Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 07:32 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,475,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Why not stop there how about Latino themed currency?
Strawman argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Someone needs to find more pressing matters to contend with.

I'm sure half the monuments and parks in the southwest can be connected in some way to "Latino" themes.

Oh yeah, and St. Augustine too.
He's doing his job.

Quote:
Oh, yeah, Wyoming and Idaho were just full of Mexicans before being taken over. A Cantina on every corner, and the rich Mexican culture just flowing in the streets.
Lots of hispanics in Wyoming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahnyc View Post
Do we have records of the historic hispanic population of the United States?

Considering we were 90% White until the 1970s, what history and heritage are we exactly supposed to have? They haven't been here very long and when we acquired the Southwest after the U.S-Mexican war, something like 50,000 people were living in the entire territory.
"They" have been in Colorado for generations. Salazar himself is a long-time native Coloradan.

Salazar has ancestors in the Southwestern United States dating back from the 1500s, when that region was part of New Spain.[5] He has identified as Mexican American and said: "I've been taunted, called names -- from dirty Mexican to lots of other names -- as I was growing up, and even now as a United States senator."[6]

Ken Salazar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-13-2011, 07:40 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,975,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
When you have to go out and look for historical sites (ie: make up stuff and get creative) they probably aren't that historical to begin with.
So historical research is nonsense in your opinion? All sites of historical significance are known, in your opinion? Placing yet to be discovered or under recognized historical sites on the Registry of Historic Places, thus preserving them for future generation is a silly idea, in your opinion? The fact that historic sites of Latin or African American may have gone under recognized or appreciated regardless of their historical significance is just another quota system, in your opinion?

Every year the Department of the Interior reviews hundreds of sites identify for protection under the National Historic Preservation Act, I see no crime in putting emphasis on those that are central to the history of African Americans and latinos nor do I have a problem of elevating many of those sites already listed as historic places to the level of national park. Frankly, dismissing this as "just another quota" program smacks of just what it is... do I need to spell it out for you?

Old 10-13-2011, 07:45 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,534,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
More balkanization by the Obama administration.
By the Obama administration? Perhaps people should be less afraid of Hispanic culture.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:45 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,349,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Didn't matter if there was a cantina on every corner or not, that was more Dodge city than San Antonio anyway. They were part of the Mexican territory dealt away in a land deal. They were Mexican territory, and thus, would fit right in w/ the "strict historical" loonies up there and on here.
Yeah, and the Pacific Northwest and Alaska were once claimed by Russia... doesn't mean we need or care about the rich "Russian history" of the area because three guys from Vladivostock and a bunch of seals laid technical claim to land mass they obviously couldn't effectively colonize or control.

The American southwest already pays handsomely (in more ways than one) to "honor" its "Latino" heritage. I'm sure "Latinos" will just NEVER be able to have any sense of self worth unless we spend more time building monuments and parks to recognize the contributions of conquistadors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana
He's doing his job
Then I know a very good place we can cut some fat out of the budget.

Last edited by TriMT7; 10-13-2011 at 07:54 PM..

Old 10-13-2011, 07:47 PM

7,786 posts, read 8,010,775 times
OK lets just call Rocky Mountain National Park Salazar National Park and move on. what a stupid idea. The parks are named for their actractions not some particular race. get over it.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Yeah, and the Pacific Northwest and Alaska were once claimed by Russia... doesn't mean we need or care about the rich "Russian history" of the area because three guys from Vladivostock and a bunch of seals laid technical claim to land mass they obviously couldn't effectively colonize or control.

The American southwest already pays handsomely (in more ways than one) to "honor" its "Latino" heritage. I'm sure "Latinos" will just NEVER be able to have any sense of self worth unless we spend more time building monuments and parks to recognize the contributions of conquistadors.

Then I know a very good place we can cut some fat out of the budget.
You've obviously never been to Sitka, Alaska. The Russian history is "celebrated" there.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:52 PM

7,641 posts, read 18,085,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I never heard of an African American or African themed national park. Which one is it? Which congressperson got that through a vote in congress?
Busch Gardens Tampa Bay has an African theme. I don't know about congresspeople, but I'm sure a lot of the Tampa city commissioners had a part in processing the zoning and permits for it.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:12 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,156,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Why not stop there how about Latino themed currency?
Why not?

Do you fear "losing your country"?

Old 10-13-2011, 09:15 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,156,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahnyc View Post
Do we have records of the historic hispanic population of the United States?

Considering we were 90% White until the 1970s, what history and heritage are we exactly supposed to have? They haven't been here very long and when we acquired the Southwest after the U.S-Mexican war, something like 50,000 people were living in the entire territory.
what do you mean by "WE"?

White folks? All Americans? I know I didn't acquire anything.......

THEY acquired something......not "us".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies