Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2011, 07:58 AM

88,804 posts, read 44,610,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
These people don't pay INCOME taxes because they make little income. They do pay other taxes.
As does everyone else, so I'm not buying that lame excuse for freeloading by paying no federal income tax.

Flat tax. Earn very little; pay very little. Earn A LOT; pay A LOT. That's the only modified fair way to do it. Completely fair would be a head tax with everyone paying the same amount - everyone sharing the cost equally. Would you rather a head tax? That's the epitome of paying your fair share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 08:26 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,329,907 times
I pay my bills and have no debt.
I did not buy into the "consumer agenda" that the one with the most toys wins.
So I feel no sympathy for people that got themselves in over their heads with debt.
No one forced them; it was their own choice.

I couldn't afford a 4 year prestigious school so I did 2 years at the CC and 2 years at the local university. I didn't want to start out life with near triple digit debt..what kind of start is that ?

See..today it's all about your FICO score and how much DEBT you can carry in the name of "good credit".
Credit is nothing more than DEBT and debt is a 4 letter word.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:30 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,405,802 times
Define fair. What percentage of your income is fair?

Quote:
Definition of FAIR

: in a manner that is honest or impartial or that conforms to rules : in a fair manner <play fair>
Fair - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Old 10-15-2011, 08:42 AM

88,804 posts, read 44,610,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
The same tax rate applied to everyone's income is modified fair.

Completely fair is a head tax. Everyone pays the same amount and the cost is equally shared. The fact that libs won't go for a head tax PROVES that "fair" is not their intention at all. They're just whining and demanding more freebies.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:47 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,394,994 times
Default There are things we could all agree on...

A tax code that contains special breaks for owners of NASCAR tracks and the importers of rum is corrupt on its face.

A tax code that requires YOU to subsidize my purchase of a second home in a sunny place is a farce.

A tax code so complex that a genius like the Treasury Secretary cannot complete his personal returns without tens of thousands of dollars in underpayment is not an objective set of laws, it is a crapshoot.

A lot of commentators have issues with Herman Cain, but he absolutely, positively has the correct first step:

JUNK THE TAX CODE AND START OVER.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:30 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,404,380 times
Quote:

Fair - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
"Fair" is highly subjective. No two people have the same definition. It is like "justice," and can be made to mean anything you want it to mean. "Fair" is used in politics when someone wants to sound good, but be as ambiguous as possible.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:32 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,405,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
"Fair" is highly subjective. No two people have the same definition. It is like "justice," and can be made to mean anything you want it to mean. "Fair" is used in politics when someone wants to sound good, but be as ambiguous as possible.
The whole point of the question is that someone who is trying to define it will have to make the definition elastic to be able to do so...

Well for these people this is fair... but for these people that is fair...

Old 10-15-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
The whole point of the question is that someone who is trying to define it will have to make the definition elastic to be able to do so...

If I pay my bills and live beneath my means so I can have some savings then is it fair to compare me with someone who makes the same salary but lives above their means with lots of debt ?

We make the same salary. I save while they spend. What is fair in that scenario ? They live paycheck to paycheck while I have a cash cushion for the future. Is it fair to tax me more because I saved and have money now ?

Old 10-15-2011, 09:37 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,404,380 times
Quote:

Nobody can define what is or is not "fair" for another. They can only define what they consider to be "fair" for themselves.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Nobody can define what is or is not "fair" for another. They can only define what they consider to be "fair" for themselves.
And that is all well and good until they get themselves into trouble.
And when more fall into the same category then it becomes "unfair".

Over $1 trillion in unpaid student loan debt and these graduates can't find jobs and have loan payments coming up. Now it's "unfair" ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies