all their income goes into the economy that allows the "53%" to earn enough to have to pay more taxes, and enjoy a very nice lifestyle. Those "freeloaders" are buying what you sell, they help pay your salary. I'm so sick of these constant insults being thrown at people who don't earn enough money for whatever reason to pay FIT, as though they aren't working just as hard as you trying to support their families.

All these bitter, angry people should have no trouble finding a lower paying job so they don't have to pay FIT anymore. I bet a lot of people in that 43% would be thrilled to trade salaries with you, and be happy to pay that tax. I'd like to see these whiners try to live a month on as low a salary as many of these people earn.

I'm all for tax reform, but I'm so sick of hardworking Americans having to hear all this arrogant, self righteous, insulting BS about being freeloaders and thieves. It's disgusting!

Last edited by detshen; 10-15-2011 at 02:19 AM..

Old 10-15-2011, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Feel free to post your economic facts/data from the Government!
Sure! Here you go:
Quote:
"In summary, for tax year 2009, approximately 22 percent of all tax units, including filers and non filers, will have zero income tax liability, approximately 30% will receive a refundable credit, and approximately 49% will have a positive income tax liability."
http://finance.senate.gov/newsroom/r...1-ffc00b5c00ef

Only 49% of income earners pay federal income tax. The other 51% leech off of them.

Old 10-15-2011, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
They aren't freeloaders, they are hard working Americans who pay lots of taxes
Stop right there! 51% of income earners pay NO federal income tax. They are freeloading off of the 49% who DO pay federal income tax.

Old 10-15-2011, 04:47 AM

12,870 posts, read 13,138,491 times
i think we do need to stop attacking each other over if we are each paying the government enough. we are taxed on everything, from gasoline to licenses to our houses to income to goods that we buy, etc.

it's like we ALL become agents of the government demanding more-from somebody.

the truth is that the government has grown too big, spends too much money, and is getting unstable. the other sad truth is that i don't know anyone who wants to pay more when the money that the government gets is so badly mismanaged.

the first order of business should be to concentrate on american interests, bringing our troops home, ending foreign aid, controlling immigration and our boundaries, and eliminating the fraud that is deep within the system-then you can talk about taking in more money. (throw in ending the international federal reserve for my dream list)

otherwise, taking in more money will just result in more waste and abuse, and a greater foreign trade deficit.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:07 AM

19,717 posts, read 11,560,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
and i never got a thank you from anyone.

i guess the government's way of thanking me is spending it on stuff i don't agree with.
We'll, if money couldn't be spent on anything without unanimous agreement, nothing would be spent at all. Seniors, who have no children, wouldn't want to spend money on schools; carless taxpayers won't want road spending, etc. The notion that we're a society that must meet many diverse needs escapes many.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
They aren't freeloaders, they are hard working Americans who pay lots of taxes, and a large percentage put their ENTIRE earnings into the economy, not a dime left over...!
That's right. These people don't pay INCOME taxes because they make little income. They do pay other taxes.

Moreover, what's the argument for taxing the working poor more? Conservatives are against taxing the rich more because they make the <fallacious> argument that it discourages work. Well, if one taxes people who are hand to mouth now, what does that do to their work ethic?

Moreover, it can't be about raising revenue because taxing the wealthy just to the level before Bush raises more revenue than taxing the working poor -- and it does it by inflicted less pain.

The entire issue is disingenuous.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i think we do need to stop attacking each other over if we are each paying the government enough. we are taxed on everything, from gasoline to licenses to our houses to income to goods that we buy, etc.

it's like we ALL become agents of the government demanding more-from somebody.
No. I want a SMALLER federal government and LOWER taxes, with every earner paying the same federal income tax rate - earn very little, pay very little; earn A LOT; pay A LOT... but EVERY earner contributes via federal income tax. The 51% who pay no federal income tax are TOTALLY exploiting the system for their own personal gain. And then whining that they aren't getting enough. It's sickening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies