Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 01:10 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,446,502 times

Advertisements

The student loan threads here reminded me of something I saw some time ago:

Let's say a big college has lots of buildings and therefore lots of janitors to clean said buildings.

Let's say that half the janitors work full time and have a contract negotiated by their union. The union janitors are paid 3x minimum wage and also have a generous fringe benefit package which includes health insurance, retirement plan, a slew of paid holidays, plus paid vacation and leave time.

The other half of the janitors are students who work half time, have no union and no contract. They are paid 50 cents to a dollar above minimum wage with no fringe benefits. To student janitors, holidays represent forced time off without pay. Also, the union contract prohibits the college from employing full-time students more than 29 hours per week, thereby making it impossible for students to patch together a full-time income through multiple part-time jobs on campus.

Task assignments are given by building foremen who are union janitors. This produces the ironic result that the janitors paid the least are the ones doing the most and the hardest work. (I cleaned restrooms and did floor care, while the union janitors emptied trash cans from offices.)

What should student janitors do? Should they be grateful for the opportunity to earn more than minimum wage? Should they form their own union and negotiate for better compensation? What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 03:32 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,269,493 times
They should find another job if they don't like it.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:13 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,036,965 times
The more logical thing would be to join the union and participate in future contract negotiations. Next question?

Old 10-18-2011, 09:18 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
What Ovcatto said. Join the union, pay dues, work to contract.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:40 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,812,088 times
If you're a student, then this won't be your lifelong career. Just deal with it until you graduate.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:18 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,316,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
What Ovcatto said. Join the union, pay dues, work to contract.
And give up his excremental income?

Old 10-18-2011, 11:21 AM

4,911 posts, read 3,428,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
The student loan threads here reminded me of something I saw some time ago:

Let's say a big college has lots of buildings and therefore lots of janitors to clean said buildings.

Let's say that half the janitors work full time and have a contract negotiated by their union. The union janitors are paid 3x minimum wage and also have a generous fringe benefit package which includes health insurance, retirement plan, a slew of paid holidays, plus paid vacation and leave time.

The other half of the janitors are students who work half time, have no union and no contract. They are paid 50 cents to a dollar above minimum wage with no fringe benefits. To student janitors, holidays represent forced time off without pay. Also, the union contract prohibits the college from employing full-time students more than 29 hours per week, thereby making it impossible for students to patch together a full-time income through multiple part-time jobs on campus.

Task assignments are given by building foremen who are union janitors. This produces the ironic result that the janitors paid the least are the ones doing the most and the hardest work. (I cleaned restrooms and did floor care, while the union janitors emptied trash cans from offices.)

What should student janitors do? Should they be grateful for the opportunity to earn more than minimum wage? Should they form their own union and negotiate for better compensation? What would you do?
Why couldn't they join the union that was already there?

Old 10-18-2011, 11:21 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,310 times
If I was the student I would take to the internets and complain.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:22 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,475,534 times
Quote:
What would you do?
find a better job

Old 10-18-2011, 11:23 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,622,029 times
Quote:
What should student janitors do?
they should focus on graduating, and building skills that are useful for a real job.

i worked as a student web developer in college, making minimum wage. was it fair? hah. no. I was surrounded by lazy , incompetent bureaucrats in some Dean's office, who were getting paid $50k, $100k /year to delegate work to me. I used that job, as well as the all the other crap jobs I worked in my youth, as motivation to learn skills that are useful in a career.

Oh, and use this as a learning experience, that unions are the devil's work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies