Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 03:17 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,890,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
I guess if you don't want to go to Gay Skating Night, you don't have to. That isn't for you, fine. But I know my son would benefit from something like this. He found the courage to come from his gay teacher and the GSA at his high school. He needed that support group before he could take the next step.

If you don't need that, good for you, seriously. I'm glad you are totally well-adjusted. But don't begrudge others that enjoy that sense of community.
Thank you
When I was younger..like 18 when I came out.. yeah I went to the clubs and eventually bars. Did the whole "gay scene". After a while, I just felt (or realized) that it was just.. silly. What am I getting by constanly surrounding myself with people who just have all the same sexual orientation? This is just pointless to me. I'd rather find an interest, and surround myself with those people. If it's around people who like to cook, play video games, skii, travel, etc.. it should be about the quality and interests in people.. not who they are attracted too sexually and emotionally. It's really the ONLY thing that ALL gay pepple have in common. Other than that, we all have interests and opinions...and these come in various colors, genders, religions, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
by the way, Hotmess, I do agree with 95% of your other (political) posts. In many ways, I'm a conservative. So I hope I don't come off as mean to you.
No no, not at all.

Old 10-13-2011, 03:36 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,022,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
How am I harboring great anger? Because I'm gay and I don't care about "GAY" stuff? I get this from a lot of people. I get invitations for "GAY SKATING NIGHT AT ____" "GAY BINGO AT _____" "GAY DAY AT SIX FLAGS!"
David Sedaris has a chapter in one of his books about how much he hates rainbows
& just who designated the rainbow as a gay symbol??

Old 10-13-2011, 04:22 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,305,558 times
All Kids need good role models period and it should start with thier parents.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:37 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,460,030 times
This figure sums up why gay kids need role models(my own parents disowned me for a few years).

Twenty to forty percent of homeless youth identify as LGBT; while five to ten percent of the general population has the courage to do so. One quarter of homeless gay youth were told to get out of the house.

Obviously many parents are not doing a good job of raising their children, let alone serving as good role models.

Lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender youth: An epidemic of homelessness | National Gay and Lesbian Task Force

Gay and Transgender Youth Homelessness by the Numbers

On the Streets: The Federal Response to Gay and Transgender Homeless Youth

The Ali Forney Center. Housing for Homeless LGBT Youth

Who is Advocating for Homeless LGBT Youth? | Change.org News

Cornwall Authority Abuse of Gay Youth! - YouTube

Larkin Street Stories: The Homeless LGBT Experience (Episode 1) - YouTube

Make It Better: Support LGBTQ Homeless Youth in NYC - YouTube

Old 10-13-2011, 06:17 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,312,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
This figure sums up why gay kids need role models(my own parents disowned me for a few years).

Twenty to forty percent of homeless youth identify as LGBT; while five to ten percent of the general population has the courage to do so. One quarter of homeless gay youth were told to get out of the house.

Obviously many parents are not doing a good job of raising their children, let alone serving as good role models.

Lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender youth: An epidemic of homelessness | National Gay and Lesbian Task Force

Gay and Transgender Youth Homelessness by the Numbers

On the Streets: The Federal Response to Gay and Transgender Homeless Youth

The Ali Forney Center. Housing for Homeless LGBT Youth

Who is Advocating for Homeless LGBT Youth? | Change.org News

Cornwall Authority Abuse of Gay Youth! - YouTube

Larkin Street Stories: The Homeless LGBT Experience (Episode 1) - YouTube

Make It Better: Support LGBTQ Homeless Youth in NYC - YouTube
What about heterosexual homeless youths?

Old 10-13-2011, 11:02 PM

268 posts, read 390,905 times
Gay youth need serious counseling and real men around them as roll models.

Think about it, is there anything more repugnant than another mans anus? It's a dirty, disgusting life style and should be discouraged by our public figures.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:34 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,110,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
I can't wait for the day a current, popular NFL player (or group of players) comes out.

That will be the end of his career for any player that does that. The NFL ain't the WNBA, were 80% of that league looks like lesbians.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:46 AM

8,274 posts, read 12,821,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashbrowns View Post
And young alcoholics need more public alcoholics to feel better about themselves, too.

This is a lame comparison, but in fact as people who have addiction problems spoke out it encouraged many others to seek help. The Betty Ford center came about because Ms.Ford was so vocal about her issues. This in turn had many seek help. So yes it can be a very good thing that people with issues speak out....

How many women with breast cancer spoke out suggesting others get check ups? How many women were helped?

The list is long for those speaking out and raising awareness. This is a good thing and can go a long way to help others feel they aren't alone.

It is great that gay men/women are well adjusted and all but without some statement to others many may not see the hope these people offer. While the times are very different in that there are more resources still there are deep feelings of "aloneness" for many gay youths. When others around show their hatred for anything gay it only adds to their separation. The OP is correct it is important to stand up. Do some gay people wear their sexuality like bad perfume... indeed but those that shun the limelight don't show the world there are many that are your lawyers, your dentists, your firemen, or real estate broker and so forth. It is important to reveal yourself for you truly don't know the positive impact you will have on others, the hope you will provide.

Standing up lets people know you pose no threat to their marriage, or their rights. Being able to inherit, or have hospital visitation, or insurance and so on in no way causes harm to a traditional married couple.

So many go their life without the same benefits yet they pay their taxes, they vote... and they sit silent as those around make ignorant statements supporting their hate.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:19 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,890,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
This is a lame comparison, but in fact as people who have addiction problems spoke out it encouraged many others to seek help. The Betty Ford center came about because Ms.Ford was so vocal about her issues. This in turn had many seek help. So yes it can be a very good thing that people with issues speak out....

How many women with breast cancer spoke out suggesting others get check ups? How many women were helped?

The list is long for those speaking out and raising awareness. This is a good thing and can go a long way to help others feel they aren't alone.

It is great that gay men/women are well adjusted and all but without some statement to others many may not see the hope these people offer. While the times are very different in that there are more resources still there are deep feelings of "aloneness" for many gay youths. When others around show their hatred for anything gay it only adds to their separation. The OP is correct it is important to stand up. Do some gay people wear their sexuality like bad perfume... indeed but those that shun the limelight don't show the world there are many that are your lawyers, your dentists, your firemen, or real estate broker and so forth. It is important to reveal yourself for you truly don't know the positive impact you will have on others, the hope you will provide.

Standing up lets people know you pose no threat to their marriage, or their rights. Being able to inherit, or have hospital visitation, or insurance and so on in no way causes harm to a traditional married couple.

So many go their life without the same benefits yet they pay their taxes, they vote... and they sit silent as those around make ignorant statements supporting their hate.

I agree with everything except ONE word.

Quote:
Do some gay people wear their sexuality like bad perfume... indeed
I won't say it's MOST, however, I will say it's A LOT. During my few years in the "SCENE"... I can say for both men and women, their sexuality was a big definition of who they were.

lol this is also why I never made many gay friends.. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies