Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 05:38 PM

242 posts, read 235,595 times

Advertisements

hail the 53%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 05:39 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,446,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
And no defecating on our forum, please!
Too late.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:06 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,866,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Any and all federal government protections, services, and benefits in the proportion that is funded all or in part by federal income tax revenue.
Could you be a bit more specific?

Are you saying that YOU paid for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and they didn't? And that makes you MAD, because you want them to pay for those wars, too? Because those wars benefited all Americans, how?

Old 10-18-2011, 08:38 AM

88,994 posts, read 44,793,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Could you be a bit more specific?
I can only be as specific as the U.S. Government. Get a more detailed breakdown from them.

In the meantime, how much of their revenue is collected from the federal individual income tax? 45% according to the federal government. THAT's the percentage of protections, benefits, and services the 51% of earners who pay NO federal income tax are freeloading.

What are the federal government's sources of revenue?

The individual income tax has been the largest single source of federal revenue since 1950.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
I can only be as specific as the U.S. Government. Get a more detailed breakdown from them.

In the meantime, how much of their revenue is collected from the federal individual income tax? 45% according to the federal government. THAT's the percentage of protections, benefits, and services the 51% of earners who pay NO federal income tax are freeloading.

What are the federal government's sources of revenue?

The individual income tax has been the largest single source of federal revenue since 1950.
YOU are the one complaining about freeloaders. It's not up to me to do your research for you. YOU are complaining. I'm asking you to explain yourself. And you are dodging the question.

Which services that the government provides do YOU think it's unfair to provide to people who are lower income or who have large families?

There has to be something specific that you have a problem with. What services do you begrudge the other citizens of this country?

Old 10-18-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
YOU are the one complaining about freeloaders. It's not up to me to do your research for you.
I already KNOW they're freeloading 45% of the protections, benefits, and services the federal government provides. I even posted a link for you.
Quote:
There has to be something specific that you have a problem with. What services do you begrudge the other citizens of this country?
For the 51% who pay NO federal income tax, I begrudge any and all federal protections, benefits, and services for which they are NOT paying their fair share.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:21 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,969,909 times
Quote:
Hyperbolic BS. They'll just have to manage their money better.

Pulling one's weight is an ethical responsibility.
Yet the so-called poor aren't expected to pull their own weight?

Old 10-18-2011, 09:23 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,969,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by handog View Post
Pay their fair share? Have you heard of payroll taxes? Social security, sales, gasoline taxes....the poor have a very heavy tax burden. Should they be taxed to death?

The rich on the other hand have tax lawyers who help them to minimize their tax liability.
The rich pay those ss, sales, gasoline taxes, also.

The rich have those tax lawyers to minimize the huge percentage of taxes they pay, as opposed to the poor, that either pay zero or get money back.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Yet the so-called poor aren't expected to pull their own weight?
51% of this country's income earners DO NOT pull their own weight.

Flat tax. Everyone pays, proportionately. Earn very little; pay very little. Earn A LOT; pay A LOT. It's completely unethical to argue against everyone paying their fair share.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
I already KNOW they're freeloading 45% of the protections, benefits, and services the federal government provides. I even posted a link for you. For the 51% who pay NO federal income tax, I begrudge any and all federal protections, benefits, and services for which they are NOT paying their fair share.
Your link showed expenditures based on the total government budget. Not expenditures based on federal income tax alone.

But I do appreciate that you state outright that you don't think the poor should be protected by the army. You do realize that the soldiers that fight for you quite often hail from families that are in that much-maligned 51%. So you want them to fight for you, but not for their families, friends, neighbors. You do realize that you are arguing that poverty should deprive people of representation in government, because an appalling amount of the money paid into federal income tax is used to pay for Congress, its support staff, the studies, hearings, and investigations, the travel, the costs of record-keeping and so on. What you are really arguing for is stripping citizenship from people because they are poor or because they have large families? So you are an advocate of population control, you just don't want to pass laws forbidding people to have large families, instead, strip them of their rights!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies