Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 01:56 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,298,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reader View Post
The two are not muturally exclusive.
Why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 02:00 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,303,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r.humboldt View Post
Just two cents, but suppose we simply made the death penalty public?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I doubt that would be a deterant. More likely it would feed the blood thirsty masses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
Absolutely, and make it a public spectacle like they did in the old days.
Only ... on... Pay-Per-View!
Actually, now that I think about it, there was a Schwarzenegger film about this already. The Running Man (1987) - IMDb . I remember it was the only time the villain had a great comeback for Arnold's famous "I'll be back" line. He said, "Only in a re-run".

Old 10-18-2011, 02:31 PM

78,340 posts, read 60,539,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Embla View Post
US: The only Western Country besides Belarus.

Just stop that. I send letters to Obama and recommend everybody else to do so. It's unacceptable and it's cruel. Stop it.

Because it's "unacceptable and cruel". LOL we have 100,000 abortions a year in this country and you are writing letters because we execute 50 people a year? On what morale level do you operate where it's ok to abort babies but not ok to execute convicted criminals?

Also, so just the western countries matter? That's rather racially and culturally insensitive.

Are you getting extra credit from your teacher for making posts like this for social studies? How cute.

Old 10-18-2011, 02:34 PM

FYI -For those that don't know...the death penalty was how they got closure on the Green River Killers mass murder spree.

I support the DP as long as it's in cases of iron clad guilt ala Dahmer, Gacey etc. but not sketchy eye-witnessess etc. Additionally, I believe they should get a life-no-chance of parole option to plead to.

The DP is useful to have as a tool, I would prefer it not to be used unless neccessary.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:56 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,763,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Agreed! Throw away the key type life imprisonment. If they want more than three appeals, let organizations like amnesty international and the innocence project pay the bill. Quit fu*kin' over Joe Taxpayer.
Joe Taxpayer, I like that. Joe and Jane Taxpayer can save a lot more with one quick needle to make the go to sleep and stay that way. It's peaceful compared to the electric chair and hanging and less painful in the preparation.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:03 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,763,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Would you be content with life imprisonment without the possibility of paroll? If so, I agree with you. We spend way too much money on capital cases and appeals just to keep these animals alive for 20 years after they are sentenced to death. Life with no chance of paroll might change a few minds, and save our nation a lot of $$$.
How about a time limit for appeals with no excpetions.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:20 PM

488 posts, read 554,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
Absolutely, and make it a public spectacle like they did in the old days.

"Eye for an eye" punishment enforced in a timely manner on convicted murderers would bring the crime rate down and empty out Death Rows across the nation. Hey, we'd save money on feeding and housing all those sickos, too.

Win-win.
Indeed, and while we're at it why don't we use stones to beat people to death, and cut off the hands of thieves. Why does that sound so familiar?

Old 10-19-2011, 11:54 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,071,773 times
Next person for the needle. Florida 11/15 at 4 pm
Oba chandler 65 on death row for 17 years. Received the bad news and filed his 8th appeal stating death penalty is violation of 6th amendment in that he should have had a jury trial for sentencing not the judge giving it.[jury gave death penalty.]
Chandler convicted of taking a woman and her two daughters on a boat in 1989. Raped and murdered the three of them, tied concrete blocks around their necks and threw them overboard.
Any one felling sorry for him?
Hey Oba, say hello to Ted and Danny.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantthinkofaname View Post
How about a time limit for appeals with no excpetions.
In terrible cases if you have a death penalty staring them in the face but allow them to plead to life-no-parole....you don't have to deal with the appeals.

However, if they are only facing life-no-parole then you get to enjoy a lengthy trial and appeal after appeal. There is also no incentive to provide closure to victims and solving other crimes they committed.

This is why I like the DP as a seldom used option....but feel it's important to have on the books.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:33 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,824,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill80 View Post
Indeed, and while we're at it why don't we use stones to beat people to death, and cut off the hands of thieves. Why does that sound so familiar?
you have spent time in the middle east havent you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies