Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 12:49 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Yes. Well, mummy and dadsy would, anyway, since I'd venture MOST students who pay "out of pocket" without loans (not all, of course, especially those doing two years at CC) are having parents foot the bill.

oh please

I attended my CC.fulltime,.. while working fulltime. ....and paying for my apartment..all on my own
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 12:49 PM

3,457 posts, read 3,622,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
why???

why should the government pay for YOU
The government should pay for everyone, not just me. I know I'm important, but that'd just be silly.

Quote:
why should the government pay for something ABOVE BASIC..a 4yr degree is well above basic...certainly above any blue-collar requirements
I think a 4 year degree is a very basic education.

Quote:
why should your EDUCATION NOT BE YOUR OWN RESPONSIBILITY...why should anyone be forced to pay for you
For the same reasons we don't make 4th graders pay tuition: because education is a public good.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:50 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Student Loan interest is tax deductible
Student Loan Interest Tax Deduction

These kids aren't hurting because of the interest they have to pay...

WTF good is a tax deduction for someone earning $15K?????

Old 10-13-2011, 12:50 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
Quote:
why???

why should the government pay for YOU

why should the government pay for something ABOVE BASIC..a 4yr degree is well above basic...certainly above any blue-collar requirements

WHY? Why do we pay for what you consider "basic" (Elementary through high school?)

Why? Because we have made a value judgment that the entire country benefits when people are educated. Less crime, less ignorance, less poverty. A better educated work force that can meet the challenges of an ever-changing economy, so that we don't have to import people from other lands. Businesses benefit because they have an effective workforce. The economy benefits. Society benefits.

Honestly, why is the "big picture" so hard to see? Just because "the government" is involved does not mean it's bad!

Old 10-13-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
WTF good is a tax deduction for someone earning $15K?????
arent you the one who states that a 15k person pays 500 in taxes...there is the deduction...

gee college was a waste on you wasnt it

Old 10-13-2011, 12:52 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,514,798 times
Quote:
oh please

I attended my CC.fulltime,.. while working fulltime. ....and paying for my apartment..all on my own
We get it, you're just perfect and better than everyone else.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:53 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
Quote:
oh please

Good for you. You attended your government subsidized community college (offering lower tuition than larger institutions), and took what is generally considered (in the academic world) less rigorous curriculum while working full time.

Community College is not for everyone. Also, not every student can work full time and still succeed academically. Some of us can. Most probably cannot.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
WHY? Why do we pay for what you consider "basic" (Elementary through high school?)

Why? Because we have made a value judgment that the entire country benefits when people are educated. Less crime, less ignorance, less poverty. A better educated work force that can meet the challenges of an ever-changing economy, so that we don't have to import people from other lands. Businesses benefit because they have an effective workforce. The economy benefits. Society benefits.

Honestly, why is the "big picture" so hard to see? Just because "the government" is involved does not mean it's bad!
so you dont think people should pay their own way???

so you dont think people should learn a work ethic???

so you think that we should just HAND people an education, then watch as they do the very same things that you say giving them this eductaion will elimainte...

got it

sorry I have enough SELF PRIDE....I dont want nor need handouts...I work for everything I get and earn

Old 10-13-2011, 12:56 PM

3,457 posts, read 3,622,568 times
Quote:
so you think that we should just HAND people an education
yes. Crazy, i know.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Good for you. You attended your government subsidized community college (offering lower tuition than larger institutions), and took what is generally considered (in the academic world) less rigorous curriculum while working full time.

Community College is not for everyone. Also, not every student can work full time and still succeed academically. Some of us can. Most probably cannot.
actually it was a great start

got my double bachelor, then my masters(did them during evening classes)..while working fulltime
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies