U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 01:40 PM

52,003 posts, read 41,835,728 times

Advertisements

This hits REALLY close to home because I have a 14yo that I've already started talking to about college. He will have a significant amount of money in his name by that time and I've already started explaining about school costs, ways to go cheaper via the military, scholarship, utilzing jr. colleges and so on and so forth or attending prviate schools and possibly accruing debt.

ANYBODY can go to college if they are reasonably smart and hard working. You might have to wait tables and do the first 2 years at jr. college or utilize the GI bill and so forth but it can be done. 2 of my buddies got through school on pell grants, student loans, working jobs etc....coming from broken homes on welfare. Having enough money to splurge on pizza some nights was a big deal for them.

One of them designs computer chips now and the other is a teacher in Japan.

Lastly, wall wallstreet was culpable in the financial mess.....there was also human greed in people buying wayyyy too much house on speculation and then walking away when upside down. Back during the collapse they had news articles on one guy in CA with 10 houses he was flipping (speculator) and another gal that had used growing equity to continuously refi so that she could drive a BMW and pay off then rack up more credit card debt. She went bankrupt when she could no longer refi...owing 350k on a house she'd originally bought for 175k.

There is plenty of blame to go around just no one wants to give any to actual voters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 01:41 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,174,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
College education has become ridiculously expensive in the US, no wonder people want to change that... Education has become a luxury one can hardly live without anymore, though. That's a problem.
Then they have to protest colleges and universities over jacking up their tuition rates.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:42 PM

1,491 posts, read 2,684,615 times
Quote:
College education has become ridiculously expensive in the US, no wonder people want to change that... Education has become a luxury one can hardly live without anymore, though. That's a problem.

(A couple of days ago I read that Germany's short tuition (which was ridiculously low compared to the US anyway, more of a symbolic nature) experiment is about to end after just a few years, colleges and universities will be free again, paid by all Germans and companies via taxes. I suppose that is what that guy in the video might have in mind.)
What exactly is so expensive? You get what you can afford, thats how it always has been and always will be.

If you can afford filet mignon, you get filet mignon. If you can only afford chicken, well then so be it, but you surely arent entitled to filet mignon.

Go to the college you can afford. You can spend $5,000 a year or you can spend $40,000+. No one is forcing you to the $40,000+ one a year.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:49 PM

Location: 15 months till retirement and I can leave the hell hole of New Yakistan
25,351 posts, read 14,059,178 times
Quote:
College education has become ridiculously expensive in the US,
oh please

the yearly tuition is less than 5k at the local community college.....one quarter the cost per student at the k-12 public taxpayer schools

Old 10-12-2011, 01:55 PM

21,448 posts, read 19,328,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
What exactly is so expensive? You get what you can afford, thats how it always has been and always will be.

If you can afford filet mignon, you get filet mignon. If you can only afford chicken, well then so be it, but you surely arent entitled to filet mignon.

Go to the college you can afford. You can spend $5,000 a year or you can spend $40,000+. No one is forcing you to the $40,000+ one a year.
But in my view education should not be treated like luxury cars or food, everyone should have access to the same quality education because education is like health, everyone deserves the best regardless of the size of their wallet.

If you graduate from a crap college, your chances of getting a good job afterwards will be lower as well.

How about a system where tuition is the same for everyone during the first year, and the marks achieved during the freshman year will determine the height of tuition for the second year: the better the marks, the lower the tuition This might motivate people to study hard...

Old 10-12-2011, 02:01 PM

20,310 posts, read 19,470,947 times
Quote:
But in my view education should not be treated like luxury cars or food, everyone should have access to the same quality education because education is like health, everyone deserves the best regardless of the size of their wallet.

If you graduate from a crap college, your chances of getting a good job afterwards will be lower as well.
The question begs.
I paid for my own sins education. Why should I be forcced to help pay for anyone elses? They certainly didnt lend a hand in my expenses.
More to the point why should someone with no children be expected to shoulder a measure of the burden?
I would say those who are the best and brightest get state paid tuition. Chances are the state will get a good return. The expectation of course is that these bright grads give at least 4 years service back to the state.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:04 PM

52,003 posts, read 41,835,728 times
Quote:

(A couple of days ago I read that Germany's short tuition (which was ridiculously low compared to the US anyway, more of a symbolic nature) experiment is about to end after just a few years, colleges and universities will be free again, paid by all Germans and companies via taxes. I suppose that is what that guy in the video might have in mind.)
The guy in the video wouldn't be smart enough to qualify.

Education in Germany - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I really don't see how in practice the US system is grossly different. The top students get greatly reduced or free tuition....the masses have to pay full price but many of them wouldn't have been able to attend college in Germany and would have been routed vocational.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:04 PM

11,992 posts, read 17,507,951 times
Quote:

How about a system where tuition is the same for everyone during the first year, and the marks achieved during the freshman year will determine the height of tuition for the second year: the better the marks, the lower the tuition This might motivate people to study hard...
Some interesting thoughts for another thread.

The point is this dope in the video already went to college and knew full well the cost that would be facing him.

Instead of looking for work, he is hanging out with a bunch of malcontents.

Would you like him? He could become of the "Alternativas" that hang out in every German city, begging for change.

I guess "kostenlos Uni" did not help them.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:05 PM

43,564 posts, read 52,710,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Wow! Look at all these Countries that provide free college education.

Some of these countries have the highest IQ in the World.

But they aren't as smart as your right wing, Southern, rural, white folks.

You know it all.

That's why Mississippi and Alabama and West Virginia, and Oklahoma are such power house States.

Free education - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Most of those countries don't allow most people to go to college.
This jackhole wouldn't have even made it in.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:07 PM

21,448 posts, read 19,328,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
The question begs.
I paid for my own sins education. Why should I be forcced to help pay for anyone elses? They certainly didnt lend a hand in my expenses.
More to the point why should someone with no children be expected to shoulder a measure of the burden?
I would say those who are the best and brightest get state paid tuition. Chances are the state will get a good return. The expectation of course is that these bright grads give at least 4 years service back to the state.
Such a system only works in the long term, generation after generation. So, if you pay someone else's tuition today, they will later on get a good job and in turn pay your kid's tuition, and so on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies