Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 04:52 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heritage Member View Post
You can buy a cheap a$$ condo that was an apartment, converted into a condo to start.

Actually condos are way overpriced for what you get. Apartments that rent for $500 sell for $100K when they go condo, then you have the monthly condo fee s on top of that.

Real estate author Robert G. Allen has said that you can double or triple the value of apartments by converting them to condos.

Condos also have financing pitfalls because lenders generally won't lend on condos unless the development has an owner majority. So the cheapest condos might be impossible to finance when buying or later when selling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 05:06 AM

123 posts, read 219,155 times
Could I? Play the game? Your talking like there arnt millions of people that survive on less. I am one of those people, for now at least.

I guess everything is perspective cause to me if you don't have kids an your making 12000 a month you are living a pretty decent life. But than again I grew up poor on a level most of you probably can't even fathom. son of a single mother in debt who can't find a job poor, homeless shelter poor, going to the bathroom outside poor,
using pubic restrooms to brush my teath an shower poor, rahmen noodles and no preasents for christmas poor.

In a way though it was a blessing being raised like that. Nothing anyone ever says to me can ever illicit an emotional reaction from me and survival is all I know so when the going gets rough for me its just a trip down memmory lane. Also my stomach works so that I can eat 3 meals a day every day but at the same time I can go a week without eating an feel fine. I can also stay up for days without getting tired.

But mostly everything is so much brighter and more enjoyable. I'm almost never down cause the smallest things bring me so much joy. Eating a good meal will put me in a great mood and every time payday rolls around I feel lika god amongst men even though its all going to bills, the little things just bring me so much satisfaction and out me in such a great mood.

Last edited by BiggDaddyDroid; 10-21-2011 at 05:21 AM..

Old 10-21-2011, 06:15 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,165,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggDaddyDroid View Post
Could I? Play the game? Your talking like there arnt millions of people that survive on less. I am one of those people, for now at least.

I guess everything is perspective cause to me if you don't have kids an your making 12000 a month you are living a pretty decent life. But than again I grew up poor on a level most of you probably can't even fathom. son of a single mother in debt who can't find a job poor, homeless shelter poor, going to the bathroom outside poor,
using pubic restrooms to brush my teath an shower poor, rahmen noodles and no preasents for christmas poor.

In a way though it was a blessing being raised like that. Nothing anyone ever says to me can ever illicit an emotional reaction from me and survival is all I know so when the going gets rough for me its just a trip down memmory lane. Also my stomach works so that I can eat 3 meals a day every day but at the same time I can go a week without eating an feel fine. I can also stay up for days without getting tired.

But mostly everything is so much brighter and more enjoyable. I'm almost never down cause the smallest things bring me so much joy. Eating a good meal will put me in a great mood and every time payday rolls around I feel lika god amongst men even though its all going to bills, the little things just bring me so much satisfaction and out me in such a great mood.
Wasn't ever that bad for me, but at 18, I was living at the YMCA in Charlotte, paying 18.75 a week for a room, eating a meal every other day sometimes. At that time, ramen wasn't a big thing, (Late 70's), but rice was cheap.....

Many people these days just don't realize how lucky they are. We had no world wide web in the 70's, we walked to the library to read the want ads in the newspaper, or I would wait near the cafeteria at the Y for someone who bought a paper to toss it, so I could ask for it. Even a dime for the paper was out of my budget at times.

I made it through, because of friends, and because I persevered. I never once even considered asking the government for help. In fact the thought never even crossed my mind. In fact now that I think about it, not only did it never cross my mind, I can actually say that asking my parent's for help never even crossed my mind either. I was fairly stubborn like that, in that if could not even admit to my own parents that things were rough for me, because it felt like a admission of failure to say to them I couldn't do it on my own.

These days, I will admit it's a bit different, the 70's were much different than today, but the bottom line is, 9$ an hour, heck, if you're smart you can make it on less, but you have to be able to deal with a dorm room type living space, shared shower/bathrooms, no fancy meals. If you have a family it's a bit tougher, get together with another family, possible rent several rooms in someone's home, share an apartment.

It's not easy, but it can be done.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:01 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,896,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
It's not easy, but it can be done.
We can all share our stories, but the bottom line what I quoted is the truth and the only answer.

There's always a way.

Old 10-21-2011, 03:18 PM

773 posts, read 503,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Actually condos are way overpriced for what you get. Apartments that rent for $500 sell for $100K when they go condo, then you have the monthly condo fee s on top of that.

Real estate author Robert G. Allen has said that you can double or triple the value of apartments by converting them to condos.

Condos also have financing pitfalls because lenders generally won't lend on condos unless the development has an owner majority. So the cheapest condos might be impossible to finance when buying or later when selling.
The first place I bought was a condo. Yep, financing was hard, but once I got it I was able to pay myself the money instead of a landlord. This allowed me to build up equity, which I then cashed in when I sold and bought a SFH.

People can make all the excuses they want to or they can find a way to get it done and improve their situation.

Old 10-21-2011, 03:23 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,192,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
We can all share our stories, but the bottom line what I quoted is the truth and the only answer.

There's always a way.

A way to what? Survive? Is that the kind of world you want to live in? Survival of the fittest, until you break?

What kind of freedom is that?

Last edited by herefornow; 10-21-2011 at 03:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies