Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 09:10 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
True, the finer interpretations are more complex, but it is very important for every yokel (ahem) to have a basic understanding, since some are completely clueless.
I'd say MOST are clueless.

The interplay between Free Exercise and Establishment is very complex, and we've got case law all over the place - but that's still no excuse for some of the almost unbelievably false opinions I see about this topic on the Internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 11:35 AM

7,184 posts, read 4,763,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
So you either make no charitable donations or don't claim them on your taxes?
Donations I make to non-profit organizations such as the Liver Foundation (I've donated 2 cars to them already), St Jude's Children Hospital, women's shelters, etc. get claimed our taxes.

Donations I make to our Church DO NOT get claimed on our taxes. I'd feel like a hypocrite if I did. I don't think you should reap a benefit from tithing. What's the point, then? But, that's just me.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:40 AM

529 posts, read 363,669 times
Yes.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:40 AM

1,147 posts, read 909,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Donations I make to non-profit organizations such as the Liver Foundation (I've donated 2 cars to them already), St Jude's Children Hospital, women's shelters, etc. get claimed our taxes.

Donations I make to our Church DO NOT get claimed on our taxes. I'd feel like a hypocrite if I did. I don't think you should reap a benefit from tithing. What's the point, then? But, that's just me.
You should never donate cars. They get sold to corporations so they can crush them for "pollution credits". That means your two cars allow a corporation to further pollute the environment.

Yes, I donated a car once too, before I knew.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:28 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,842,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post

I don't understand the distinction. All are non-profit entities. Aren't you also benefiting when you donate to St. Jude's Children Hospital, in that you are able to donate at a reduced cost to you because of the tax deduction?

Old 10-19-2011, 12:45 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,842,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burb View Post
The "Separation of Church and State" is exactly why churches cannot be taxed, it would violate the first ammendment. To paraphrase, Congress shall make no law that supports or infringes on religion. Government having the ability to tax a church would cross that wall of separation.
Governments do and have taxed churches when they operate contrary the laws governing non-profit institutions. In addition, they can be billed for their share of the costs for operating various public utilities such as water, sewer, transit, etc

Old 10-24-2011, 01:57 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,547,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Well, if there's that much ignorance, then we certainly deserve to be enlightened! May I ask you a question? I'd like to know if there's a difference between a church stating its opinion on a given issue...and attempting to influence policy on that issue. (Perhaps that's where the notion of separating church and state lies? Just a thought).
A church should be allowed to influence policy as much as any corporation and any lobby. Why should the tobacco industry be allowed to lobby congress to protect its interests if the church can't lobby congress to protect its interests? I think we can all agree that the Church has society's best interest in mind much more than the tobacco industry.

Old 10-24-2011, 02:04 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,547,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
LOL! So true.

Furthermore, why do they care? We have complete religious freedom in this country. You can be Jewish, Muslim, Christian, or one those churches that advertise in the back of Rolling Stone. You can be anything you want or nothing at all when it comes to religion.

I am always left with the conclusion that these folks remain irate because they cannot use government (i.e. public schools) in place of a sword to convert us heathens.
You are wrong. We get irate because we are not represented. And people like you do not even listen to us. Did you even read my earlier reply?

If church and state truly are separate, then how can a fundamentalist Christian be a politician? Only lukewarm Christians, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, etc. and atheists could be politicians. Could a Catholic priest be a politician?

Old 10-24-2011, 02:08 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
I totally agree ! They are a business and should be taxed. Whatever happened to the separation of "church" & "state"?

I agree that the state needs to keep its nose out of the church's business, but what sort of tax on religion would be compatible with the First Amendment?

Shall we also have an peaceful assembly tax?

How about a press tax?

Maybe a speech tax too.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:16 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,119,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Love love love these Constitutional debates instigated by "religious scholars" who have as much formal legal training as my dog (who actually has the benefit of being able to nap next to a bookcase with real life law textbooks)

These issues are hashed out through decades upon decades of cases brought to the highest courts of the land, volumes of case law, supreme court decisions, debates between great legal minds.... and yet on City-Data, every yokel with Wikipedia thinks he's a Supreme Court Justice.
And who do you think you are?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies