Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was he right in Defending himself?
Yes 130 90.28%
No 14 9.72%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 03:50 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,188,270 times

Advertisements

Never seen anything like this at my local McDonald's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 04:36 AM

913 posts, read 872,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
What shocks me is Carmen Paulino, the franchise owner, fired the cashier for defending the restaurant.

"I am extremely disturbed by the events captured on tape and am concerned for those injured. The actions of this individual are unacceptable and not characteristic of my employees."

What a tool. What a tool!

to avoid a potential lawsuit? ever considered that?

Old 10-18-2011, 04:42 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,569,508 times
Dude's only mistake was walking away, and coming back with a weapon. He should have just beat their asses with the soft-serve machine right behind the register. It will be an interesting court case, to be sure.
One question though. I think I heard that he was 31 years old, is that right? Spent ten years in jail after killing a schoolmate.... was this guy 21 in high school?

Old 10-18-2011, 04:45 AM

913 posts, read 872,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
I fail to see what was stopping him from walking out from behind the counter and exiting the store to "safety" or through a backdoor to safety... you're missing the intent here. If he was solely worried for the safety of his life, he had his chance to escape the situation after he rightfully brought the thugs down.

i'm so sick and tired of people saying that we should run. you start running and it never ends. at some point you have to take a stand. these women act in this manner because of people running away. if everyone stood up and decided they weren't going to take this abuse, there would be a lot less of it!

whenever i see people behaving in that manner, or if my kids misbehave, i warn them that one day they will come across someone who won't accept their behaviour and there will be hell to pay! these women run around bullying people doing their job. it is quite obvious that this isn't the first time they've done such a thing. doubt they'll be doing it again!

Old 10-18-2011, 05:18 AM

3,085 posts, read 5,239,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
That's not really a very good test for if they deserve to be beat more. Someone being beaten to death most certainly is going to be grabbing for anything they might be able to find to stop it. They might not even have a clue what's going on if the first hit was in the head.

If you've ever seen a video of someone being beaten, like, for example, Reginald Denny, then you'd know what I mean.
Looking at the closeup video you can see one of the girls trying to get back up on her feet after being told to stay down, which prompts him to strike her again. Like others have mentioned, underestimating the nature of the threat could have likely proved harmful or worse to the employees present had one or both girls been free to respond by producing a weapon.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:24 AM

3,085 posts, read 5,239,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
Dude's only mistake was walking away, and coming back with a weapon. He should have just beat their asses with the soft-serve machine right behind the register. It will be an interesting court case, to be sure.
One question though. I think I heard that he was 31 years old, is that right? Spent ten years in jail after killing a schoolmate.... was this guy 21 in high school?
He was convicted of manslaughter at 19, paroled at 29 or 30, presumably working at McDonald's since as a condition of parole. No doubt the prosecution is going to attempt to use his past against him in this case.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:25 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
If somebody attacks you, you beat them until they stop moving -- voluntarily or involuntarily. Sometimes the only way people will learn is if somebody else finishes what they start, and the older they are, the more severe the retaliation has to be in order to be effective.

By the way, ladies, if you're man enough to attack a man, then you're also man enough to to take a beating like a man, from a man, period. You cannot pick and choose the gender roles at your convenience.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:41 AM

78,408 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Remember Rodney King? or any of the thousands of police brutality cases that have happened since then?

I fail to see what was stopping him from walking out from behind the counter and exiting the store to "safety" or through a backdoor to safety... you're missing the intent here. If he was solely worried for the safety of his life, he had his chance to escape the situation after he rightfully brought the thugs down.

Exactly, there were CLEAR breaks in between where he could have left the immediate area. It's not like he was in his home and trapped in a corner.
What his coworkers will say is what you see in the video...they were all trying to stop him at the point it turned to assault on his end. Look at the manager trying to grab the rod from his hand. I'm sorry, but that is not going to help his case and clearly demonstrates the condition they were in. The employees and all the customers in the store screaming for him to stop probably saved Mcintosh from another 1st-degree Manslaughter charge, times two.
1) Yes I remember R. King, I went to the trouble of reading your posts and making comments based upon the law and what can actually be seen in the video. In your haste you brushed right past the point about how since he isn't a trained LEO he shouldn't be held to that standard since he doesn't have pepper spray, cuffs or years of training.

2) You COMPLETELY dodged the point that you were earlier claiming he beat them when they were incapacitated and I went to the trouble of breaking down the video. You could at least acknowledge that someone is taking the time to rationally discuss the situation.

3) I agree another guy tried to step in, but they weren't coming after him and you can tell the first guy was still quite freaked out by the assault. Again, he did not just jump on them and administer 10-20 blows on a clearly inert target. AT MOST out of around a dozen hits ONLY the last 2 are POSSIBLY directed at a defenseless individual.

Basically, it's easier to have a clear head when you aren't the one that has already been struck and chased...or are sitting at your computer with a cup of coffee.

Tell me specifically which blows you feel were over the line?

Old 10-18-2011, 07:19 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Never seen anything like this at my local McDonald's
Nor I.

However, I worked at one in a posh mall way back in the early 80s. Probably once a week we would have to call security to have someone removed. People would come in and order things that were not on the menu, go over the top in complaining (its junk food for Chrissakes), hit on a female big time, etc. In each instance, they would cause a scene and refuse to leave.

Between this and that transvestite getting beaten, McDs is becoming a battleground of sorts.

Between American thuggery and Europeans seeing them as a cultural invasion (all the while patronizing them), there might be something in McDonald's that forces people to take leave of their senses.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:43 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,303,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Nor I.

However, I worked at one in a posh mall way back in the early 80s. Probably once a week we would have to call security to have someone removed. People would come in and order things that were not on the menu, go over the top in complaining (its junk food for Chrissakes), hit on a female big time, etc. In each instance, they would cause a scene and refuse to leave.

Between this and that transvestite getting beaten, McDs is becoming a battleground of sorts.

Between American thuggery and Europeans seeing them as a cultural invasion (all the while patronizing them), there might be something in McDonald's that forces people to take leave of their senses.
Let's face it, if you are already eating their food,
that shows you have questionable taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies