Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 08:49 AM

2,935 posts, read 4,999,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Some here believe that giving these same people taxpayer-subsidized healthcare insurance would help. Then, if they are ever forced to get a job, should receive 6-8 weeks vacation each year. Our methods are 180 degrees out. We should start REMOVING services, not adding more if these people won't find a job.
One problem that has caused this is the number of people who have removed the negative stigma of receiving public assistance. At one time people were ashamed to rely on taxpayers to shoulder their responsibilities. Now, its a source of pride to be able to demonstrate one's savvy of defrauding American taxpayers via government assistance programs.
Is there really a smaller stigma now than there used to be? "The projects" used to be more middle class when they were first conceived and built, according to most of the history I've read, it seems like the "you're a bad person for taking welfare" stigma really didn't gain that much strength until the 80's with Reagan, although I could be wrong. Other developed countries have far more generous social programs than we do, including universal healthcare and more paid vacation time, and they tend to have lower poverty and greater individual economic mobility (poor people don't stay poor for generations as much as they do here) so they must be doing SOMETHING right... maybe the US just doesn't implement **** well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2007, 09:06 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,183,056 times
Check out the reports in yesterday's paper about the money for Katrina clean-up going to GOPers building expensive condos so they can watch Crimson Tide football games in Alabama. That sounds like a waste of money intended for other purposes.

Old 08-25-2007, 09:39 AM

504 posts, read 1,764,209 times
If you really are interested and wanted to do a paper on fact I could help you a great deal. Briefly a woman lived behind me that had seven kids, and on and off she had custody of them. In order for her to keep money coming in she had to work or go to school. She received food stamps for 5 of the kids, the other two were in foster care, section eight paid for her house, received money for utilities etc.All the children and the mother had medical paid by the state.They all had social workers and probabtion officers and the middle two had school problems and went to and alternative school. The mother went to school paid by the state but, did not finish. The father has never paid child support. The house where they live now houses another family that actually gets more state help but its so confusing and my space here is limited.

Old 08-25-2007, 10:26 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,770,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
You're almost 10 years behind the curve. Welfare is now workfare in most states. Most actual welfare today is in the form of WIC and Social Security benefits (including disability benefits).

You wouldn't want to do a paper about large corporations that don't pay income taxes, would you?
Don't forget your company funded retirement plan....Everytime I buy something I'm paying for someones retirement plan with higher prices !

Old 08-25-2007, 10:33 AM

2,201 posts, read 2,515,378 times
The hospitals, dentists, doctors and all areas of medicine provide healthcare to illegal's every single day. Our tax money is paying for illegals because one illegal partakes in identity theft and gets a false identification. Then, 20 different illegal families will use the same identification to obtain medical treatment that has been approved under a different person for government assistance. Hospital's wont say anything about it because the government is just picking up the tab. THe hospitals are getting paid. It is hard enough these days for the hospital to collect money. A lot of people do not pay. They will not turn these people away because they want money. Call the police???? yes, you would think.... that is Fraud on part of the illegal. The hospital will not do this because then, they will not get paid and they are afraid that they are breaking the law on patient rights and unidinification...... Thats not really abuse of welfare but it is a waste of govt money and services

Old 08-25-2007, 10:34 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,692,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
Is there really a smaller stigma now than there used to be? "The projects" used to be more middle class when they were first conceived and built, according to most of the history I've read, it seems like the "you're a bad person for taking welfare" stigma really didn't gain that much strength until the 80's with Reagan, although I could be wrong. Other developed countries have far more generous social programs than we do, including universal healthcare and more paid vacation time, and they tend to have lower poverty and greater individual economic mobility (poor people don't stay poor for generations as much as they do here) so they must be doing SOMETHING right... maybe the US just doesn't implement **** well?
Absolutely there is a smaller stigma for accepting taxpayer assistance, as there once was a stigma for receiving chartible contributions. Now its not only been destigmatize but it's fashionable in some circles. I don't know where you are getting your news concerning economic mobility, but I would suggest that you research these claims.

Old 08-25-2007, 01:15 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,999,209 times
I've researched plenty, my friend... muahahahahahahaha muahahahahahah muahahahahah MANIACAL LAUGHTER!!!!

Look up "income mobility compared across different" countries on Google if you DARE...........

Old 08-26-2007, 10:57 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
Then talk about corporations and their paid-off politicians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies