Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 07:37 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,469,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
Without unions, America would return to a feudalistic society made up of peasant wage slaves and their fabulously wealthy corporate masters. It would be like a modern dystopian version of 14th-century England. No thanks.

I am 100% pro-union. I think all non-farm employees should be part of a union. Unions work for the good of the people, corporate executives work for the good of their wallets.
oh please

unions were a useful tool 75 years ago

now they have become a corporation..they are now part of the problem

in every union shop I worked in

1. work didnt get done, that could be done by anyone, because we had to wait for the union guy (and his many breaks) to do the job

2. the work was done SHODDY, because," hey Im union, I get paid to work or not work, and if I have to come back to do the job a second or third time, will still get paid"

3. the unions guys get PENCILED on their 'credintials' and are LESS TRAINED than the other guy

4. unions had a much higher turn around, because.... " hey after 3 years get hurt and then take a 3/4 disability"

my last shop was a non-union shop...the 'members' wanted union...my boss said ok...so they lowered them down to union wages....and no more 4th of july butcher package...no more profit sharing...no more thanksgiving turkey...no more christmas ham...and no more overtime.......................wasnt long before the 'union' slugs were gone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 07:52 AM

78,324 posts, read 60,517,579 times
Quote:
Good! We need strong unions in this country -- they protect American workers from the greedy corporate fascists. Finally, the unions are doing something to support the rights of poor and middle-class Americans. The union movement used to be about political reform, and it needs to return to that role.
Most of the unions are PUBLIC and as such aren't protecting anyone from corporations.

Do you know ANYTHING about NAFTA? What it did? Who passed it and what has been the impact to unions?

The union leadership and politicians are all inter-twined now, they are the huge danger to the actual workers.

FYI- Have you been following what is going on in Chicago with Emanuel and the unions?

Old 10-18-2011, 07:56 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,341,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Here is the first 4

1. Pass a bill to reinstate Glass-Steagall, a safeguard separating banks' commercial lending and investment operations. "Its repeal in 1999 is considered the major cause of the global financial meltdown of 2008-09," the group states.

2. Repeal Bush-era tax cuts.

3. Prosecute "the Wall Street criminals who clearly broke the law and helped cause the 2008 financial crisis."

4. Overturn a 2010 Supreme Court decision that allows corporations "to contribute unlimited amounts of money to campaigns."

Occupy Chicago's list of 12 demands - Chicago Tribune

What do they propose to do when they receive a big fat NO?

Old 10-18-2011, 07:56 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,323,020 times
Quote:
Without unions, America would return to a feudalistic society made up of peasant wage slaves and their fabulously wealthy corporate masters. It would be like a modern dystopian version of 14th-century England. No thanks.

I am 100% pro-union. I think all non-farm employees should be part of a union. Unions work for the good of the people, corporate executives work for the good of their wallets.
Right. The sun would stop shining and the wind stop blowing if there were no more unions. Give me a break. I'm 100% anti-union. Just look at right to work states that people in the high tax/high COL North are flocking to. Why is that. Unions for the most part suck. They steal employee wages to line the pockets of the mobster fatcat union bosses who are in bed with the politicians.

Unions have outlived their useful existence and need to die now. We have laws against child labor and workplace safety. We have OSHA. We don't need unions, especially in the public sector. They suck the life out of the corporate America.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:02 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,910,074 times
I am not a capitalist. I don't believe that efficiency should be the goal, I think that equity should be the goal. Everyone has the right to a job. We need to keep workers in obsolete jobs to keep them employed. It is better for society when everyone is employed.[/quote]

This is where we disagree. I have been in Union jobs, and non-union. Job obsolecence is a natural process. Improvements of technology usually help make etter products and improve plant safety.

That kind of thinking is what hurts the union cause.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:29 AM

78,324 posts, read 60,517,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I am not a capitalist. I don't believe that efficiency should be the goal, I think that equity should be the goal. Everyone has the right to a job. We need to keep workers in obsolete jobs to keep them employed. It is better for society when everyone is employed.
This is where we disagree. I have been in Union jobs, and non-union. Job obsolecence is a natural process. Improvements of technology usually help make etter products and improve plant safety.

That kind of thinking is what hurts the union cause.[/quote]

Case in point:

Longshoremen have opposed computerizing the ship manifests. They want to keep having jobs where people are paid 114k a year to RE-TYPE the manifests from the ships system into their system.

I wonder how many of those super-cush jobs are occupied by the relatives of the union and political higher ups.

In turn, they contribute to the politicians and rally votes for them....we don't really have democracies in many major cities. Case in point, Chicago where Rahm Emanuel managed to barter his job in the whitehouse for the mayors job in Chicago.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:35 AM

37,955 posts, read 22,131,406 times
Quote:
Here is the first 4

1. Pass a bill to reinstate Glass-Steagall, a safeguard separating banks' commercial lending and investment operations. "Its repeal in 1999 is considered the major cause of the global financial meltdown of 2008-09," the group states.

3. Prosecute "the Wall Street criminals who clearly broke the law and helped cause the 2008 financial crisis."

4. Overturn a 2010 Supreme Court decision that allows corporations "to contribute unlimited amounts of money to campaigns."

I don't disagree with 1&3, but other laws would need to be changed to accommodate #4, and repealing #2 would cause everyone's taxes to go up. But first, can we also hold our politicians accountable? Why do they get a free pass on corruption?

Old 10-18-2011, 09:38 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,439,262 times
Quote:
Here is the first 4

Lets not forget Frank, Dodd, and others who made millions from the fannie/freddie fiasco.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:45 AM

37,955 posts, read 22,131,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Looks like they got some union negotiator help in writing their demands.
Make a big list with a lot of 'throw away' items, expecting to get a few.
Demand # 12 is throw away #1
and the media is assisting them also

Journolist 2.0: Occupy Wall Street Emails Show MSM, Dylan Ratigan, Working With Protesters To Craft Message - Big Journalism

Big Journalism has learned that the Occupy Washington DC movement is working with well-known media members to craft its demands and messaging while these media members report on the movement. Someone has made the emails from the Occupy Wall Street email distro public and searchable. The names in the list are a veritable who’s who in media.

Journolist 2.0 includes well known names such as MSNBC’s Dylan Ratigan, Rolling Stone’s Matt Taibbi who both are actively participating; involvement from other listers such as Bill Moyers and Glenn Greenwald plus well-known radicals like Noam Chomsky, remains unclear. The list also includes a number of radical organizers, such as Kevin Zeese.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:52 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,591,490 times
Quote:
Here is the first 4

...and people wonder why Ron Paul is getting so much support, when all others fail.

How much truth do you see in this...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies