U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 09:29 AM

55,480 posts, read 74,374,114 times

Advertisements

take back our government. take away their credit cards, stop offshoring, defend our borders.
make the streets safe again so people can use public transport.
start punishing crime stop warehousing offenders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 09:29 AM

11,322 posts, read 5,923,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
In other words you will not take part and would rather support the economy of other nations. FYI if you do not understand that buying products made here helps those making those products here then your arguement is not logical. Anyway I expected to see plenty of more posts by those without ideas but plenty of whine, thanks for not disappointing me.
No, what they are saying is that you cant spend your way to financial health. I HATE that the government pushes consumers to spend, wants to "stimulate" spending...and all that nonsense. Individuals need to SAVE money so they can be individually financially secure for when there are hard economic times.

Additionally, only buying American does not do anyone any favors. I try to do what I can to buy American made products, but ONLY if they are better and/or equal in quality as to what I can get for the same price from products made elsewhere. For the most part I avoid products made in China at all costs from a health and social responsibility perspective. But to buy an American product just because it is American made hurts everyone in the long run if it is an inferior product.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:31 AM

41,314 posts, read 39,491,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
IMHO American business is not hiring so the economic recovery will be delayed long enough to get a Republican pig elected in 2012.
Why should they hire? Obama and his minions have attacked business from the beginning and are now escalating their rhetoric into class war.

Why should business hire when they have no idea what their tax burden will be? No idea what new disastrous regulations the radical leftists will think of next.

So...you're saying business is intentionally not hiring in order to kill the economy and get rid of obama?

Old 10-13-2011, 09:32 AM

3,458 posts, read 3,102,040 times
My theories are part austrian and part neo-keynesian.

The Austrian side of me says we should reform the tax code to reduce distortion and malinvestment. That means:
a. Corporate incomes, wages and capital gains should be taxed at the same rate.
b. Existing deductions and credits should be minimized, if not eliminated.
c. No more business write-offs and special exemptions to hide or reduce taxable income.
d. All of this will broaden the base to enable a lower marginal tax rate.

The Neo-Keynesian side of me says we have to increase aggregate demand. The fairest way to do that is to reform the Federal Reserve. I think we should:
a. End fractional reserve banking. Banks must lend out deposits, or their own earned cash, they get no more funding from the fed.
b. Execute controlled increases in the monetary supply by printing money and giving it directly to all taxpayers, either in the form of a national dividend or a very, very large standard deduction.
c. Have the federal gov't spend more on infrastructure, temporarily, until unemployment falls.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:35 AM

41,314 posts, read 39,491,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
All of you lefties have ruined our economy.

Allow America to drill for oil. Allow America to build refineries. Allow America to drill for natural gas. Allow America to build Nuclear Plants.

We are an energy rich country.

Kill the EPA and start to become energy independent.

Millions of jobs are at stake.
Hit it right on the nail. The Left has crippled and obstructed energy production in this country.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:35 AM

603 posts, read 564,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Yes, it's very much different. Obviously you don't understand what a border is, what a crime is, and what the legal immigration system is and/or why it exists.
Actually I do However perhaps you weren't paying attention. The question was in regards to the economy in terms of sending money outside the U.S.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:36 AM

8,803 posts, read 7,557,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
My theories are part austrian and part neo-keynesian.

The Austrian side of me says we should reform the tax code to reduce distortion and malinvestment. That means:
a. Corporate incomes, wages and capital gains should be taxed at the same rate.
b. Existing deductions and credits should be minimized, if not eliminated.
c. No more business write-offs and special exemptions to hide income.
d. All of this will broaden the base to enable a lower marginal tax rate.

The Neo-Keynesian side of me says we have to increase aggregate demand. The fairest way to do that is to reform the Federal Reserve. I think we should:
a. End fractional reserve banking. Banks must lend out deposits, or their own earned cash, they get no more funding from the fed.
b. Execute controlled increases in the monetary supply by printing money and giving it directly to all taxpayers, either in the form of a national dividend or a very, very large standard deduction.
c. Have the federal gov't spend more on infrastructure.
I don't think you know what Austrian economics is.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:37 AM

3,458 posts, read 3,102,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I don't think you know what Austrian economics is.
well if you know it all, then enlighten me.

Austrians want to lower barriers to production, and I said we should lower the marginal rate.
Austrians want to reduce distortion and malinvestment, and I said we should flatten the tax code.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:38 AM

603 posts, read 564,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
c. Have the federal gov't spend more on infrastructure, .
Yes, a huge, long-term plan to get our country back to being the leader in innovation and infrastructure!

Old 10-13-2011, 09:41 AM

20,310 posts, read 19,415,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annilyna View Post
Ok so someone working a job here, and sending money to their family outside the U.S is ok if they are a citizen versus not a citizen. The end result is different? Is that your point?
I would argue that every job done by an illegal is a potential job that should be done by a legal citizen or resident.
Those who employ illegals will claim they do so to be competitive. Yet we have no evidence that the cost savings are passed on to the consumer.
In fact when I built my house 11 years ago I fired a contractor because he couldn't provide evidence that his non-english speaking laborers were here legally. The replacement contractor cost just under $100.00 more.
To get this economy moving we need to level the playing field. Our trade treaties should mirror those of our trading partners.
Why does a Harley-Davidson that costs 15 g here sell for 60g in Japan? I am sure that shipping doesnt cost 45G.
We need to give big business incentive to keep manufacturing in the USA, to open more factories. Double the tax on profits generated by plants they move over seas. Offer a tax break for employers who hire those on the unemployment rolls.
Hammer employers caught using illegals.
Although I am sure the company that made all those signs that say paid for by the stimulous package made a mint, I dont think that the stimulous package was at all cost effective.
Big business is holding on to their money because the FED has created a very uncertain future. Only a fool spends money in such an enviroment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or