Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 05:45 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,440,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Had2SaySumthin View Post
If you keep folks fighting with one another, then they wont fight with YOU. It's true. Can you imagine what would happen if all the energy expended in this forum on a daily basis were used to fight the real problems in DC?

Well, I'll start.......

Hey Democrats! In spite of O's luck with Osama, you have to admit that the military wouldn't be what it is today without conservative Republicans. I shudder when I think about what would happen to our national security if we had 4 straight terms of Dems in office.

Hey Republicans! If you ever fall on hard times, and need some help getting by, you can bet the ranch that a Dem will more than likely be responsible for helping you get on your feet. Given the job market for the last 5 years, this is not an impossible situation

Now you go. Can you honestly say that the "other side" has done NOTHING to benefit you in the past? NOTHING?
#1. When 9/11 happened the country pulled together. Only the fringe tin foil hat wearers were calling conspiracy. When the fit hits the shan Dems and Repubs can work together to get stuff done.

#2. Don't be so sure that all republicans are rich and have never had public assistance from one time or another. All the americans out of work today aren't dems or 99%ers. Dems are not the gate keeper or champions of public assistance. Repubs have no problem with awarding public assistance where it is most needed. Repubs don't want public assistance to be a generational career - that's where Repubs and Dems separate on that issue.

P.S. When people seek help they aren't looking for help along partisan lines, they simply want help from any source they can get it. When someone seeks help along partisan lines, it's called a "favor".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 08:35 PM

1,147 posts, read 908,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
The job market even 4 years ago wasn't bad at all.
The job market has been horrible for almost a decade. It all depends on how you define your opinion. I define mine based on the salaries. For the last 10 years wages have barely moved when compared to the prior decade.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:38 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,810,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Had2SaySumthin View Post
The job market has been horrible for almost a decade. It all depends on how you define your opinion. I define mine based on the salaries. For the last 10 years wages have barely moved when compared to the prior decade.
Okay, I thought you were talking about the unemployment rate.
Do you have any statistics on salaries?

Old 10-17-2011, 08:39 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,921,017 times
Quote:
Can you imagine what would happen if all the energy expended in this forum on a daily basis were used to fight the real problems in DC?
Well, according to the Left (and you too?), they would like to see the government spend even more money we don't have, more taxes, more intrusion.

According to the Right, they would like to see the UNSUSTAINABLE federal government shrink, in size, in spending, in intrusion.

Tell me how those two opposing views meet in the middle.

I really don't have anything good to say about the Left - I think they are destroying this country. I've met few leftists I can stomach...I had a few lady friends that were riding buddies when I lived in Canada. As you might expect, they usually had their "facts" wrong about US politics.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:41 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,665,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
And speaking of true colors? .. Pelosi saying that they had to vote for a bill before they could find out what was in it was indeed epic .. I nearly fell off my chair when I saw that ..

Both parties are worthless, evil, crooked, corrupt ..
That's what some are saying about Cain's tax plan, too!

************************************************** *******************************

You can't be moderate here. The RW feels that anyone to the left of Atilla the Hun is a "flaming liberal" and will label them as such.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:43 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,476,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Well, according to the Left (and you too?), they would like to see the government spend even more money we don't have, more taxes, more intrusion.

According to the Right, they would like to see the UNSUSTAINABLE federal government shrink, in size, in spending, in intrusion.

Tell me how those two opposing views meet in the middle.
Intelligent, rational people with half a brain usually find a way. You should try it sometime.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:45 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,282,565 times
I do have something nice to say about the more conservative among Americans. Well, traditional conservatives, I mean. I think being fiscally sound is responsible. However, prudence in spending means completely different things to different people.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:47 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,839,210 times
I find it hard to like a party whose idea of progress is to steal from the other guy...

Old 10-17-2011, 08:48 PM

1,147 posts, read 908,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
#1. When 9/11 happened the country pulled together. Only the fringe tin foil hat wearers were calling conspiracy. When the fit hits the shan Dems and Repubs can work together to get stuff done.

#2. Don't be so sure that all republicans are rich and have never had public assistance from one time or another. All the americans out of work today aren't dems or 99%ers. Dems are not the gate keeper or champions of public assistance. Repubs have no problem with awarding public assistance where it is most needed. Repubs don't want public assistance to be a generational career - that's where Repubs and Dems separate on that issue.

P.S. When people seek help they aren't looking for help along partisan lines, they simply want help from any source they can get it. When someone seeks help along partisan lines, it's called a "favor".
1 - Fear doesn't really count. As much as folks like to romanticize what happened in the weeks following 9/11, it really wasn't patriotism. That was fear, and the national equivalent of the fetal position. This is why the duct tape and plastic flew off the shelves as fast as the flags.

2 - I'm not saying all registered Republicans are rich. In my experience it's usually the opposite, which makes those on the extreme right all the more pathetic and saddening. What I'm saying is conservatives frequently speak out against public assistance, while libs typically defend it. That's not my opinion. That's a fact verifiable simply by reading this forum. So no matter what, they have Dems/libs to thank for the fact that it still exists as we know it.

As for that "PS" response, I'm not sure what that means. I don't usually pay attention to party lines when asking for, or performing a favor. Scratch my back, and I'll scratch yours.

...but the point wasn't related to splitting those hairs. The point is we all know there is value on both sides of the fence, but nobody ever wants to embrace what works. Instead it's a never ending pissing contest with folks like me (the middle) caught in the middle while we wait for something to get done.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:50 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,282,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I find it hard to like a party whose idea of progress is to steal from the other guy...
Cool. The question was "anything good to say about 'them'". Not whether you could like the opposing party or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies