Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 03:03 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times

Advertisements

This week's Jeopardy show consists of current college students as contestants. The winner of last nights show is an "English major" from Princeton. When asked by Alex what she wanted to do with her degree, her response was "be a writer.....uhhh....I don't know really."

My vocal response to my wife sitting next to me? "For the love of Jesus I hope she didn't take out student loans to an Ivy League university only to major in a discipline that she doesn't even know what she will do with it!"

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

I hope they charge her a million dollars per semester for that worthless ass degree. If you're stupid enough to go to an Ivy League school to major in English and no clear-minded career goals to go with it, clearly you're an idiot without a clue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 03:04 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird2007 View Post
Seriously,

someone earning a degree in English or Art is most likely not going to have the same earning power as say someone earning a business or law degree.

So should they be charged the same tuition rate?

At the rate of increasing tuition, most people would be dissuaded from getting degrees in arts and sciences since there are a very limited number of jobs out there.....then if that happens what happens to America's think tank.
So those professors teaching a "useless" degree should get paid less.

That would weed out a lot of liberal type education.

I am for it.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:07 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,460,012 times
You know what's another worthless degree? "Communications"/Journalism. No graduate in "communications" ever accomplished anything -- least of all becoming a Governor or a vice-presidential candidate or a widely-admired political pundit with 2016 Presidential aspirations.

She would have been better off majoring in petroleum engineering, then she could have gotten a real job.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:50 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,265,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Charge the art history majors twice as much. Decreasing demand for this kind of BS is the answer.
Almost all students today are using college loans of some sort. The Colleges & Universities don't care what field of study the student in entering because the system (financed by the US Taxpayer) pays for all of them.

This might be an idea ..... tie the available loans to each University to the number of job placements in each field of study. If the students can't find jobs after completing a degree in Underwater Basket Weaving, then the University can't get loans for new students with a degree plan of Underwater Basket Weaving. This country is falling way behind in Technical and Science based degrees, too many kiddos are going to college to graduate with next to worthless degrees so they can have the "University Experience". Put the money with the degrees we need, not the useless stuff the kiddies want.

I guarantee you that the Universities will pay attention if those programs that don't pay well (or pay at all) don't get freebie (to the Universities) Taxpayer financed loans. The kids that still want the 'fluff' degrees can still get them -- they just have to pay for them on their own.

Problem solved.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:08 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,695,870 times
I think they need to reform the college system all together. Get some better processors, not the Marxist ones who are brainwashing students.

Also get better degrees. Anyone who is going to College for Art History, Womens Studies etc... Should just drop out of College all together because they're just wasting their time and money on something useless.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:32 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
This week's Jeopardy show consists of current college students as contestants. The winner of last nights show is an "English major" from Princeton. When asked by Alex what she wanted to do with her degree, her response was "be a writer.....uhhh....I don't know really."

My vocal response to my wife sitting next to me? "For the love of Jesus I hope she didn't take out student loans to an Ivy League university only to major in a discipline that she doesn't even know what she will do with it!"

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

I hope they charge her a million dollars per semester for that worthless ass degree. If you're stupid enough to go to an Ivy League school to major in English and no clear-minded career goals to go with it, clearly you're an idiot without a clue.
If she went to Princeton she probably has enough smarts and connections to stay employed forever. Sounds to me like she was just unprepared to answer the big question on national TV when she really may NOT know exactly where she is headed yet.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:35 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,265,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
I think they need to reform the college system all together. Get some better processors, not the Marxist ones who are brainwashing students.

Also get better degrees. Anyone who is going to College for Art History, Womens Studies etc... Should just drop out of College all together because they're just wasting their time and money on something useless.
I don't agree - if that's what they want, they should be able to do it. The situation changes when they expect the American Taxpayer to fund it. It's their time, if they want to spend it on a degree with no future, they should be allowed to do so ..... they should also be willing to pay for it out of their own pocket.

This is actually the much admired Leftist vision of the Europeans - they often talk about how the EU countries offer "free" University Education. They don't appear to understand that the "Free" part is all decided for the student. There are tests, only those who show 'aptitude' get the "Free" upper level Education .... the others are pushed into a Vocational Program. There is NO choice, the State decides what your Education and course work will be. I don't support that sort of system for the USA.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:37 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Charge the art history majors twice as much. Decreasing demand for this kind of BS is the answer.
OK, so then you make business and engineering degrees cheap...creating a glut of graduates which will lower salaries. You think that's better? The market's already glutted with BS MBAs.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:41 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,202,828 times
Why would you make people pay more for a already overpriced degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies