Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 02:57 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,070,521 times

Advertisements

Come on folks- give the clueless uninformed idiot a break. He just wants you to pay for his tuition at a liberal arts school to get brainwashed for 4 years. It's not like he's asking for tax payers to make payments on a Porsche 911 GTR3 for him. [or does he want that also]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 02:59 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Germans like to think they have a very egalitarian system. Quite the contrary, it is actually very Class Static. Amost as bad as the UK.
Yeah, most people that qualify won't recognize the problem because they didn't have the door slam in their face.

My sibling would have been borderline to get into a system like they have in Germany. However, they are a beast of a hard worker and went on to get a masters in a difficult field at Washington University in St. Louis....not too shabby.

They did every bit as well as I and then some and I was one of the top 1/2%'ers upon graduating highschool.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:00 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Quote:
Germans like to think they have a very egalitarian system. Quite the contrary, it is actually very Class Static. Amost as bad as the UK.
In other words, you are talking about social mobility, right? Then read this:

Social Immobility: Climbing The Economic Ladder Is Harder In The U.S. Than In Most European Countries

OECD: UK has worse social mobility record than other developed countries | Business | guardian.co.uk

http://www.economist.com/node/15908469

Old 10-12-2011, 03:03 PM

376 posts, read 295,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Wow! Look at all these Countries that provide free college education.

Some of these countries have the highest IQ in the World.

But they aren't as smart as your right wing, Southern, rural, white folks.

You know it all.

That's why Mississippi and Alabama and West Virginia, and Oklahoma are such power house States.

If you make a college education free, you make it worthless. Case in point, all the jokers who make the most of their free high school educations. (not). The fact that we pay to go to college weeds out the freeloader, nonhackers that couldn't get a worthwile (marketable) degree anyway. Rule of thummb: If a degree isn't difficult to get, it won't be marketable because anyone can get one.

A college education is just another product we purchase. An intelligent consuner looks for value (and any discounts that are available) and if the product lacks value, i.e. marketability, they don't buy it. Furthermore they understand how they will finance their purchase (loans, grants, scholarships, working) and don't overpay or buy more than they can afford.

I've got no sympathy for people whose poor decisions put them in a financial ditch. Welcome to the real world.

BTW what North Eastern pissant armpit of a state are you from? (just so us Southerners can hate you back.)

Old 10-12-2011, 03:07 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,811,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Sure, it is based on another mindset, one where society as a whole is considered important, which I like.
Sometimes when I see children playing I am happy to think that with my tax money I contribute to their future. Giving is better than taking or keeping
That's a false premise. We pay taxes to fund public education. That's young kids we'er talking about.
Why should anyone else pay for your college education? You're an adult and should be responsible for your decisions.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:21 PM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,304,786 times
To the majority of the World, the NYC "protestors" are the 1%.

99.8% of Americans have access to imporved sanitation facilites (toilets), 99% have access to safe drinking water, 99% own a TV, 91% have a cell phone, 89% of US households have an automobile, 64% of those elegible voted in the last presidential election, 60% pay for cable tv services, and approx 120 Americans died of starvation in 2004 (according to the World Heath Org).

Yeah, they really have a lot to bi-shh about.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:25 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Neuling,

You come on here every day and criticize America. On the rare occassion that somebody offers some modest criticism of Germany, you go beserk. Do you really think that is an honest position to take?

Seems you can dish it out in abundance, but cannot take it.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
That's a false premise. We pay taxes to fund public education. That's young kids we'er talking about.
Why should anyone else pay for your college education? You're an adult and should be responsible for your decisions.
Because we are all connected. No man is an island. Nobody can live happily when society goes down the drain.

When I am educated and get a job thanks to the "free" education I received as a kid and adult thanks to the contributions of others, I pay into social security and thus finance all kinds of people, e.g. children, the unemployed, the sick, the old... And I in turn am helped when I need it.
I don't mind paying for adults, either, as long as I feel my money is used in a good way. And that is definitely the case with college education. There are some subjects where I am not so sure like for instance some exotic, extinct languages. But there are so few people studying those subjects that it doesn't really matter. One of the few subjects which I am not happy sponsoring with my contributions are MBA programs as those people by and large are more destructive than productive.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Neuling,

You come on here every day and criticize America. On the rare occassion that somebody offers some modest criticism of Germany, you go beserk. Do you really think that is an honest position to take?

Seems you can dish it out in abundance, but cannot take it.
Where was I going berserk? We are just having a discussion as far as I can see.

Is it my fault there is so little about the US to applaud currently? There are Americans here that are more critical of the US than I am...

Old 10-12-2011, 03:33 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,811,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Because we are all connected. No man is an island. Nobody can live happily when society goes down the drain.

When I am educated and get a job thanks to the "free" education I received as a kid and adult thanks to the contributions of others, I pay into social security and thus finance all kinds of people, e.g. children, the unemployed, the sick, the old... And I in turn am helped when I need it.
I don't mind paying for adults, either, as long as I feel my money is used in a good way. And that is definitely the case with college education. There are some subjects where I am not so sure like for instance some exotic, extinct languages. But there are so few people studying those subjects that it doesn't really matter. One of the few subjects which I am not happy sponsoring with my contributions are MBA programs as those people by and large are more destructive than productive.
There are plenty of jobs you don't need a college degree to qualify for.
If you think you need a college degree find a way to pay for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies