U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-18-2011, 05:03 PM
C.C
 
2,235 posts, read 2,070,907 times
Reputation: 461

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by postingMan View Post
Maybe I should've been more specific... in the post you quoted, replace "not paying income tax" with "not being required to pay income tax."
OK - so again, by that logic, why should anyone "be required to pay income tax"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-18-2011, 05:21 PM
 
31,385 posts, read 32,116,018 times
Reputation: 14896
An interesting look at the demographics of those who pay income and payroll taxes




http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...eck/notax.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2011, 05:22 PM
 
31,385 posts, read 32,116,018 times
Reputation: 14896
You won't like the messenger but some interesting stats;

Getting the Facts Straight on America's Tax Burden | The White House
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2011, 05:33 PM
 
75 posts, read 45,830 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It would be more fair than a flat tax. With a flat tax, some end up paying many, many times more than others for the exact same government protections, benefits, and services.
So it wouldn't bother you to have the government (possibly) forcibly extract survival money from very low-income people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2011, 05:36 PM
 
75 posts, read 45,830 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.C View Post
OK - so again, by that logic, why should anyone "be required to pay income tax"?
Because the government needs the revenue to function I guess, same as with payroll taxes. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2011, 05:38 PM
 
66,558 posts, read 30,370,727 times
Reputation: 8687
Quote:
Originally Posted by postingMan View Post
So it wouldn't bother you to possibly have the government forcibly extract survival money from very low-income people?
The federal government should extract income tax from ALL earners. They ALL benefit from federal protections, services, and benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2011, 05:40 PM
 
75 posts, read 45,830 times
Reputation: 27
You didn't answer the question though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2011, 05:40 PM
 
2,226 posts, read 1,766,180 times
Reputation: 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Because they would have very little left to say?

Perfect examples of why there can never be peace, prosperity, and healthy working middleclass and the good old fashioned idea that each American family can live peaceably and amically with his neighbors. You must be so proud!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2011, 05:58 PM
 
1,085 posts, read 1,586,557 times
Reputation: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Interesting figures on the 47% of "dead beat" Americans who pay no income tax:

At or below the median income:

68% earn less than 50k per year (63.2 million)

At or above median income:

12.5% earning incomes between 50k-100k per year (4.3 million)

02.1% earning incomes between $100k-$500k (485,000)

01.6% earning incomes between $500-$1m (14,000)

01.% earning incomes over $1m (4,000)
Great information that has changed my perspective. It has been characterized, and I have bought into the characterization, that the bottom half of earners are not paying income tax. Turns out it's about the bottom third, and a smattering of people from higher income brackets. While I think the threshold should be about the bottom 20-25%, 33% is closer to that than the socially problematic bottom 50%. It never occurred to me that those with losses "carrying forward" were such a significant part of the non-payers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2011, 06:37 PM
C.C
 
2,235 posts, read 2,070,907 times
Reputation: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by postingMan View Post
Because the government needs the revenue to function I guess, same as with payroll taxes. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make...
Huh? Didn't you say "I still don't understand why not paying income tax matters if people already pay other taxes."? Everybody "already pays other taxes", so by your logic it shouldn't "matter" if anyone pays income taxes, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:15 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top