Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 08:12 AM

8,145 posts, read 6,512,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenDullesMJ12 View Post
Basically you felt a pinch after reading my truth and all you could come up to counteract it was that weak comment? If you have something to say don't beat around the bush, and come up front.
Your the one who needs to buck up and come out and tell the truth of how you feel. Don't tell us we already know. Tell the people around you so they know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 09:59 AM

72,842 posts, read 62,249,253 times
Like I said before, ganging up on people for no reason other than being "weaker" or for being "different" is nothing new and it isn't ONLY Black people who do this. Yes, the persons in that video were Black. Yes, there are Black people doing such disgusting things. That being said, how come it's called "The New America" when Blacks do this stuff? To say this is "The New America" is quite a stretch. This stuff has been going on for ages. It has happened to me. I think of my own childhood, particularly ages 11-17. I remember how I got ganged up on. One of the first times it happened was when a few of the neighborhood kids tried to put me in a storm drain(just after accosting me while I was riding my bicycle). Once I was on crutches and two boys kicked the crutches from under me, making me fall. One time I was down at a creek alone trying to get some peace and quiet. Two kids threw rocks at me. This ganging up on people is nothing new. And the perps who did the aformentioned stuff to me were all White. I was also told that in the 50's and 60's, if you were Black and you crossed the viaduct to the South side of Milwaukee, you could get beat up by White gangs.

All of this mentioned, this is nothing new. This has been going on for ages, so to say this is "The New America" is not making sense.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:35 AM

1,147 posts, read 907,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Like I said before, ganging up on people for no reason other than being "weaker" or for being "different" is nothing new and it isn't ONLY Black people who do this. Yes, the persons in that video were Black. Yes, there are Black people doing such disgusting things. That being said, how come it's called "The New America" when Blacks do this stuff? To say this is "The New America" is quite a stretch. This stuff has been going on for ages. It has happened to me. I think of my own childhood, particularly ages 11-17. I remember how I got ganged up on. One of the first times it happened was when a few of the neighborhood kids tried to put me in a storm drain(just after accosting me while I was riding my bicycle). Once I was on crutches and two boys kicked the crutches from under me, making me fall. One time I was down at a creek alone trying to get some peace and quiet. Two kids threw rocks at me. This ganging up on people is nothing new. And the perps who did the aformentioned stuff to me were all White. I was also told that in the 50's and 60's, if you were Black and you crossed the viaduct to the South side of Milwaukee, you could get beat up by White gangs.

All of this mentioned, this is nothing new. This has been going on for ages, so to say this is "The New America" is not making sense.
I think what's new about it is it was done at a strip mall, with plenty of folks able to see it. Then it was recorded, to be boasted about later.

Sorry about your childhood. My friends and I used to gang up on the bullies, and antagonize them for sport. If we saw someone kick your crutches out from under you, oh yeah, there would've been a fight. If we saw a group trying to put you in a storm drain, they would've ended up there instead. Maybe that's also the new America? Nobody seems to stand up for anyone else anymore.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:37 AM

810 posts, read 833,807 times
Why is it called the new America?

1) Instead of kids attacking other kids, its "kids" attacking defenseless and disabled women in public areas.

2) Before people would have denounced the behavior and want it to be known to others. Now they find ways to suppress or diminish the event through complaints and using the race card.

3) These sort of violent attacks were rarely recorded back then. The "poor, oppressed youth" of today use their latest iPhone gadget to film the incident, transfer it to their Sony laptop, upload it to sites through their broadband internet connection, and then twitter/facebook it to hundreds of their "friends" on social networks.

4) In the past it was acceptable to fight back against bullies who attacked you first. Now if you fight back the system will protect the "civil liberties" of the aggressor and make you the criminal.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Why is it called the new America?

1) Instead of kids attacking other kids, its "kids" attacking defenseless and disabled women in public areas.

2) Before people would have denounced the behavior and want it to be known to others. Now they find ways to suppress or diminish the event through complaints and using the race card.

3) These sort of violent attacks were rarely recorded back then. The "poor, oppressed youth" of today use their latest iPhone gadget to film the incident, transfer it to their Sony laptop, upload it to sites through their broadband internet connection, and then twitter/facebook it to hundreds of their "friends" on social networks.

4) In the past it was acceptable to fight back against bullies who attacked you first. Now if you fight back the system will protect the "civil liberties" of the aggressor and make you the criminal.

Actually, hate crimes against the disabled have been going on: Hate Crimes Against People With Disabilities: Women With Disabilities Australia (WWDA)

Hate crimes against the disabled and hate crimes against women have been going on longer that what you see on the video. This is just the first time it appeared on video(that I know of).

There have been people who have spoken out. There have been others who have said nothing.

The third is the only difference I really see.

When I was in school, if I fought back I could get in trouble. Part of why I kept getting bullied in school. My father always said "someone hits you, you hit them back". His advice came from living in the ghetto. When he found out that this kind of advice wasn't feasible where we lived, he still said "someone hits you, you hit them back", but he also said "but pick your battles". It is also important for me to note that in my middle school, there was a gym teacher who would pick on and make fun of a kid who was autistic. He did this in front of other students.

I am not saying this stuff doesn't need to stop, because it does. That behavior described in the video is repugnant and those thugs need to be imprisoned for this stuff. My father would have beaten me for doing something like that. That said, the only thing new is that this behavior is being put on the internet for all to see. If youtube, vimeo and other stuff existed 30 years ago, would this behavior not be on the internet?

Old 10-18-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Had2SaySumthin View Post
I think what's new about it is it was done at a strip mall, with plenty of folks able to see it. Then it was recorded, to be boasted about later.

Sorry about your childhood. My friends and I used to gang up on the bullies, and antagonize them for sport. If we saw someone kick your crutches out from under you, oh yeah, there would've been a fight. If we saw a group trying to put you in a storm drain, they would've ended up there instead. Maybe that's also the new America? Nobody seems to stand up for anyone else anymore.
You might have gotten those guys who tried to put me in a storm drain or kick my crutches from underneath me. The guys who kicked my crutches from underneath me, I turned them into the principal's office. Because there was no one to speak against them(other than my father), they were let go with no punishment. There will be those who stand up for other, and then there are those who don't. My principal didn't stand up for me. The teacher didn't see it and no student would speak up. There were kids who did stand up to those who tried to come after me.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:13 PM
JL

8,514 posts, read 14,481,539 times
Nothing surprising or new about this. There are always punks around in all races. At least in this day and age, there are more video cameras around as witnesses. Hopefully, these punks get caught and castrated.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Nothing surprising or new about this. There are always punks around in all races. At least in this day and age, there are more video cameras around as witnesses. Hopefully, these punks get caught and castrated.
I guess is shouldn't surprise me that this footage got on video. Alot of violent things end up on youtube, and some people post it for fun. Those fools got joy out of being stupid and being cruel.

Old 11-05-2011, 02:34 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,914,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
I blame the economy.
Really?? I know many people that are struggling with the economy, but they aren't going out to beat on the disabled. You don't find any fault in the lack of parenting or the lack of discipline in our schools? You don't find any fault in the youths themselves who committed this crime?

Old 11-05-2011, 04:53 AM

37,757 posts, read 40,852,602 times
Quote:
Laughing like jackals, a group of "disadvantaged young men" use their new iPhone to film an attack on a mentally disabled woman. They spit at her, punch her in the face and knock her to the ground. Is this what the country has become? The overtolerance for disgraceful and violent behavior has made it "hip" to be vicious lowlifes.

To anyone coming to the defense of these criminals, how would you feel if they did this to you or your relatives at their most defenseless state?
Too bad she wasn't armed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies