U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-12-2011, 08:30 AM
 
75 posts, read 45,830 times
Reputation: 27

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I don't consider payroll tax to be in the same category as income tax.

Payroll tax in many ways, especially for lower income folks is actually more of an investment payment, for future specific long term benefits (medical insurance and payments in old age).

I've always thought lumping payroll tax with income tax was just a way for advocates to "muddy the water" concerning the tax fairness issues.
If it's a forced payment then it's a tax, I think. Besides, not everyone lives to be old enough to get back the money they pay in to the Social Security system. You could call income taxes an "investment payment" for benefits as well (millitary defense, infrastructure, etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-12-2011, 08:34 AM
 
12,439 posts, read 10,315,099 times
Reputation: 3137
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I'm picturing a giant pitcher filled with an oversweetened, fruity children's drink... This pitcher walks and talks, and as it comes crashing through a wall of bricks made from foam, it's proclaiming, "Oh yeah!"
Maybe you should turn off the T.V.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2011, 08:36 AM
 
12,439 posts, read 10,315,099 times
Reputation: 3137
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Not confused; however, I am laughing at you and your brethren as you squirm while working to rectify how to "properly spin" the facts presented and resuscitate your dead pet talking point.

Carry on.
They can't spin it. Talk radio has not prepared them for the actual facts. Maybe they will address the issue tomorrow on Glenn Beck, Limbaugh or Levine and then they will get back to you when they have been told how to respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2011, 08:37 AM
 
66,565 posts, read 30,370,727 times
Reputation: 8688
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Not confused.
Most certainly, you are confused. What about the facts presented do you not understand? The US Congress Joint Committee on Taxation says 51% of eligible earners pay no federal income tax.
http://finance.senate.gov/newsroom/r...1-ffc00b5c00ef

Why are you having trouble comprehending that?
Quote:
however, I am laughing at you and your brethren as you squirm while working to rectify how to "properly spin" the facts presented and resuscitate your dead pet talking point.
We're spinning nothing. We've stated the facts. Read the Congressional link I posted, above.

You're clearly very confused. How can we fix that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2011, 08:40 AM
 
Location: Charlotte
12,646 posts, read 13,922,853 times
Reputation: 1679
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post

You're clearly very confused. How can we fix that?
You're clearly not paying attention. We cannot help you with that as it's governed by free will.
Perhaps prayer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2011, 08:45 AM
 
66,565 posts, read 30,370,727 times
Reputation: 8688
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
You're clearly not paying attention.
I am paying attention. Look at the thread title to find the obvious error in fact and logic.

Ask for more help if you still don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2011, 09:02 AM
 
Location: Tyler, TX
15,202 posts, read 18,268,594 times
Reputation: 8032
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Blah, blah, blah.

No, I don't.
"Blah, blah, blah." Brilliant response. I'm in complete and utter awe of your command of the language and your ability to make your point in such an eloquent way, walidm. My hat is off to you, sir.

So you're saying that when Obama says the following:
Quote:
Under my plan, no family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase. Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes.
What he really means is "income tax" only, but when someone who isn't Obama says that 47% of people don't pay income tax, they really mean any tax?

Your super-genius intelligence (proven by your response above) must afford you some special comprehension ability that my non-super-genius brain just doesn't have, because to me, it looks like Obama was very clear when he made a promise to not raise ANY federal taxes on anyone making under a quarter mil, and then he broke that promise - in spectacular fashion - in his first thirty days in office, and those using the 47% figure are almost - not quite, but almost - as clear about what they're referring to.

Maybe the next time you start a thread, you might want to be better prepared to deal with the responses you get in a more appropriate manner. Blowing off people who have legitimate points with crap like "blah blah blah" makes you look like a complete fool. Or is it a complete tool? I get the two confused. Anyway, you've demonstrated that you can't support your position without resorting to name calling or dismissing your opposition without acknowledging their points. I'd say you lost this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2011, 09:02 AM
 
Location: Land of debt and Corruption
7,526 posts, read 7,219,414 times
Reputation: 2845
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I am paying attention. Look at the thread title to find the obvious error in fact and logic.

Ask for more help if you still don't get it.
*Sigh* I'm almost embarrassed for walidm's choice to remain ignorant of facts. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

BTW, this is such an obvious attempt at trolling by the OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2011, 09:14 AM
 
Location: Charlotte
12,646 posts, read 13,922,853 times
Reputation: 1679
Thumbs down lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
*Sigh* I'm almost embarrassed for walidm's choice to remain ignorant of facts. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.
Typical thinking of the less than creative, name calling, rote response crowd.

I'm not embarrassed for you, I'm entertained.

Two words - Salt Block.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2011, 09:15 AM
 
Location: 15 months till retirement and I can leave the hell hole of New Yakistan
25,351 posts, read 14,063,234 times
Reputation: 6520
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
What percentage of Americans pays no federal taxes?



Note from the CBO:


Source
Source
Source (http://1.usa.gov/q7to6X - broken link)

Interesting. 10%
That's a big difference.
let's look at your source...

the actual cbo CHART

Effective Federal Tax Rates for All Households, by Comprehensive Household Income Quintile, 1979-2006

Year.....Lowest Quintile.......Second Quintile.......Middle Quintile
2004 .....-6.2......................... -0.9..................... 3.0
2005..... -6.6......................... -0.9..................... 3.0
2006..... -6.6......................... -0.8..................... 3.0


so even by your charts the lowest and second lowest pay NOTHING in effective tax rates FOR ALL FEDERAL tax revenue

and the middle pay only 3%


.
.
.
.

AND THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top