Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 02:17 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times

Advertisements

The politics game isn't always easy to follow but it is NEVER what it seems. I never believed the bill, as written, would be implemented and that changes were inevitable. I'm not sure what the end result will be but there WILL be a new way of insuring and providing health care to Americans when all is said and done. It might not look anything like "Obamacare" but it won't be "same old, same old" either, and I think thats probably the point of it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 04:40 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Geez, what an ingrate! So if he feels like "the Guvmint owns his ass", then why doesn't your dad just go out and PAY for the care of his choice (or better yet, you buy it for him)?!!

Oh, that's right... because if weren't for that nasty old Medicare, neither of you could afford any care at all!

No US doctor will touch him, because the Government owns his treatment, records, rehab or any after complications that may come up.
Going overseas and they threaten you with big fines, after you are put onto Medicare. We tried that angle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
That's funny. My wife and I had cadillac insurance coverage and guess what? She couldn't get a diagnoses for her condition, Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy, for several years. Many great doctors thought she was nuts and It got so bad one brilliant insurance CSR claimed to never of heard of the condition, another words tough luck from the private for profit insurance. Oh, did I mention our premium was $1800 per-month? Did I also mention this took place 5 years ago? She finally lost her coverage, too sick, no profit in it. however, she now receives medicare for what she paid for for 30 years of employment and for some strange GD reason she's getting the treatment she deserves. Go figure..................................

At least you had the option to paid privately

Old 10-15-2011, 06:34 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,065,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
The politics game isn't always easy to follow but it is NEVER what it seems. I never believed the bill, as written, would be implemented and that changes were inevitable. I'm not sure what the end result will be but there WILL be a new way of insuring and providing health care to Americans when all is said and done. It might not look anything like "Obamacare" but it won't be "same old, same old" either, and I think thats probably the point of it all.

That's sort of like cluster bombing a city and hoping it only hits the bad guys.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:49 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,564,796 times
Part of Obama's tax plan includes slashing the amount of writeoffs that taxpayers can take for charitable contributions.

That's sickening.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:00 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.C View Post
The LTC provisions won't work because healthy people won't buy it. So why not just force everyone to buy it? What's the difference between forcing everyone to buy traditional HI and forcing everyone to buy LTC insurance? If SCOTUS upholds the mandate, you can bet your house your car and your mother LTC will be next.

I also wonder how much funding was in obamacare for LTC? And will we "save" those funds, or can obama shift them to some other pet project? And if the latter, could that have been the plan all along?
(In bold) Why do you assume that? I purchased my LTC insurance at age 40 and I was/am healthy. It is called advanced planning.

The time to buy LTC insurance is when you are young and healthy. My premiums would have been much less had I purchased it at age 30. This keeps premiums lower and less of a burden similar to the premiums on a whole life policy.

Why not FORCE everyone to buy it? Are you serious? In what part of the Constitution does it allow the federal government to FORCE citizens to purchase a product? Where is the personal liberty protection in that?

Does anyone read the Constitution anymore for any reasons other to subvert it?

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 10-15-2011 at 10:20 PM..

Old 10-15-2011, 10:18 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
My comments in red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Auto Insurance-mandatory Only if one wishes to drive. No one forces a person to drive.

Health Insurance-mandatory It should not be and has not yet been settled by the courts.

Home owners Insurance-mandatory Only mandatory as a lender's requirement for property with a mortgage. Until the mortgage is paid off you are only renting it back from the lender. Once you own it outright it is your choice as to insure or not (though prudence would dictate it is advisable, just like it is advisable to at least maintain catastrophic health insurance).

Employment-not so much Why should employment be "required" as long as one is not leaching off society?

Good public transportation-not so much Define good. Most public transportation is a function of a municipality dependent upon demand and public williness to use the product offered.

Decently built homes-not so much Building codes are in most urban areas. No one forces anyone to purchase a home that is not well built.

The only thing people I know want are a decent job. Obviously with all the insurance that you are forced to get one needs a job that can pay for it. Who's idea was it to start making everything mandatory at the same time as they gave all the jobs in this country away? Insurance companies (follow the money). I'd call that poor planning, ey! Some must be looking back and saying...........Whoops! My bad! Made most cities unwalkable with horrible transportation systems so you really need a car, our bad! Built most homes cheap, fast and disposable so you really need insurance, our bad! Makes little sense, no wonder every things falling apart. This is the quality Americans for which American have chosen to settle. Some people demand fewer luxeries but make certain what they do have is top quality. It was easier to do when we manufactured here in the USA.
Making insurance mandatory for anything causes a monopoly cesspool seems to be our specialty. We need to rip the house down and start a new, with much better planning. Agreed. Less goverment planning and more personal responsibility. You can't expect people to live in a country that proclaims freedom at every opportunity yet has little freedoms left to give.

The government doesn't give freedom. You have to take it, nurture it, and protect it for yourself when the government fails to protect it as is their primary function and sworn oath of office to uphold.

With freedom comes responsibility. Americans seem not to have taken their responsibilities to nurture freedom and liberty seriously. Instead thay have sluffed it off to the government to handle for them as a matter of convenience. Just like it is inadvisable to hand your money over to someone else to handle without keeping an eye on the figures and banking transactions, it is equally inadvisable to trust politicians with your freedom and personal liberty without checking on them to be certain they are doing their job of upholding the US Constitution.

The freedom to not find employment because you can't get to work, have a home, or go to the doctor in your area because you lack all this mandated insurance is ridiculous and poorly planned.
Choices have consequences. It should be the individual planning smartly. The US government does not belong in the business of central planning.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:51 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,564,796 times
Amen to that.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:58 AM

773 posts, read 503,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Nasty Nancy said we had to pass it so we could see what was in it. LOL I met with an insurance agent today who said that everything is so "up in the air" that agents have no idea what to tell clients.
But but but but it was just the racist white men who were just trying to hate on Obama wasn't it? I mean once it was passed it the evil corporations, racist Obama hating whites and bible thumping gun lovers would see just how great Obama's healthcare mandate would be.

What happened? ROTFLMAO!!!!

Old 10-16-2011, 11:53 AM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,362,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.C View Post
The LTC provisions won't work because healthy people won't buy it. So why not just force everyone to buy it? What's the difference between forcing everyone to buy traditional HI and forcing everyone to buy LTC insurance? If SCOTUS upholds the mandate, you can bet your house your car and your mother LTC will be next.

I also wonder how much funding was in obamacare for LTC? And will we "save" those funds, or can obama shift them to some other pet project? And if the latter, could that have been the plan all along?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
(In bold) Why do you assume that? I purchased my LTC insurance at age 40 and I was/am healthy. It is called advanced planning.
That's not my assumption, it's the reason they gave for scrapping it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

Why not FORCE everyone to buy it? Are you serious? In what part of the Constitution does it allow the federal government to FORCE citizens to purchase a product? Where is the personal liberty protection in that?

Does anyone read the Constitution anymore for any reasons other to subvert it?
Of course I'm serious! If they can make me buy HI, what could possibly prevent them from making me buy LTC insurance? Is there some distinction there that I'm not seeing?

Old 10-17-2011, 07:11 AM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,362,261 times
Cancellation Of The CLASS Act Vindicates obamacare

Here's a wacko celebrating that CLASS was scrapped precisely because it did not mandate purchase - in his eyes that represents a solid vindication of obamacare and its mandate!

Elsewhere I read that scrapping CLASS "raises the deficit" in the first 10 years of obamacare - I suppose because in the beginning they expected lots of buyers and few collectors. I'd like to see the actual figures, and I'd like to know whether the real purpose of CLASS was to help mask the true cost of obamacare - i.e. does scrapping it affect the CBO scoring result?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies