Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 05:10 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Well, I really wanted to call you something else, it begins with a T and ends with a L, based on your posting history, but I gave you the benefit of the doubt.
My bad.
BTW, you really dont have a clue about primitive camping.
Primitive? You're using Ziplock, Hanes, Wal-mart, etc so you could wash yourself "primitively."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I don't mind protestors, they have the right of free speech and assembly. What does concern me is not their smell, but rather the possibility of real violence. It only takes a few to start it and the next thing you know, you have a full blown riot. It also concerns me that so many there don't actually seem to know what they are really protesting about and those that do, don't seem to have a complete grasp of the topic they are protesting against.
They want to end banks and the Fed...

They should try an experiment where they lock themselves in a room with 9 other people and $1,000 and see what happens when no more money can be added to the equation.

Old 10-16-2011, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathys View Post
All these comments about smelly protestors and bathing just show how juvenille and out of touch some people are on here.Can you think of anything so unimportant and trivial to make a comment on?
There are realy morel important, legitimate issues and greivances that need addressing than this idiotic back and forth.
I'm also sick of the hippie,dope smoking,deadbeat,anarchists,union bashing,go back to your parents basements remarks. There are all ages represented in this, as are races and people that do have jobs.Where do you people get your imformation from?
Most of them are informed as to what is going on, and what has gone on, politically and financially. they know how we were screwed by all political parties and their banking, and corporate masters.I would say, they know more than most of you, who are against them.
As for violence.I think the protestors have shown remarkable solidarity, fortitude and self control and are very well organized.If violence comes, it will be caused by infiltrators, and the police.
I am sure the almost five million donated by Chase to the police, is protection money.That's ok. It's coming from you, the people who have Chase accounts. You're paying for it in higher fees, but that does'nt seem too bother you. That is because you have slowly been conditioned to accept it.
They have taken beatings and not fought back.They are fighting for you,and you are not smart enough to realize it.
They are also many against Obama and what he represents, the false hope and change he campaigned for and they feel very much let down. This is not going to be an issue solved by voting, they are no, or at least very few candidates, that are not infected, or influenced at this point, by the corporate masters.
Do they have the answers? No I am sure they don't,but they are expressing their disillusion, diappointment and lack of representation, by those who are supposed to be doing that for us.
There are so many issues that are dividing us, and that are affecting us now, and that will have long term social, economic, and enviormental impacts in the not to distant future.
So go ahead and slam me now. Just remember, you could wind up being one of the 99, it could happen to anyone of you that think you are secure, nothing is secure anymore, no matter how strongly you believe you are safe,comfortable, and unaffected.
I also have one more point to ad, the protestors are more tolerant of the opposers, and name callers, than you are of them, which goes to show that are the ones with the higher moral and ethical standings than those doing the name calling and insulting.
Forgive me if I don't feel you have all of the qualifications to judge if people know what they're talking about there.

Old 10-16-2011, 05:52 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I was in Manhattan today and decided to go to Zuccotti Park and Time Square to make a first hand judgment of this movement. This is what I learned:

-The vast majority of the protesters appear to be apolitical in that they don't support either major party. Many had anti-Obama signs.

-A large number of them are angry at the Federal Reserve Bank, and want to get rid of it

-Contrary to what I saw on Fox "news", the protesters don't smell (at least not the ones I was in contact with).

-A sizable number want the US to end foreign wars (and simultaneously blame the banks for encouraging conflict to raise profits).

-They are all mad about bank bail-outs, CEO pay increases and job cuts.

-Every food vendor in lower Manhattan has also encamped himself in the area of the park to sell food.

-Many of them at least claim to have jobs.

-I didn't see any "save the whales" people.

-There is a thread called "OWS is bigger than you think" and this is correct. The protesters don't even fit in the park anymore, it's even difficult to move down there. Even when the park is full, there are marauding protesters everywhere in Manhattan. We went to Time Square for a show and we had to beg the cops to let us through because the blocked off all the roads. I have never seen so many protesters at one event in my entire life. I'm not sure how many were there. At least thousands, but probably tens of thousands. It was like New Years Eve down there.

-I didn't seen any violence by the protester or any rough handling by the police.

I'm not sure what will happen with this "movement" but it does seem to be getting quite popular.
My husband was in NYC earlier this week on business and pretty much backs up everything you said here--he walked down there after he finished meetings one day and he said there were lots of people (probably nothing like what you saw yesterday though). The only other thing he said he'd add is that it was a wide cross section of people--not just kids or "hippys" by a long shot. He said he wound up talking to a few people and one was a small business owner--the other was an engineer. People were well behaved and polite. They didn't smell. There wasn't litter everywhere. A good chunk of them were normal looking, every day Americans.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:03 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
My husband was in NYC earlier this week on business and pretty much backs up everything you said here--he walked down there after he finished meetings one day and he said there were lots of people (probably nothing like what you saw yesterday though). The only other thing he said he'd add is that it was a wide cross section of people--not just kids or "hippys" by a long shot. He said he wound up talking to a few people and one was a small business owner--the other was an engineer. People were well behaved and polite. They didn't smell. There wasn't litter everywhere. A good chunk of them were normal looking, every day Americans.
But that doesn't make for sensational MSM headlines. We all know they cherry pick what they write about.

I've read other posts on other forums from people who have attended these various OWS protests and they are all saying the same thing. The majority are just normal folks. There are a few extremes and that is what the MSM is going after.

MSM is a propaganda machine to sway public sentiment. Don't you forget that.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:21 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But that doesn't make for sensational MSM headlines. We all know they cherry pick what they write about.

I've read other posts on other forums from people who have attended these various OWS protests and they are all saying the same thing. The majority are just normal folks. There are a few extremes and that is what the MSM is going after.

MSM is a propaganda machine to sway public sentiment. Don't you forget that.
That's just it--people who look like you or me don't make dramatic photos, and people picking up their trash and calmly explaining how we need to work for campaign finance reform don't make exciting news headlines. News organizations are all about going for drama...they go looking for it if they can't easily find it, and the extreme end of either side is what winds up on TV or in the papers.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:35 AM

Financiers for Occupying Wall Street - The Washington Post

Old 10-16-2011, 08:37 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
That's just it--people who look like you or me don't make dramatic photos, and people picking up their trash and calmly explaining how we need to work for campaign finance reform don't make exciting news headlines. News organizations are all about going for drama...they go looking for it if they can't easily find it, and the extreme end of either side is what winds up on TV or in the papers.
That's why Tea Party protests didn't stay long on the radar.
No blood, violence or extremeness. Just ordinary folks protesting the outrageous acts by our government.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:46 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,137,436 times
I think it's about time a large march takes place on K Street in NW Washington for a few months. This would send a message to 44,000 lobbyists in which many are bribing our representatives in Congress and especially to Congress critters taking bribes then acting on it through legislation on Saturdays, on a holiday, at 4 am in the morning. I also think lobbyist have somehow bribed our Supreme Court.

Last edited by jmking; 10-16-2011 at 08:59 AM..

Old 10-16-2011, 09:46 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
Are you sure you're not writing this rosy accessment because you don't want them kicked out of NY and sent to Jersey?

...Your observation seems fair.

I was wondering why the cable talking heads really don't have much to say about it, nor are putting on interviews with the usual political slants.

What I do not like seeing is the low life leftists that want to terrorize people's families at their homes...Right away this comes across as low-life thuggery.

We saw this before in California - and those protestors lost any sympathy and support in a "NY minute".

They're spending a lot of time and energy (Their bosses must be very generous with time-off...Or is it we taxpayers)...

Anyway, it is time that would be better spent at the political party meetings - Isn't that where political decisions are developed?..Isn't that where politics take shape?.
"low life leftists" seems your mind is made up without having to open your eyes. Just watch Fox that way you won't have to hear what does not fit your programming.

You have to pay to get out of New Jersey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies